Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2014 - Not what I expected

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #23
lungs414 is on a distinguished road
lungs414's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 14. Bought an auto dim with home link mirror for 95$ on ebay. 5 minutes to install, it's pre wired in the overhead console. Absolute non-issue, for me anyways.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
weendoggy is on a distinguished road
weendoggy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '09 and now '14. Both were ACOR and the reason for change was I needed 4x4. So, with that in mind, there is a difference in what I had/got. My PreRunner had JBL, upper console with temp/compass and autodim mirror. New one had nothing (temp in radio) and flip mirror. Yeah, big backward step for Toyota. So, to get around that, I spent a whopping $300 and got the autodim/compass/temp/homelink mirror from Bob on the forum and installed it. For me, not a lot spent considering I got the truck at $1400 less. Sound system is bland so put in new speakers for $420 with door deadener and will look for a good sub/amp that won't take up all the room that was robbed from my '09 (part I hated about my PreRunner) although sound was good.

Bottom line, I believe I'll spend a tad bit more for the upgrades to get what I want but the truck will be with me for a long time. The only way to get the "mirror" is on the DCSP trucks from what I've found. So if you want less or different, you'll have to upgrade. I also don't like the Sport scoop and tires, thus stayed with the OffRoad version. Oh, I love the ride too!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
ppfd is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ppfd's Tacoma Gallery
Bring back a stick operated 4WD and we'd be talking.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #26
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfd View Post
right? i miss that about my 89!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #27
ssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shedssanders2211 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ssanders2211's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I have to agree. Toyota is making the Tacoma cheap and cheaper. Yeah the powertrain will last a long time but dont be too surprised when the TRD package comes standard with manual windows, door locks and mirrors. Just saying. Its funny that base model cars from other manufacture AND other, cheaper, models from Toyota come with more modern/standard options.
I wish manual mirrors, windows, and door locks were even an option on mine. I'm loving the automatic stuff right now but that's just more crap that's going to break and be a PITA to fix 250k miles from now.

As for all the uproar over a compass and thermometer, to me that speaks volumes on how good Tacomas are if people have to go that far down the checklist to find something worth whining about!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #28

Marines:
/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders2211 View Post
I wish manual mirrors, windows, and door locks were even an option on mine. I'm loving the automatic stuff right now but that's just more crap that's going to break and be a PITA to fix 250k miles from now.

As for all the uproar over a compass and thermometer, to me that speaks volumes on how good Tacomas are if people have to go that far down the checklist to find something worth whining about!
true. the devil is in the details. people gotta bitch, yanno? things could always stand a bit more refinement, but thats never been what the tacoma has been about. i was surprised when the limited package came out. its a truck, designed like a truck, used like a truck.. and without the need of silly details some other manufacturers rely on to sell their vehicles.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen the whole "refinement" issue. I've had a Chevy (3/4 ton) and a Dodge (1 ton) both loaded with every option, and you talk about needing refinement. The Tacoma is a Lexus compared to those.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #30
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint0241 View Post
Says the guy that feels everything is missing or just seems cheap...just go buy a Cadillac truck with all the bells and whistles! You'll be a happier man for sure...

Yeah right, good luck with Cadillac. Would never buy another one. My Cadillac Deville with barely over 100,000 miles on it has:

1) A dash that sounds like a thousand crickets live in it.

2) The blower motor squeals like crazy above level 1.

3) Has 1 broken window, and another one that is rubbing on something inside the door when you put it up/down.

4) Has an air pump out to recycle air for emissions. (luckily I don't need an emissions sticker so don't need to fix that)

5) The air pump for my air bag shocks went out also, had to convert them to regular shocks or would have paid 4 times as much. Now the ride isn't what it was.

6) A torque converter sensor is starting to go and causes the car to shift hard into gears sometimes.

As an added bonus anyone trying to sell me something who sees me drive up in the Caddy, automatically raises their price by 25%. That's my experience with Cadillac. I can say it hasn't left me sit yet, but the thing is barely over 100,000 miles with all those problems. Not to mention a head gasket problem with a cracked plastic piece covered by warranty in the first 20,000 miles.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #31
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbrdr1220 View Post
Yeah right, good luck with Cadillac. Would never buy another one. My Cadillac Deville with barely over 100,000 miles on it has:

1) A dash that sounds like a thousand crickets live in it.

