2014 - Not what I expected

Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #61
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
I feel that way about my 87 long bed minus the rust. It was stolen, if it wasn't I'd still have it.
my 89 rusted apart. nearly completely. the bed, the doors, the floor boards.. it was all gravy until the fuel tank finally rusted through and i was between jobs. 450k on that truck and never a problem (besides rust)
Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #62
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Buy one and let me know how much your repairs cost in 200,000 miles and then lets compare to a Taco.
I don't keep my vehicles longer than 5 years so that really isn't a problem for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #63
lickem66 is on a distinguished road
lickem66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TACO4X4 View Post
I own a 14, too and that homelink would have been sweet... I've had it in my last few cars and love it. As far as temp goes... I can still get that by hitting the weather app. Sure, it takes a half ounce of effort instead of looking at the mirror, but is it THAT big a deal?
Wow, no homelink would probably be a deal breaker. I have not had a garage door opener in my car since the early 00's for gods sake. Did we just jump into a 'way-back machine'.. nope it's just a '14 Taco..
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #64
willee51 is on a distinguished road

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Lessons learned...........

At 67-yo, I have had more Tacoma's than I care to admit to

The ONLY thing I did to any of them, maintenance wise, was change the oil

On my 2nd POS non-Toyota vehicle, and as soon as the Lemon Law suite on this last one is settled, I;m getting another TACOMA

Lesson Learned the hard way
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #65
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNutty View Post
They dropped alot between 12 and 14. My 12 prerunner dcsb sr5 package included alloys, homelink,compass,temp all on the mirror, and the backup cam.
Now sr5 has painted steel wheels, standard rv mirror and you cannot even get a backup cam w/o paying aftermarket. figured the radio screen would house it

So what's the deal with the backup cam only available on the Limited??? - this is cutting good safety features...is this really a dont-care for most tacoma owners?
I have a '14 and it came with a backup camera that displays on the touchscreen so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #66
OCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OCNutty's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at the '14 brochure; none of packages other than Limited show the backup camera. And the chart states that it requires a perferred package for any of the models to get the camera, so it's not standard.
Having it in the cam in radio display was expected.
So was the cam stated on your sticker as part of the package? Perhaps my eBrochure was an earlier version.
I'll stand corrected.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #67
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNutty View Post
I'm looking at the '14 brochure; none of packages other than Limited show the backup camera. And the chart states that it requires a perferred package for any of the models to get the camera, so it's not standard.
Having it in the cam in radio display was expected.
So was the cam stated on your sticker as part of the package? Perhaps my eBrochure was an earlier version.
I'll stand corrected.
the camera in the radio is entune plus and premium. if your truck comes standard with that, the backup camera is included.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #68
Druzuki will become famous soon enough

Druzuki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Unless the braking power is dynamically distributed which in most cases it isn't, the distribution of braking power is linear. you'd have the same limited braking power sent to the rear discs whether or not there is a load there so to prevent the rears from locking up or tripping the ABS all the time you'd have to limit the braking power to what it can handle without a load. I agree that maintenance is harder on drums but it's also needed less in my opinion.

I could see an argument for hauling crap in the bed but any trailer that weighs anything over a couple thousand pounds should have electronic brakes you can hook into a brake controller.

I guess I see your point but don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone seems to make it out to be since it works really well the way it is now.

I agree it's a circular argument. You're 100% right on the trailer brakes, I wish more people paid heed to that. It's nice the Tacomas (at least with the tow package) are prewired for trailer brakes. For the record though, the Tundra comes with both a trailer brake controller AND electronic brake force distribution, so Toyota has the parts in-house already. The MSRPs between the two trucks at comparable trim levels are a ways apart but with the frequent incentives offered on the Tundra, if you could wait for "red tag days" or the end of the model year, you could get a Tundra for the same price as a Taco. The Tacoma was the right size for me so I accepted the compromise, but it's too bad Toyota takes advantage of the weak competition against Tacoma to limit what they offer or include in the way of options. AGAIN, for you guys that want a BASIC truck, and keep your vehicles long term and big miles, with less gizmos to fail, I hope there's always that choice. I tend to go 3-5 years and modest miles so for middle $30's I'd like to see all the bells and whistles.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #69
ArnieSea is on a distinguished road

Name: Arnie
ArnieSea's Tacoma Gallery
Went from a 2001 to a 2014 and couldn't be happier!

My 2014 SR5 DBCB 4x4 is a significant upgrade from the 2001 2x2 SR5 I had before. By contrast it is quite an upgrade & I'm very happy.

I have to agree that I wish it had some of the technology of my 2010 model 4 Prius. The main thing I miss is the keyless start and the seat warmers. The home link rearview mirror would be nice but not as important to me as the keyless start. It is so nice to not ever have to take your keys out of your pocket!

My Toyota history: '95 Corrolla, 96 Camrey, '01 Taco, '07 Prius, '10 Prius, '14 Taco.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #70
rademan11 is on a distinguished road
rademan11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs414 View Post
I have the 14. Bought an auto dim with home link mirror for 95$ on ebay. 5 minutes to install, it's pre wired in the overhead console. Absolute non-issue, for me anyways.

What mirror did you buy on ebay?
Where did you find the wiring?
This could make my day....