Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thoughts on Painting Grill/Emblems

Old 03-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
War Eagle!
ffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: 11 years on the job 8 with TFRS. A.O. Medic Eng. 4
Name: Daniel
ffdan83's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on Painting Grill/Emblems

I have a Super White Tacoma which has a Chrome and black grill. I'm trying to decide if I want to paint the entire thing black or paint the center Toyota emblem black to match what it is mounted on and the rest of the grill that is now Chrome white to match the truck. I plan on making all of my accessories black. (toolbox, predator bars, ect.) Any input from y'all on which would look better would be much appreciated.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Blacker than the blackest black times infinity.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
It's not really what we think, it's up to. You can always Plasti Dip it and if you don't like it you can take it off. With paint, once it's on there, it's on there. Just another option you can use.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
ragincajun35 is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
ragincajun35's Tacoma Gallery
BLACK!!!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
Moe3192 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Moe3192's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
It's not really what we think, it's up to. You can always Plasti Dip it and if you don't like it you can take it off. With paint, once it's on there, it's on there. Just another option you can use.
What is Plasti Dip? Can someone do it themselves and does it last?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
OKJC is a jewel in the roughOKJC is a jewel in the roughOKJC is a jewel in the roughOKJC is a jewel in the rough
Name: Justin
OKJC's Tacoma Gallery

Looks great in person, and it's different than everyone else. Just an idea...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Plastidip is basically plastic/rubber spray in a can, it comes in a variety of colors, typically found online or in home depot or Walmart. I would say color match your chrome part to your truck, so paint it white. It will look much better than a black grill against the white of your truck. You could black the center emblem out or leave it chrome.
Edit: I am going to have a color matched one soon, look at my build if you want to see chrome vs. Black
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery

Black. I hate chrome.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
War Eagle!
ffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to beholdffdan83 is a splendid one to behold

ffdan83's Tacoma Gallery
I'm defiantly going to get rid of the chrome! Just can't decide if I want it all to be black or just the center black and the outside (chrome part) to be white to match my truck. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdan83 View Post
I'm defiantly going to get rid of the chrome! Just can't decide if I want it all to be black or just the center black and the outside (chrome part) to be white to match my truck. I'm leaning towards the latter.
White would look good no doubt. I was just afraid it would be too hard to match. That and I'm lazy and I can paint the black myself. It's in my build page BTW.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say color match it like the Sports.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
I painted (plastidip) my Grill black with superwhite emblem...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...215-build.html
Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
spieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spieler's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is for having your emblem carbon fiber dipped at liquid innovations and get a white surround like I did. But then again Im pretty biased....

Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Firefighter:
^^^ Very Nice ^^^
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
War Eagle!

ffdan83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieler View Post
My vote is for having your emblem carbon fiber dipped at liquid innovations and get a white surround like I did. But then again Im pretty biased....

Mine is the XSP-X so it has that carbon fiber in the cab, I'd love to have the grill done like that too. I wonder if they could do the entire grill (black part like that) and then paint the chrome outside super white.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Mops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mop
Mops's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine yesterday. And swapped out the amber bulbs.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mops View Post
Did mine yesterday. And swapped out the amber bulbs.

Very nice!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdan83 View Post
Mine is the XSP-X so it has that carbon fiber in the cab, I'd love to have the grill done like that too. I wonder if they could do the entire grill (black part like that) and then paint the chrome outside super white.
That would look nice
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
It's a spray that you spray on to your project. It coats it, it's not permanent. It's not like paint. There is no experience needed. How long it's going to last is a variable. Depends on where you live, your climate. If you have salt, sand, rocks, debris etc. People do full vehicles, rims etc. If you go to youtube search "Dipyourcar(DYC)." There is a forum under the same name as well. Lots of information. Lots of members Plasti Dip here as well.

The two pictures below are the front grill, lower valance and back bumper I did last summer.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Mops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shedMops is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mop
Mops's Tacoma Gallery
My badge is dipped, as well as other random things around the house haha. Handy stuff for sure. Glad I ran across your pic. I am wanting to black the lower piece as well. The current oem color is not a good fit.