1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Supercharge kit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drek, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    Eggbert

Eggbert Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 dcsb TRD OR Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, MBRP DualCatback, DT Shortie Headers, Regeared with 4.56 ECGS 3rd and Clamshell, URD 2.55" Stealth pulley, AEM Methanol 5 gallon kit, URD Perf Thermostat, NST Lightweight crank pulley, URD 61lb injectors, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, URD Fuel Pump upgrade, AEM Boost and Wideband gauges, OEM FPR Mod, RBP Black Exhaust Tips, Icon Stage 6, Fuel Octane wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/r17, Color match rear bumper, Color match hood with skewp, Color match grill, Color match valance, Derped grill emblem, Derped Tuffbar bullbar, OEM Skidplate, AVS Ventvisors, Bodyside Moldings, RBP RX3 nerf bars, Color Match Bushwacker Pocket Flares/Rivets, Undercover LE Tonneau, Katzkin heated leather, Bel Stir-Plus Radar, Sprint Booster, Dynamat/Hushpad, Polk dxi691 - front, Polk dx1651 - rear, Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack, Front tint 35 percent, Weathertech front mats, Smoked tail lights, LED DRLs, Coupe TRD Battery tie-down, Coupe TRD CAI Cover
    Getting my S/C installed next weekend right after install of ICON Stage IV and new 33" tires mid-week...can't wait! :yay:

2. Mar 9, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Mtniner

Mtniner Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Montana
    I just had my TRD s/c installed last week, will be getting 33's soon, I have a 3" lift and TRD exhaust. Mine is an automatic and I only got about 12-13 mpg in city before the s/c, not sure about highway. Haven't gone through a full tank yet but so far it seems to be about the same MPG if I stay off the pedal, that's been tough though, she pulls hard now and sounds a lot better now.

3. Mar 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Your truck is still new. Once you hit 10K+ the engine and stuff loosens up. Normally with the auto you get better milage, but with the SC I have found because I can control it more than the auto I can get better milage.

4. Mar 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    OKJC

OKJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NWArkansas
    Vehicle:
    '10 SC 4x4 TRD Sport
  5. Mar 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Tsabetsaye

Tsabetsaye SuperCharged!

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Zuni & Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Supercharged!
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back, Entune Navigation, Cordura custom seat covers, custom Northridge Rubber Floor Mats, OME 3" lift, Coming soon: Unichip tune; maybe regear with bigger tires.
    The TRD ECU reflash has the shift points set too conservatively and shifts too soon before it peaks on the power curve so the truck looses out on the efficiencies. However, you can manipulate the auto tranny like a manual. You don't have a clutch, so you can just let the computer do all the shifting--you decide when. Also works for down-shifting to apply engine breaks, or when you need to rev up. The only limitation here is that the computer will not downshift until it drops to low enough speeds and rpms. It's a safety feature to keep you from blowing your engine.

So effectively, you can emulate your auto tranny like a manual tranny without over stressing your engine. The computer will do all the shifting, so that you don't have to worry about burning out a clutch or grinding the tranny.

6. Mar 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    Mtniner

Mtniner Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Montana
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm hoping MPG will get better as things wear in.

I'm not sure what you mean here exactly. Are you referring to shifting manually using the 2-3-4 options on the shifter? I get what you are saying about using the engine brakes just not sure how to prevent up shifts before peaks on the power curve.

7. Mar 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    Tsabetsaye

Tsabetsaye SuperCharged!

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Zuni & Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back, Entune Navigation, Cordura custom seat covers, custom Northridge Rubber Floor Mats, OME 3" lift, Coming soon: Unichip tune; maybe regear with bigger tires.
    Yes, I use my 2,3,4,D shifter like a manual shifter. Many late model sports cars take this idea and use the "Sport Shifter" with the "+" "-". My wife drives a BMW 328xi manual, but when she takes her car in for service, she's given a car for the day which are the latest models. BMWs are replacing manual with these "Sport Shifter" feature.

