Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2008 frame on tacoma im looking at

Old 02-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
angryseas is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
angryseas's Tacoma Gallery
2008 frame on tacoma im looking at

picof a frame im looking at just wondering of anyone's thoughts. Most of the frame is pretty black with some surface rust but had a 6-8in section where there is rust and some seperation just on the lowere portion where the two section come together(just forward of rear leaf springs)
Attached Thumbnails
2008 frame on tacoma im looking at-0228141348.jpg   2008 frame on tacoma im looking at-0228141351a.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
those are some terrible pictures..
Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on photos, hard to tell anything...
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
yea i know sorry cheap phone tried several times but that was best i could get esp with the glare ...appreciate you taking a look though
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I can almost see the UFO in the blur!

Weird that it's spreading it already if most of the frame still looks ok.

The part to look at closely on 2nd gens seems to be up by the cats where the frame turns upwards, just about where the front edge of the driver's door is, on the inside area of the box frame. That's where more than one person has found a substantial hole after they bought it so you might want to crawl under and check there too.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
nofearracer is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
nofearracer's Tacoma Gallery
I know exactly what OP is talking about. My 2005 that i bought in early 2007 has had the same patch of rusty area where the two layers of steel end facing inward at the bottom. Glad to say that is the ONLY speck of rust on my truck. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Since i bought my truck i spray the entire frame and all the suspension parts, all nuts, bolts, hard brake lines and their connections, all brackets and braces -(basically anything not undercoated that is prone to rust) with a penetrating grease. NOT WD40 but that is better than nothing i guess. 7 years later i have NO rust issues. We shouldn't have to do these things but ....... Try even some motor oil on any rusty spots.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
i know the pictures are pretty weak wish i could have gotten better but more wonderign if others have had rust in this section and how quickly it progressed. Any input is appreciated. Gunshy after my 04 got bit by the frame bug but gotta $h*t or get off the pot here at some point and seems like fronteir with thier trans/radiator issues or dodging the frame bug. I guess my question to the forum would be...Is it realistic to find a frame(05-2010) that doesnt have some troubling rust? Again thanks for the input
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryseas View Post
i know the pictures are pretty weak wish i could have gotten better but more wonderign if others have had rust in this section and how quickly it progressed. Any input is appreciated. Gunshy after my 04 got bit by the frame bug but gotta $h*t or get off the pot here at some point and seems like fronteir with thier trans/radiator issues or dodging the frame bug. I guess my question to the forum would be...Is it realistic to find a frame(05-2010) that doesnt have some troubling rust? Again thanks for the input

Yes purchase it outside of the salt belt. Down south or out in the mid west
Old 03-01-2014, 03:51 AM   #9
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
Treat with some rust killer , and paint it , swap out a frame for 8" no. I've seen some way worst than your's and still on the road.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
That's nothing, just wait. My '06 was way worse than that, I even painted the frame with chassis saver and it rusted through that too. It was never an issue other than cosmetic, yet one of the reasons that I traded it in.... that and the 175,000 miles on the clicker.

Take a look at the arms that stick out for the front rubber cab mounts, that's where mine got the worst. Based on my experience, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it, its still a fantastic truck. Get yourself some cheap harbor freight paint and some POR15 and paint it up. These pictures were before and after with chassis saver.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
bailed on it considering an 05 that is about to undergo frame replacement..anybody have any suggestions on what i could ask them to do in addition as a bargaining tool
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Astronomy photos?

For an '08 that's not bad living in the North East. Mention the rust to the seller and and see if they'll knock some $ off the price.... It won't hurt to ask.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
That's nothing, just wait. My '06 was way worse than that, I even painted the frame with chassis saver and it rusted through that too. It was never an issue other than cosmetic, yet one of the reasons that I traded it in.... that and the 175,000 miles on the clicker.

Take a look at the arms that stick out for the front rubber cab mounts, that's where mine got the worst. Based on my experience, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it, its still a fantastic truck. Get yourself some cheap harbor freight paint and some POR15 and paint it up. These pictures were before and after with chassis saver.

Any prep? Looks like "frame saver" was just caked on atop of rust and peeled up paint. May be reason it came back.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure some sanding could've helped.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't that the rule for painting for how many coats to apply:

Once over dust, twice over rust.