1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New and have 06 in my sights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Buck Braddock, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    Buck Braddock

Buck Braddock [OP] Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport SWB Double Cab
    I am looking at a 2006 TRD sport with 68,000. Dealer ( not a yoda dealer ) is asking $19,000. I think the price is fair BUT, I am concerned about the frame rot. I have not inspected the under body yet but will do so in the morning. This is a truck I've always wanted and it will be hard to walk away. So, how much rot is too much? Should I try and get it to a Toyota dealer? Records show it was serviced at a dealer at 56,000. Thought I'd post a link to the dealers page.
    http://cars.marketplacemazda.com/ma...a-Sport-Double-Cab-SR5-4X4/5TELU42N56Z162815/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    Looks nice, price all depends on what that frame looks like, my 06 looks pretty darn good, good luck, love that blue color...

3. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:51 AM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I paid $20k for my AC, with 34,xxx miles up in Greece in November of 2012. It's not a TRD, but it's a SR5 package and is nicely equipped. I personally would look around here and the net, and educate yourself the best you can. Then I'd find an independent shop to put it up on a lift. Take it to a car wash first, then to the shop. Inspect it, have your buddy inspect it, hell have your grandma inspect it :D. Another dealer is not a guarantee. If you arm yourself with the knowledge, you are more powerful than them. Good Luck, and I hope it works out.

4. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    Buck Braddock

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    My mind was eased a little today, put her up on the lift and to my pleasant surprise the truck had been undercoated. More rust than I would have like to seen but surely better than some I have seen. So after walking away from the table, going home and writing an email to the salesman he called us back out and we take delivery on Monday. So glad to own a Tacoma.

5. Mar 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    X2, and undercoating doesn't stop rust that's already there. Plus undercoating holds moisture in when it start's to crack/check.

6. Mar 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    Buck Braddock

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Hey all, undercoat was far from fresh. If i had to guess I would say it was applied when new and I can see by what was mentioned about the peels holding moisture. I guess there are not too many used tacomas in my area , and fewer with great frames. I am searching away over here on the next best step on treating and preventing more rust. Post or send me a link? No papers have been signed yet.

7. Mar 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    SierraMare

SierraMare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD OffRoad Xtracab, stepside bed, 2.7 L, 5-speed manual
    ARE cap, BFG KO2 (LT 245/75R16), Front Bilstein 5100 with OME 2881 coils, Rear HS 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Looking at image 14 of the dealer's web page, that hitch is showing a lot of rust. I own the same year and color. Keep an eye on things, and be as proactive as you can be. Dealership rust proofing isn't a nirvana, so be diligent...

8. Mar 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    Buck Braddock

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Yes I noticed the hitch also. It was one of the worst areas. I believe it was due to never being coated or the finish was different, it looked different from the frame .

Products Discussed in

To Top