Shifting this way allows the driver to emulate a manual driving experience.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  8. Mar 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    Tsabetsaye

Tsabetsaye SuperCharged!

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Zuni & Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Mtniner,

Check this out:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/...ource=index&article=adaptive_trans_management

Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).
    Whether driving in city traffic or coming out of a curve at speed: Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM) recognises your individual driving style and automatically selects the right gear at the right moment, eliminating unnecessary shifts.

ATM integrates data input from the accelerator pedal and the engine management system. By analysing the timing and manner that the driver applies the accelerator, ATM autonomously learns the driver's style - noting, for example, whether the engine brake is often used, or if a gear is downshifted to accelerate out of curves. This pattern is continuously monitored, so that ATM always adapts to the style of the current driver.
    In addition to the driver's individual style, ATM analyses the prevailing driving conditions: driving in winter or in mountainous areas, ATM shifts gears differently to driving in normal conditions. Stop-and-go traffic or winding roads are recognised. This results in fewer and more precise gear shifts, letting you fully focus on the dynamic performance of your BMW.​

The auto tranny on the Tacoma essentially does this already with the Traction Control, but the traction control is programmed to reduce power to the wheels when it detects too much power to the wheels. THiS is way too much computer manipulation that reduces the total efficiency of the engine by cutting the power to the wheels as the engine starts producing power close to the peak of the power curve. You can disable this feature by pressing and holding for 5 seconds the button that turns off the traction control. You must be braked to a complete stop before the computer is disabled. You want to do this when you are racing or crawling. If you leave it enabled, and you go rock crawling, no power will be transferred to your wheels and the engine will shut off even when you floor the gas pedal.

9. Mar 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    Redline

Redline Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Redlining
    did you feel the differnce once you threw that on?

10. Mar 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Night and day difference.... Once the pulley was put it, it was like waking an angry beast. Its how the SC should have come from TRD.

11. Mar 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    DizzyD

DizzyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 longbed
    What the MPG like once the super charger is installed?

12. Mar 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Technically NO... but there is no way for them to know without throwing a micrometer on it. It looks identical to factory so there is really nothing that leads them to check.

READ PREVIOUS POSTS...

13. Mar 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    Drakivnsf

Drakivnsf Dance Party Guru

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '12 White Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    If you are talking about the TRD supercharger yes, it will keep your existing warranty. If an outside party installs it, you only get a 12,000 mile 12 month warranty. Now if you install the UDR supercharger than no you dont get to keep your warranty, same goes with the stealth pulley however I have heard that the only way they can tell the pulley is different is with a micrometer and I think thats what extremachn1 was talking about.

14. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:46 AM
    Stribb

Stribb FNG

Member:
    Nowhere, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD, S/C
    TRD OFF ROAD, SUPERCHARGER, 6 SPEED SHORT THROW, ICON STAGE 3, RIGID LIGHTING, LEER TOPPER, LED FOG/BACKUP LIGHTING,
    Bought mine with the S/C on it. Well worth it

15. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM
    Stribb

Stribb FNG

Member:
    Nowhere, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD, S/C
    TRD OFF ROAD, SUPERCHARGER, 6 SPEED SHORT THROW, ICON STAGE 3, RIGID LIGHTING, LEER TOPPER, LED FOG/BACKUP LIGHTING,
    The mileage gets better on the highway. Especially hills. It's hard to maintain in town though. Especially with the added power, all you wanna do is stomp it

16. Mar 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
  17. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
  18. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Thanks.

19. Apr 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    So what was the final consensus on where to buy for the best price? I read through this thread and really had me considering a SC for my 2013 DC 4WD LTD with 15k on it. Also, do you need to put a CAI and different exhaust in at the same time you install the SC? I can see where you would need to, but is it something that can wait? I need help convincing me to buy one:)
    Thanks for all the great info on this thread guys. Any further info GREATLY appreciated!
    Ken

20. Apr 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    Trdsparks.com has the whole kit ( including fit kit ) for $4145.43 Shipped. Seems to be the best price I've found. My buddy already ordered & got his kit from them.

Products Discussed in

To Top