1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fitting light bar behind grill

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krs1760, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mar 3, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    Krs1760

Krs1760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 taco silver baja bitch!
    2.5" fox coilovers w/remote resivour, tc uca's, 2.0" fox piggy backs, allpro exp leaf packs timbren bumps, pelfrybuilt front bumper with smittybuilt xr -20 winch with 20" bar behind grill. More lights to come with armor. 1999 pop up in the bed
    hello everyone thanks for reading and all input helps. first off I searched and couldn't find anything other than shaking lights. with that out of the way im looking to put a led light bar behind my grille craft grill. I want to know if any bar will fit size wise both length (not over 30") and depth and any special considerations that I need to be aware of. I would hate to buy a bar and it not fit. im going to buy a piece of iron to make a mount with no welding some how lol. basically im worried about the depth of the bar hitting the grill, am I ok to just by any bar or do I need specific dimensions? thanks!!!!

2. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    I used the B A M F set up for mine and I have a grill craft grill on my '13

3. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Used a BDF bar on mine... the design has now been taken up by JLee at B.A.M.F. and can fit a 20" Rigid.

Fits fine with a mesh grill but if you have a Satoshi you will have to cut into the radiator support like i did.

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2.5" fox coilovers w/remote resivour, tc uca's, 2.0" fox piggy backs, allpro exp leaf packs timbren bumps, pelfrybuilt front bumper with smittybuilt xr -20 winch with 20" bar behind grill. More lights to come with armor. 1999 pop up in the bed
    Thanks for the info guys! I'm a firm believer in you get what u pay for but I can't wrap my head around this light bar thing this bar http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=251465950983 when comparing to a rigid bar of nearly same specs is 400 bucks less! Am I missing something or u just paying for the name? Also to fit behind my grill does it have to be a low profile bar or would this one work for my application. Also is 20" the biggest u can go behind the grill with bamf mount? I would like to fit a minimum of 24".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  7. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Also, I just installed the bar and you won't be able to go to larger than 20" with the BAMF.

8. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Do you have any pics of how u mounted this to your hood aaronbuell? So basically 20" is all I'm gonna fit back there? Is there a huge difference in light output between a 20 and 24"? It dosent seem to difficult to fab a lightbar mount those bamf are legit but seems like a drill grinder and angle iron anyone can make something similar.

9. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BAMF is WAY solid. Fits perfect and comes coated. Uses two bolts on the radiator and it's done. Get the downbars and you can put that light wherever you want it. I'm already thinking of other lights that I can add to the BAMF/downbars.

Also, you could go with a double bar in 20" and that would be much brighter than the single 24".

10. Mar 4, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ok by double bar your saying 2 rows of lights or two bars? Well I'm sold then bamf it is lol. Most my night driving is in baja a few times a year so I was going to go with a spot flood combo double row. Any suggestions on a better set up?

11. Mar 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
  12. Mar 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Lol I got ya! If I had the money would consider it but I'm a blue collar baller. Thanks for the good info it will deff be a 20" double row then.

13. Mar 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    mizicko705

mizicko705 Im that one guy!!! Who did that one thing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD V6
    (2) 12" rocksford Fosgate P3SD412 1000 watts RMS Sony explode deck Tinted Windows Blacked out Emblems Black hood scoop, valince bar and sleeved fog lights. FlowMaster 40 series BHLM Head lights Led lit door locks
    you can fit a solid 32" in the lower valance area, it looks pretty dope!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    ruffridha9 likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What brand of fogs are those?

PvilleJohn likes this.
  15. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Wow that does look really f@&king good!!! Is it functional though? I feel the higher on the vehicle the better to light the depressions in the road. I would imagine that it would cast a shadow that low? Hey side note how hard is it to put nice pods in the fog light holes?

16. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    CMerk

CMerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tampa Fl
    Vehicle:
    XSP-X
    Maxtrac spindles, debugged, lots of plastidip, Iron Cross rear bumper, new head unit,
    subd

17. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    AMH3RST

AMH3RST eat, sleep, work

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    Camburg +3.5" LT; King Shocks 2.5x8"; King Shocks 2x2" Bump Stops; Maxtrac 4" spindles; Deaver J66 leafs; King Shocks 12x2"; BAMF Rear Shock Relocate; KMC Enduro 16x9; BFG KM3 315/75R16; BAMF BTG Light Bar; 2 20" Toughlight Pro Series LED Light Bars; Cab Cage
    I have a BAMF bar with a 20" Toughlight Pro Series. I plan on getting a second 20" and a red cover, plenty of room. And with my 50" Pro Series it would be a crazy amount of light.

18. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    Krs1760

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Hey also how does that 30" bar mount in the lower valance? Now I want one behind grill and lower valance! Just need to know how to mount it lol

19. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Only lower valence. Rigid makes cool brackets.

20. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    I also have my light bar in the lower grille. And it is definitely useful. Behind the grille is going to cut some of the light out. Where as in the lower grille you can focus it up down either way.

Products Discussed in

To Top