1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Temp, no coverage on Insight CTS,HELP installing sensor?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by keninsb, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mar 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    OK, I have a few questions and have researched the heck out of this thing, but would REALLY value some input. My apologies in advance foe the windy post:eek:
    I have a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab V6 4WD with A/T. I want to have an engine oil pressure gauge and a trans temp gauge. I had heard on the forum that the trans temp was covered using a Scan Gauge or another gauge via the OBD II port. I bought an Edge Insight CTS because I was not crazy about installing several separate gauges. The CTS is pricey, but I really like the idea that it is expandable to cover other parameters not covered in OBD II and now also offer a switch to control off road lights and other accessories AND G-Force, pitch and roll displays (much like a digital version of the FJ pod). Anyway, I was really disappointed to find that transmission fluid temp is not a covered parameter. I don't think that it is a "required" parameter" (one that was required on '96 and newer vehicles) so it must be an "enhanced" parameter which is a manufacturer specific parameter and scan tool makers usually have to pay for the right to cover the parameter OR the trans fluid temp is not covered on the 2013 Tacoma.
    At this point I am pretty committed to the Insight, having my install solution, and other upgrades in motion. My questions are:
    Does anyone know for sure that the trans temp parameter IS available via the OBD II connector?
    Secondly, I would love ANY suggestions for a trans temp sensor install. I already have the sensor, just need a place to install it. Most people it seems are attaching them in-line on the output or input line To/From the trans cooler. See one example . I was also wondering where the factory trans temp gauge sending unit is located on the vehicle? Is it possible to "T" of the line and install a sensor there? I am hearing a lot of people voice their opinions as to where to place it in line: Closer to the output (to the cooler) so they get the hottest temp leaving the trans, or on the return line (coming in from the cooler) to see how cool the fluid is after being run through the cooler.
    Regarding the oil pressure, I have seen some people "T" off of the existing factory sensor like THIS install.
    Just looking for all advice and input regarding this mod. ANY help knowledge advice and input is GREATLY appreciate!
    Sorry again about my endless questions
    thanks',
    Ken

2. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    FYI you can get the trans temp from a cheap ELM327 bluetooth adaptor, and the Torque App for android with a custom PID.... 2 temps actually, the transmission pan temp as well as the torque converter output temp.

As far as oil pressure, these motors only have a pass fail type sensor... where if oil pressure is below a threshold is tells the ecu low oil pressure.... otherwise you dont get anything from it.

3. Mar 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks nd4spd. I already have the Insight CTS and the adapters to monitor Trans Temp and Oil Pressure. I have NO idea why Edge did not cover the transmission/torque converter parameters. I am trying to figure where to put the trans temp sending unit, either inline or wanted to see if there was another spot. I think I may be able to install a T at the oil temp sending unit, but am still contemplating the trans temp.
    Thanks again,
    Ken

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Does anyone else have any suggestions for where to mount the transmission temp sensor? I found a thread on TTORA.com that show a pretty good install solution and I think that Is what I am going to do.
    I am thinking I will install a remote spin on filter in line with the trans temp while I am at it. It should be fairly straight forward on the line from the trans to the trans fluid cooler.
    Ken

5. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    Tao Zero

Tao Zero Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had an Edge programmer on my 6.0L. I would have bought one for my Tacoma in a heartbeat but no tran temp was a deal breaker. I went with the scan gauge. Much cheaper too, but I love the idea of controlling accessories thru the CTS, very cool!

6. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I was REALLY bummed to learn that there was no trans temp. I was also disappointed to learn that Edge is not covering any "enhanced" data, so generic OBD II is all you get. A bunch of the other features are VERY cool. I like the SanGauge coverage, but it just doesn't look like a "modern" unit. I wish you could get the aesthetics of the Insight with the coverage of the ScanGauge.:)
    Ken

Products Discussed in

To Top