Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

oil catch can mod

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Kenneth
kenneth.morris07's Tacoma Gallery
oil catch can mod

I'm looking to get an oil catch can and install on my truck. Seems like there are a few different options in a wide range of options. Anyone who has one feel free to comment. Is a $22 can much different from a $220 can? Does a can with a "breather" perform better?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
I'm looking to get an oil catch can and install on my truck. Seems like there are a few different options in a wide range of options. Anyone who has one feel free to comment. Is a $22 can much different from a $220 can? Does a can with a "breather" perform better?
$22 can WILL leak, right out of the box. a $220 will not. do not get a vented can unless you have a turbo/supercharger, and a system that needs venting.

Edit: not saying you have to spend $220 on a can to not have it leak. there are cans out there for anout half that, that work fine.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
reece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreece13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reece13's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get a cheap can. Like colinb17 said, it will leak. If it leaks enough, you will get a check engine light and a diagnostic code will pop up. There are some good ones for around $60-80.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Count Macula is on a distinguished road
Name: Moses
Count Macula's Tacoma Gallery
I just made one from my old shop compressors water/oil separator. I upgraded the shop a few years ago and had it laying around. I only have about 15 miles on it since I put it in yesterday, but I feel pretty confident it will work well.

I removed the filter and replaced it with a piece of PVC pipe with holes drilled on three sides (opposite of the return side) and filled it with a copper chore boy. The pipe has 3 notches cut in the bottom for the oil to drain out once it is collected and condensed on the copper filling.

I figure the unit used to hold 175lbs of pressure without leaking, doubtful it will leak with the little pressure it is under now.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Does it make a difference if it is baffled or not?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
^^He shoved copper scrubbies inside the PVC pipe for the oil to collect on. No need for baffles if you do this. Of course you don't want ANY catch can to fill all the way up.. so it's a maintenance item and needs to be drained or checked regularly.

Count Macula.. awesome home made catch can! I bet it will function better than most on the market. And it doesn't even look like a catch can - looks like a factory emissions thingy dingy.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Installed a Saikou Michi can yesterday. Only place I had available was on the passenger side of the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
oil catch can mod-image.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Chapman is on a distinguished road
Chapman's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is a good read:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html

And this is the can I bought from Amazon. I haven't installed it, but the quality is better than I expected.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...catch-can.html

Hope that helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
Saving
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman View Post
This thread is a good read:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html

And this is the can I bought from Amazon. I haven't installed it, but the quality is better than I expected.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...catch-can.html

Hope that helps.
That's the same catch can that I've been looking at. Let me know how you like it!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Mark
1of7627's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one of these and really like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Polis...643307&vxp=mtr

This one is baffled, has a screw-on bowl (like an oil filter) doesn't leak, is beautifully made and has a knurled knob on the top with a dip stick for checking the level (rather than a sight tube).

One observation I have is that I now get less accumulation in the tank since I changed from the oil I use in winter (0-30) to what I use in summer (5-40).
Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of7627 View Post
I bought one of these and really like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Polis...643307&vxp=mtr

This one is baffled, has a screw-on bowl (like an oil filter) doesn't leak, is beautifully made and has a knurled knob on the top with a dip stick for checking the level (rather than a sight tube).

One observation I have is that I now get less accumulation in the tank since I changed from the oil I use in winter (0-30) to what I use in summer (5-40).
That's also the same one that I'm looking at.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl View Post
Count Macula.. awesome home made catch can! I bet it will function better than most on the market. And it doesn't even look like a catch can - looks like a factory emissions thingy dingy.
Thanks! I was going to buy the can linked above but figured I'd give this a try first. I figure if it didn't work, I only have about $6 in parts invested. After 200 miles I am amazed at how much water I have in the bowl, there is a little oil as well but not a ton of it. I run 5W-30, and don't run the truck hard so, I don't know we will see after a few more thousand miles for my next oil change.

The truck feels like it idles and runs smoother since I put it in though, maybe its all in my head but so far I am pleased none-the-less.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 2.7L Tacoma motor came from the factory with only a single breather hose from the VC to the intake tube.. so I stuck a little filter on it when I modded the intake.

And here's my Moroso catch can setup on my Prelude - no PCV valve, no vacuum, breather side of VC teed in, open atmosphere. Look at those nasty looking tubes..YUCK!!!! They were clear originally. I collect very little in the can because most of the water vapor goes out the filter on top of the can, and the oil droplets stick to the huge clear tubing. The larger size tubing and no vacuum also contribute to the low amount I collect in the can. It breathes in and out when needed and keeps my crankcase happy under boost

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Update on my can, this is what I collected after 500 miles. Lots of water, a little bit of oil. I only live 9 miles from work, I know thats why I got so much water. I am very glad this isn't being recirculated through the manifold.