1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front wheel bearing tips

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Greycoma09, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mar 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    Greycoma09

Greycoma09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    I replaced my front wheel bearings yesterday and thought I would share a couple of things that I used. I am not going to recreate a install thread as that already exists. So what I used was the HF 20 ton press and was wondering how I was going to press out the hub as the cross members on the press are not wide enough for the hub to fit through. What a came up with is a piece of 8" schedule 40 pipe, 10" deep. I used this in conjunction with the large bearing separator that Harbor Freight sells. If someone else has already posted this idea I apologize as I have not read all of the wheel bearing threads. The only problem i ran into was the outer race had to be heating with a plumbers torch then it pressed off just fine. The second thing I "stumbled" across was getting the seals onto the bearing carrier. As I dug around in my tool box I found a large plastic round oil filter wrench. Its the type that you put a 3/8" ratchet in the center. Well the inside diameter fit perfectly on the seals. Using a small ball pein hammer I was able to fit the seals to the bearing carrier perfectly with our any damage to the seals.
    Hope this helps someone, i will drop a couple of pics when I get a chance.
    In the press picture i ran the risk of breaking the ears off of the carrier, but since I had new carriers with bearings installed I didn't worry about it. Plus I did not really have any other way to hold the carrier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Richard

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top