1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grinding 1st to 2nd. Possible clutch issue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueBomber, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    BlueBomber

BlueBomber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco SR5 4x4
    Magnaflow 14"
    Tried the search function, and found a few similar problems but no one seemed to have the same problem as me. If there's a thread out there I missed please let me know!

I've had my 09 2.7 for a few weeks now, and since I rolled it off the lot (used, 39k miles) it's grinded a little bit on my 1st to 2nd gear throw (5-spd manual) after a few days I took it back to my dealership, and had them take a peek. The tech said that it was just the floormat blocking the clutch from fully depressing, they trimmed it and gave it back. I didn't notice it that day, but when I took it out the same night to go to work the problem was still there. Worse in fact, since it had gotten so cold.
    I've tried pushing the clutch as far into the floor as I could get it within reason, and still that grind is there. It's not so bad when it's warm, or when I rev up higher in the power band, but I try not to rev it too high until it's up to operating temperature...
    Anyone else experience this in their Tacos? Possible fix, or should I just turn right back around and go to the dealership? :confused:

Also, I should note that it's only 1st to 2nd, not 3rd to 2nd, and I can't feel any binding when the truck is off and I move it through the gears.

dqgil4_4d2ba0b7f1e3725255f86db69ce8cefc16b52a8a.jpg

2. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    jpachard

jpachard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    BB, I have a 6 speed in mine so it's slightly different but here's what I would do:

1. Bleed clutch slave. It's pretty easy, the fitting is a 10mm and you can have someone help. Just make sure you fill the resovoir regularly whilst bleeding as it shares the fluid with the brakes and there is a baffle for the clutch and the volume is small.

2. Change trans gear oil to Mobil1 75W-90. This improved the shifting noticeably, at least on mine.

After that, there really isn't much else so if you are still experiencing issues I'd take it in. All this being said, these trucks do like the transmission to be warmed up and shifted deliberately.

Cheers, James

3. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    BlueBomber

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco SR5 4x4
    Magnaflow 14"
    Right on! Thanks, man. I'll try that this weekend and see how we fare. :D

4. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM
    BlueBomber

Member: