1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm thinking of buying a new V6 DC PreRunner. Am I an idiot?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rtmerry, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    stumpman

stumpman Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Dclb cement
    If you can easily afford the 4x4, buy it you will be glad you did over 8 years, I promises you will find a use for 4wd in 8 years,

2. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    Metzbower

Metzbower Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4WD long bed
    If it helps with your decision, you can get a 4wd double cab Tacoma in NC for under $30k. I recommend using jimbarkleytoyota.com as they have fixed, out the door pricing.

3. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    +1.

Get the 4x4 if you can afford it now. Even if you don't need it now, you may very well 5 years from now. Avoiding ONE accident because you have 4wd is going to save you more money than the 4wd system cost. I also think you would get more than the difference back in resale when you are done with it. 2wd trucks in my area go for 70 cents on the dollar

4. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    If you can afford the 4wd get it now as other have suggested. When I purchased my truck I wanted a Prerunner with tow package but they are not stocked in mid Atlantic region as others have said in previous posts. So I ended up working out a deal on a 4wd and I am glad I did. I have used 4wd so much this winter and looking back I would of been mad if I would of went Prerunner.

That being said the Tacoma's are a nice truck are not issue free, many on here make you feel like these trucks are the best thing since sliced bread and they are in certain areas but not all. There are some very common issues with these trucks that lots of members have like the drivetrain shudder. On your test drive don't baby it and accelerate quickly from a stop to make sure the truck your going to purchase doesn't have it. It will just save you time and aggravation later on.

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Do this, it's just what I did and I love my truck.

049_zpsd1f7c971_ea837c68369f48df374589271a7b209d3b052712.jpg

6. Mar 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    4x4 is future proof! Who knows where you'll be in 8 years...or what you'll be into. 4 wheel drive may just open up new experiences that you never considered before in your 'car' past. I don't know a single person that said 'man, I wish I would have gotten the 2wd instead if this 4x4' but I've known several people that regret their 2wd purchase.

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    spencer44306

spencer44306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Upstate Ny
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport 4x4
    4runner_zpsa7c67783_a2fe1cdd1a6c5eb2ef5556be3b1acbf26cad8f1e.jpg

All the hottest chicks roll out in 4runners.....thats my advice to you

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    You've probably noticed there's lots of prejudice against Prerunners here. Don't be pushed into buying something you don't need or don't want. If you live in an area where you get a lot of snow, it's worth considering, but otherwise the 2wd Prerunners make a lit of sense. Buy the DC, put a set of nerf bars/side steps on it (makes it easier for a shorter person to get in and out of the truck)and enjoy it.

9. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just get a 4x4 hun, think of the gun rule...rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :)

Wish I would've taken this advise

10. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    That's what I said to my wife when I bought mine and sure enough during this winter we got a storm dump and that 4x4 saved my ass.

Glad I got it.

11. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    So much hate on the pre runners. If you absolutely don't need 4x4 don't get it. I've needed it once and still had fun. I love my pre runner and the best part is its mine no bank note. But seriously an sr5 super white double cab pre runner with some nice tires more leds than you will ever need a good stereo and a 6in lift and you'll be gravy. Best part is I know where there is one just sitting in a warm garage waiting to be driven.....

Ok a little carried away but a 4x2 pre runner would suit your needs fine.

12. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    - V6 DC PreRunner - should suit your needs well if you don't need a 4x4 with plenty of room for your pup. (I got the double cab for my 80 pound lab, and he loves the room of the back seat)
    - TRD Sport Package - I got this because I like the color matched panels & scoop
    - Entune Plus - I have the Entune & JBL stereo in my '13. Not the best setup, but I use the apps more than I thought I would. Especially integrated Pandora.
    - Towing package - Not bad to have, that way you can rent a u-haul trailer if you need a little more cargo room.
    - Security System - I think Toyota over-charges for these. You can get a nice Viper remote start system with alarm installed for the same price as the Toyota one.
    - Premium Carpet Mats - If you want these, have the dealer throw them in for free. And then order some WeatherTechs.

In this configuration I bet you could talk the dealer down to $27,500 or at least $28k for the truck out the door. Just be firm and hold your price while you talk to the sales person. They are going to go back and forth to their manager a few times, but this is just a game to make you think "what if my offer was to low... etc"

That's how I got my '13 DC Sport 4x4 with Entune/Navi/JBL which had a sticker price of ~$36k out the door of the dealer for $32k even.

13. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    P3Bubba

P3Bubba Well-Known Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm a big fan of 4x4s, but living in a warm weather spot means I really only use it on slick boat ramps or if I'm driving back to a hunting lease/kayak launch on trails. If your activities don't include stuff like that, or you live in FL/AZ/NV and never drive in anything worse than a torrential downpour, you probably don't "need it."

You can do 99% of what you need to out of a nice daily driver with 2WD, and if you aren't worried about ever trading it in (drive it till the wheels fall off, which, with a Taco could be a couple decades) you can do just fine with some sandbags and good light truck tires.

