Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2014 defrost blowing out oily film-Anyone?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
nofearracer is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
nofearracer's Tacoma Gallery
2014 defrost blowing out oily film-Anyone?

My brother bought a new 2014 Tacoma in Dec and has had to clean the inside of his windshield 2 times already because of a oily film coating that is worse near the bottom of the windshield. You rub your finger in it and it kinda smears and is streaky. He brought it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. Really?? Sounds like it is leaking a little freon to me. Also someone on TW said whenever you turn on your defroster,(hot or cold) the A/C compressor turns on to dry the air that is blowing on the windshield. Can anyone confirm that the oily film is normal for a new tacoma for the first couple months, and also the A/C compressor turn on w/ defrost?? Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
TugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
TugBoatTrash's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearracer View Post
My brother bought a new 2014 Tacoma in Dec and has had to clean the inside of his windshield 2 times already because of a oily film coating that is worse near the bottom of the windshield. You rub your finger in it and it kinda smears and is streaky. He brought it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. Really?? Sounds like it is leaking a little freon to me. Also someone on TW said whenever you turn on your defroster,(hot or cold) the A/C compressor turns on to dry the air that is blowing on the windshield. Can anyone confirm that the oily film is normal for a new tacoma for the first couple months, and also the A/C compressor turn on w/ defrost?? Thanks
Sounds like a load of crap to me. Never had oily mist coming out of any vent on any vehicle.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Dooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDooly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dooly's Tacoma Gallery
I've only had mine for a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed the film yet, but yes the a/c comes on with the defrost (though it doesn't light the indicator on the a/c button).
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
TugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shedTugBoatTrash is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BTW, the a/c does come on when your defrost is on. All / Most cars for the last 15-20 years have done this.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

Thanks guys -Yes It is a load of crap!! I will ask my brother to check his Cold A/C output once in a while to see if it is still cold or leaking Freon. Or since he has had it on the heat setting maybe it could be a leaking heater core(Antifreeze). Hmmmmm......... Think the dealer has some work to do in the near future!! Thanks again... Happy motoring!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Is there another stealership around he could use? that might know what they are doing
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
It's always possible that there is a freon leak, but I suspect what you're actually seeing is the plastics off-gassing.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Is there another stealership around he could use? that might know what they are doing
X2 I use heart toyota in Dartmouth. Bout an hour from you but they have always been very honest with me.

Edit: Forgot they changed their name to Toyota of Darmouth ten years ago.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

There is Tarbox Toyota in Warwick area-30 min- and Girard Toyota in New London CT 25 min. Live in Westerly. I have dealt with Girard in the past and don't really have anything great to say bout them. Anyone deal with Tarbox?? He bought from Valenti in Westerly.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #10

Never dealt with Tarbox, but also haven't heard any bad things about them. They handled my father in laws frame rust buyback and he was happy with the experience.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
It's always possible that there is a freon leak, but I suspect what you're actually seeing is the plastics off-gassing.
This is what I was thinking too. The dashboard materials normally off-gas for awhile in new vehicles. The inside of my windshield gets a bit filmy as well from this phenomena and I bought my truck new in September.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
This is what I was thinking too. The dashboard materials normally off-gas for awhile in new vehicles. The inside of my windshield gets a bit filmy as well from this phenomena and I bought my truck new in September.
My 2012 still fogs the windshield. I don't think it will ever totally go away, just take longer to get annoying.

I keep a towel in the truck just to wipe it down every now and then.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #13

Interesting. Well maybe it could be normal... for some Tacoma's at least. Don't think anyone buying a new vehicle should have to deal with that. Maybe they should use a better quality material. Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearracer View Post
Interesting. Well maybe it could be normal... for some Tacoma's at least. Don't think anyone buying a new vehicle should have to deal with that. Maybe they should use a better quality material. Thanks guys
All plastics do it to some extent - it's unavoidable in modern cars.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #15
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed the "fog" or whatever that is more on this Tacoma than any other vehicle I have ever had. Minor annoyance but I have to wipe the windshield down at least once every week or two or it glares in the sun depending on the angle. Those microfiber cloths work well.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
Flowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
My windshield had a film on it as well new from the dealer, I cleaner it off as good as possible with glass cleaner but you need to use a degreaser to get it all off, it's not from the defroster because I never used it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Oily film would typically indicate a leaky heater coil. The film would be antifreeze escaping through the coil and be deposited on the windshield. It should smell like antifreeze if this is the case.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Oily film would typically indicate a leaky heater coil. The film would be antifreeze escaping through the coil and be deposited on the windshield. It should smell like antifreeze if this is the case.
X2. Don't agree that this is due to plastic. But, he did not mention the sickly sweet smell of freeze.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #19
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
X2
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have suction cup marks on the glass? Clean it with alcohol then glass cleaner it is not freon. Yes the A/C comes on just like every other car/truck made today on defrost.