2) The blower motor squeals like crazy above level 1.

3) Has 1 broken window, and another one that is rubbing on something inside the door when you put it up/down.

4) Has an air pump out to recycle air for emissions. (luckily I don't need an emissions sticker so don't need to fix that)

5) The air pump for my air bag shocks went out also, had to convert them to regular shocks or would have paid 4 times as much. Now the ride isn't what it was.

6) A torque converter sensor is starting to go and causes the car to shift hard into gears sometimes.

As an added bonus anyone trying to sell me something who sees me drive up in the Caddy, automatically raises their price by 25%. That's my experience with Cadillac. I can say it hasn't left me sit yet, but the thing is barely over 100,000 miles with all those problems. Not to mention a head gasket problem with a cracked plastic piece covered by warranty in the first 20,000 miles.
Sorry man... You bought a GM product. What did you expect?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #32
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, before the Tacoma I had only ever driven Chevy, Buick, Cadillac. That's what my entire family drove growing up, and what I was raised into. Got sick of every car falling apart around 80 - 100k miles. This is the reason why I switched to Toyota. Hopefully they don't disappoint, been pretty happy so far with my 13 TRD OR Only time will tell though.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #33

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbrdr1220 View Post
Yes, before the Tacoma I had only ever driven Chevy, Buick, Cadillac. That's what my entire family drove growing up, and what I was raised into. Got sick of every car falling apart around 80 - 100k miles. This is the reason why I switched to Toyota. Hopefully they don't disappoint, been pretty happy so far with my 13 TRD OR Only time will tell though.
This makes my 6th Toyota and "so far" I've had really good luck out of them. Anything mechanical will eventually break but... Toyota's seem to break less often. At least that's been my experience.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #34
RIKDRT1 is on a distinguished road
RIKDRT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodjohns View Post
Tacoma Limited still has those features. But the SR5 package does not. I didn't ask when buying if they were even options though.
do the TRD sport have homelink in 13 and 14 ?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #35

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKDRT1 View Post
do the TRD sport have homelink in 13 and 14 ?
i dont know about sport specifically. seems to be mixed reviews. some people claim to have them.. my dealer says it wasnt an available option for my baja build... so... your guess is as good as mine.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #36
Eggbert is on a distinguished road

Eggbert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TACO4X4 View Post
I own a 14, too and that homelink would have been sweet... I've had it in my last few cars and love it. As far as temp goes... I can still get that by hitting the weather app. Sure, it takes a half ounce of effort instead of looking at the mirror, but is it THAT big a deal?
Yeah but it takes several minutes for that to load from my Iphone and by that time, I'm over it.

I agree the cheapo mirror is a big minus on the '14. Thinking of going aftemarket with 360 degree parking sensors
Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #37
Suffield Miller is on a distinguished road
Name: Miller
Suffield Miller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfd View Post
Why did they feel the need to go switch operated 4WD!?

I miss my 2000 TRD for yet another reason...but still super stoked to take delivery of my '14 D.Cab 6speed SR5
Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #38
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
/

true. the devil is in the details. people gotta bitch, yanno? things could always stand a bit more refinement, but thats never been what the tacoma has been about. i was surprised when the limited package came out. its a truck, designed like a truck, used like a truck.. and without the need of silly details some other manufacturers rely on to sell their vehicles.
Ah, c'mon. They need to refine the truck. Locking tailgate, extending mirrors, more adjustable buckets, stronger motor, rear discs . . . .

But, as someone said above as long as it still sells great there is not a lot of incentive to add features that cut the profit margin. Heck, if they avoid putting in just one $100 feature at 180,000 units sold that's $18 million profit . . . . .
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #39
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
I am biased; because I own a 2008, TRD Off Road. But I'll comment.

I like the front end grill/look of my truck over the new models. The more aggressive look, suits me better.

The newer grill is growing on me, as I see more of them.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #40

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
I am biased; because I own a 2008, TRD Off Road. But I'll comment.

I like the front end grill/look of my truck over the new models. The more aggressive look, suits me better.

The newer grill is growing on me, as I see more of them.
the 2012+ front end took a little time to grow on me as well... i think it looks a little more high speed and aggressive than the 05-12 personally.