That being said, I have pulled a few 2WD f150s and 1500s off Fernandina Beach with my old 3.4L taco. Be smart about where you go and 2WD isn't really that big a deal.

Do the new prerunners have a locker as an option, or is that only the 4x4 OR?

14. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    c_walters

c_walters Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mooresville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 6MT MGM
    We just picked up our 2014 V6 DCSB Prerunner SR5 w/tow package a few weeks ago, We love it. We do not need 4x4 just something that could haul our three dogs around, pull our RZR S, and pick up engines from the machine shop. We had a appointment to just go take a look at what we could get into and out of our 2014 Jeep grand cherokee, It was the last day of the month and they didn't let us leave until we were totally satisfied with a deal. Ended up paying right at $25k and change OTD off of a $29k and change sticker price also ending up with the color the wife wanted from the beginning.

Long story short, get what you want/need. Shop around for a dealer thats willing to negotiate.

15. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Yes, you can get the TRD off-road package on a pre runner and that gives you the locker.

OP, Personally i'd go with a 4x4 Double Cab TRD sport.
    And add weather tech floor liners instead of what the dealer upgrade is.

Even if you never use 4x4 it helps the resale value, and if you're ever in a situation where you need the 4x4 you have it.

At most dealers you can get a lot off of the sticker price (I believe one member got 6k off the sticker)
    Just walk in, get the lowest price, go to the next dealer, tell them to beat the price of the previous dealer, get that price on paper and take it back to the first dealer and tell them to beat that price, ECT.....
    Chances are you'll get a price you're very happy with.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  16. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    11 Tacoma

11 Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 2wd
    Buy a certified one with low miles. Should be able to get one for around $26,000. 4x2 V6 DC with 100,000 coverage

17. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    pickle

pickle UAW made TEAMSTER driven

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    tacoma, wa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd or 4x4 access cab
    5100's, rear leaf tsb, snugtop shell, wet okole's, weather-techs
    get trd sport or the trd off-road model... off-road has ALL options, sport has MOST options. be aware the SR5 model has way less options, with wimpy seats and no off-road suspension I believe. I think 4x4 and tow package is a must have, no matter where you live... someday you will want to road-trip outside your domain... 4x4 can literally be a life saver in rain, snow, mud and ICE.. and besides, 4-wheeling is a blast once you learn how.... and re-sale is always better. two wheelers absolutely make no sense to me, other than slightly better fuel economy. I have 2010 trd off-road 4x4 access cab and love it. driven in the deserts of Nevada, Arizona and never got stuck while going to majestic mountain vistas in the middle of no-mans land, down into desert canyons and through all kinds of dirt and sandbars. glad I had tow package in 2011 when I moved to Washington state. rented two axle trailer from U-Haul and stuffed it and camper shell full, the taco pulled it like it wasn't even there. I have the v-6 automatic and I got 14-18mpg's....remarkable!! my truck is still stock like the day I bought it new in las vegas. when it snows or ices over once or twice a year, lock in 4x4 and drive like it's stolen...nothing like a 4x4 , you can go anywhere in America once you master off-roading basic techniques(very simple, anyone is capable) and by the way, I average 20-22 mpg's on highway if I keep it below 65 mph', and I still have stock bfg rugged trail tires(now at 40,000 miles) on the truck... triple wow!! get the best, trd sport or off-road, with v-6 engine and 5-speed automatic, double or access cab, tow package and 4X4.. no regrets later

18. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    pickle

pickle UAW made TEAMSTER driven

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    tacoma, wa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd or 4x4 access cab
    5100's, rear leaf tsb, snugtop shell, wet okole's, weather-techs
    forgot, if you buy brand new, find out what the invoice is(what dealer paid manufacturer) and deal up from there. do an internet price search in your area of three or four dealers and make them all compete for your business. when you get best price on model, color, options etc.; be sure to get commit on total cost "out the door" which includes vehicle price, taxes, title, registration and destination fees. and double check all dealers "out the door" prices as some dealers forget to add up all these charges. if you have a credit score of 720 or better you should get very low interest rates. buy from dealer with lowest price package. any future services or warranty repair can be done at any dealership in America and will NOT void warranty. I have taken my taco to 3 different dealers for service and re-calls in the last 3.5 years. two were awesome, and one was so-so. personally I think Toyota has the best dealerships out there, but I still prefer to do my own service and repairs

19. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    I don't have a good answer. It looks sportier? I haven't gotten a thorough explanation of the different packages available. Until recently, I didn't even realize ordering custom was an option.

20. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    Do you have a strategy to obtain these invoices? I've also learned that the invoices aren't truly "invoices" but that the price already includes profit for the dealership? I've been calling the internet depts of dealerships today but have been repeatedly told either 1) the salesperson doesn't have access to invoices and so can't send me by email 2) that they will send me invoice but instead send me a pre-sell sheet with MSRP only. I feel like people are lying outrageously but I haven't called them on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top