1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lunchbox Locker, Who Has One?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by avw4x4, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 [OP] Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Alright guys, I'm starting to really enjoy off-roading and think a locked rear end would help out a fair deal. Unfortunately I'm not made out of money and can't really afford an ARB at the moment and I would like to wait to put one in until I decide to regear as well. I was thinking for the time being (maybe 2 years max) of putting a lock-rite locker in the rear end of my truck.

I find this option very attractive because it's only $350 and I can put it in pretty easily. I've heard they aren't ideal for street use but I don't know how much this would actually affect me personally. Right now I drive about a hundred miles round trip to and from work, obviously that's way too much street use to even consider installing something that will bother me on the road. Despite this, my thought was I could wait until it warms up then put the locker in. Once it's warm I ride my motorcycle everywhere and rarely use the truck, other than to go wheeling. I figure when motorcycle season ends if the locker really is that annoying on the street I can throw my spider gears back in and be set for the winter again.

The way I see it, for me this option would be much cheaper and only somewhat more of a hassle than an ARB for me. I will be going off-roading much more in the warmer months than the winter and I won't be using the truck for much else so the lock-rite seems like a viable solution. Only drawback is 2x a year I'll have to swap it with spider gears but that's a couple hours of work max.

Let me know what you guys think, am I missing something obvious here in an attempt to save some money?

2. Feb 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for. Nothing is worth than dropping a substantial amount of money into something and then having it break or not be what you wanted and then having to drop even more money on something else. I could see it being a bit of a pain having to deal with the swaps. Driving a locker on the street would probably be really really bad for the components.

Personally I would wait until I could afford the ARB. Not only do you get the locker but you get the air compressor which would be great for airing up and down on the trail.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1309-testing-lunchbox-lockers-differential-upgrades/ Just a review to consider.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Feb 28, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 [OP] Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....

I do agree about getting what you pay for but for the time being I see the ARB as more of a convenience that I would be paying for opposed to swapping the locker in and out based on the seasons. I also like to do things (especially expensive things) once. IE sending my third members out to be setup, if I eventually go the ARB route I will be regearing which is more $$$, if I'm already having work done on the front I may as well shell out a bit more and get a front locker as well. All said and done that would set me out $2500 pretty quickly. Eventually I do want to go that route, I just figured for the time being a lock-rite could suit the bill and help me offroad.

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    I have Yukon grizzle lockers in mine and the are awesome the work like a Detroit without the racheting noise and their bullet proof.

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    The only thing about the lunch box is that it is always locked if I'm not mistaken and that would be a really bad time if you had to drive your truck while it was in. Idk having to get like milk or something while it is raining would be a bad time. They seem to me to be for a dedicated trail rig that gets towed to the location and then towed him at the end of the day.

Anyways only you will know what will work best for you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    technikiller

technikiller Member

Member:
    Tucson
    I had one in my 2003 5 lug. I took it back out because it made it difficult to shift the manual. You'd have to double clutch to ensure a smooth shift. Plus, i was in Buffalo, NY at the time. The rear being locked can get hairy on uphills in the snow, you fishtail a LOT.
    I'd avoid them.

7. Feb 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    SeminoleTRD

SeminoleTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fleming Island
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DCLB
    3" ProComp Add-a-leaf, 1.5" SpiderTrax, Center Bearing shim, Nitto TerraGrappler 285/70R17, Volant Air Box, BakFlip Tonneau HD, DIY 3.5mm AUX Jack install, D-Ring bed mounts, Plasti-Dipped badges, Dumped 50 Series Flowmaster with DeltaFlow Tech, Lumen LED Fog Lights, Lumen Marker Lights, Spyder Smoke Headlights, Satoshi Grill, Anytime Fogs
    Lock-right makes different degrees of lunchbox lockers. The Yukon mentioned above does get a lot of good reviews. I have the Lock-right trutrac I think it is called in my Jeep and I love it, but it is not my daily driver. It is not always locked like cheesit mentioned (that would be a "spool" just so you know) but they do lock up a lot when making slow sharp turns. It is mechanical and when it feels that outside tire spinning significantly faster it will lock and chirp the tire a bit. I learned to drive with it and rarely make it lock anymore. For a daily, maybe a ARB or OX (though expensive) may be your best bet. I like the lunch box because it is a sealed system. I specifically bought my Taco because it had the LSD in it. Hope it helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top