1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oil catch can mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kenneth.morris07, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mar 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 [OP] كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I'm looking to get an oil catch can and install on my truck. Seems like there are a few different options in a wide range of options. Anyone who has one feel free to comment. Is a $22 can much different from a $220 can? Does a can with a "breather" perform better?

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    $22 can WILL leak, right out of the box. a $220 will not. do not get a vented can unless you have a turbo/supercharger, and a system that needs venting.

Edit: not saying you have to spend $220 on a can to not have it leak. there are cans out there for anout half that, that work fine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. Mar 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Don't get a cheap can. Like colinb17 said, it will leak. If it leaks enough, you will get a check engine light and a diagnostic code will pop up. There are some good ones for around $60-80.

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    Count Macula

Count Macula Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moses
    Orange County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    I just made one from my old shop compressors water/oil separator. I upgraded the shop a few years ago and had it laying around. I only have about 15 miles on it since I put it in yesterday, but I feel pretty confident it will work well.
    [​IMG]

I removed the filter and replaced it with a piece of PVC pipe with holes drilled on three sides (opposite of the return side) and filled it with a copper chore boy. The pipe has 3 notches cut in the bottom for the oil to drain out once it is collected and condensed on the copper filling.

[​IMG]

I figure the unit used to hold 175lbs of pressure without leaking, doubtful it will leak with the little pressure it is under now.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    Does it make a difference if it is baffled or not?

6. Mar 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    crawl

crawl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    ^^He shoved copper scrubbies inside the PVC pipe for the oil to collect on. No need for baffles if you do this. Of course you don't want ANY catch can to fill all the way up.. so it's a maintenance item and needs to be drained or checked regularly.

Count Macula.. awesome home made catch can! I bet it will function better than most on the market. And it doesn't even look like a catch can - looks like a factory emissions thingy dingy.

7. Mar 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    Installed a Saikou Michi can yesterday. Only place I had available was on the passenger side of the radiator.

image.jpg

8. Mar 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    Chapman

Chapman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 SW DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
  9. Mar 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Saving

10. Mar 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    That's the same catch can that I've been looking at. Let me know how you like it!

11. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    I bought one of these and really like it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Poli...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e1643307&vxp=mtr

This one is baffled, has a screw-on bowl (like an oil filter) doesn't leak, is beautifully made and has a knurled knob on the top with a dip stick for checking the level (rather than a sight tube).

One observation I have is that I now get less accumulation in the tank since I changed from the oil I use in winter (0-30) to what I use in summer (5-40).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    That's also the same one that I'm looking at.

13. Mar 17, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    Count Macula

Member:
    First Name:
    Moses
    Orange County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks! I was going to buy the can linked above but figured I'd give this a try first. I figure if it didn't work, I only have about $6 in parts invested. After 200 miles I am amazed at how much water I have in the bowl, there is a little oil as well but not a ton of it. I run 5W-30, and don't run the truck hard so, I don't know we will see after a few more thousand miles for my next oil change.

The truck feels like it idles and runs smoother since I put it in though, maybe its all in my head but so far I am pleased none-the-less.

14. Mar 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    crawl

crawl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4 sr5
    My 2010 2.7L Tacoma motor came from the factory with only a single breather hose from the VC to the intake tube.. so I stuck a little filter on it when I modded the intake.

[​IMG]

And here's my Moroso catch can setup on my Prelude - no PCV valve, no vacuum, breather side of VC teed in, open atmosphere. Look at those nasty looking tubes..YUCK!!!! They were clear originally. I collect very little in the can because most of the water vapor goes out the filter on top of the can, and the oil droplets stick to the huge clear tubing. The larger size tubing and no vacuum also contribute to the low amount I collect in the can. It breathes in and out when needed and keeps my crankcase happy under boost :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Like this mod, planning on during this on my truck. Amazon says they are sold out but it looks like EBAY has them. They all look universal, so I should be good to go with the catch can from EBAY. Thanks everybody for all the valuable input.

16. Apr 1, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    Count Macula

Member:
    First Name:
    Moses
    Orange County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Update on my can, this is what I collected after 500 miles. Lots of water, a little bit of oil. I only live 9 miles from work, I know thats why I got so much water. I am very glad this isn't being recirculated through the manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top