1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm thinking of buying a new V6 DC PreRunner. Am I an idiot?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rtmerry, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    I've been doing my best to research this but haven't gotten far. First off, I'm a 5 foot 3 inch tall lady with no friends who own pickups (the Prius/vegan type, though I don't judge. :p) so I don't have anyone to ask. Salesmen at dealerships haven't done a great job of explaining options to me - I'd normally turn to my dad for these things but he's going through surgery. So based on this:

-I won't be hauling anything bigger than a 70 pound lab, the Xmas tree, and bags of mulch.
    -I won't be off-roading. Around here, never any snow, rarely any ice during winter.
    -I do plan on owning whatever pick up I choose for at least 8 years.
    -I do need a double cab. Ideally with the TRD sport package?

I've never owned a pick up but I like the feel and reliability of the Taco. My question is: am I crazy to spend $30k on a V6 DC PreRunner? Should I go for the 4x4, and why? I value your opinions because this seems to be a darn knowledgeable crowd here. I had no idea the mods that could be done to a Taco!

Edit: New question - would I be saving money by having it built to include the options I want and only those (no fancy radio upgrade or security system?). Do you gents have a suggestion as to how much I should offer for the config I posted below? And lastly, THANK YOU for your replies. I feel much better already. Just wish my dad could be giving me a hand with this himself. :/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    It's all about what you are going to use the truck for. If it just a grocery getter that needs to have the utility of a bed every once in a while the Tacoma is a great truck. It doesn't have gobs of power or room, but it is reliable for sure. If you don't have weather that warrants 4x4 don't get it, but be cautious of the road conditions during the times when they do go bad.

3. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I guess it would completely depend on what you need and what's important to you. If the truck is just going to be an over-glorified car, I'd check out the 4 banger access cab as opposed to the V6 double cab (or even the 5 lug access cab). You get a little more bed space, better fuel economy and still plenty of room in the cab for your furry friend. If you're set on the double cab though, I would definitely get the V6. If you don't need and don't intend to use 4wd, in my opinion, there's no sense in spending the extra money for it. There are plenty of Prerunners out there that get along just fine.

4. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Crazy to buy a Tacoma? No. Crazy to spend $30k on a Pre-Runner? Maybe.

I don't have any regrets about my Tacoma (first one), and it sounds like you are pretty sure of what you're going to use the truck for and none of it sounds like you need a 4x4. As far as keeping the truck for at least 8 years, I doubt you'll have any trouble doing that with a Taco.

That's my first-time-Tacoma-owner's two cents...

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    It really depends on your uses. If you don't think your uses will change, I personally think the DC prerunner is a great compromise. 4x4 isn't necessary unless you think you might want to get into offroading or move to a location where there is snow.

If having the double cab isn't a priority, you might be more interested in a "5 lug" tacoma. Those are the base models that are cheaper, but still offer everything you said you wanted it to do.

Personally, 30K for a new Tacoma isn't what I would recommend simply because of price. Tacomas are fantastic used and there is a great market of them. There are plenty of guys who disagree and buy new all the time. Good luck with your purchase. No matter what Tacoma you choose, you can't go wrong...

6. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    Phew! I was worried I'd be foolish in going with the PreRunner. It already feels like a lot of truck to me. What do you suppose when it comes to selling it 8 years down the line - would the value of the PreRunner decline significantly more than the 4x4?

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    One more good point is that if you pay the average price (a fair price) for a Tacoma, in a short time, you can get out of it because they hold value very well.

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    And what might you gents think of the configuration I'm looking at, based on my uses? I tried looking for a more sparse truck but the ones they've got on the lot are pretty much the same.

V6 DC Taco PreRunner
    TRD Sport package
    Entune Plus (which I think is a waste of money?)
    Towing package (which I won't need)
    Premium Security System (another waste of money?)
    Premium carpet mats (another waste? $120 for mats!?)

I don't know what to do. Would I be spending more money by getting it built so that it doesn't include the extras I won't use? Should I offer the dealer invoice plus 1%?

9. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    tacofox

tacofox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    MO
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    of course it will be less then a 4x4 maybe a couple thousand but as long as you take care of it and keep it clean then you'll be fine they hold there value very well I mean my 2008 pre runner with 160000 sold for 14000 what I thought was pretty good hope this helps!

10. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    What do you think is a fair offer for the configuration I posted? I've checked Edmund's, KBB - their fair price offer is still a bit high compared to the deals I've seen other people get on the forum. I also feel like I'm being taken for a sucker - which I am. :(

11. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    Whoa. That's impressive. Had no idea they held their value that well. My SUV is nowhere near that and I've had it for fewer years.

12. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    To put it into perspective, I bought my 2005 with 148,000 miles on it for about $11,000.

They hold their value REALLY well if they are properly maintained. It is a great way to spend your money.

13. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    As for investments, vehicles are the worst. But for the best vehicle investment your in the right place. I suggest getting a used 1st or 2nd gen. Unless you want a "New" vehicle? I bought my 2001 DCSB w/ 163,000 miles for $6.5K and can easily get that back now or a couple years from now. 4x4's cost more new but also yield more of a return on investment. My truck in a 4x4 version would have cost $10k+

If you want a newer modern technology truck then get a used 2012 or 2013 w/15k miles on it and pay in the low to mid $20k's instead of paying $30k+

14. Mar 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    Willie B

Willie B Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lilburn, GA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport Access 4x2
    If you have the time you can get a dealer to order a truck just as you want. Without all the stuff they load up on them. That's what I did and I am happy the way it went. Took about almost 7 weeks for it to arrive. No sense in paying for stuff you do not want.

15. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I think it really depends on the region you live in. I live in New England so a Prerunner would be a tough sell since we get so much snow up here. If you live say in AZ, there are a lot more Prerunners running around so resale will be easier since it will depreciate at a similar rate as a 4x4.

16. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    7 weeks is not too bad. I could wait. Was this recent? And what did you end up paying for it? I feel like I won't have much bargaining power if they have to order it for me... I don't know much about the process.

17. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Can't say about a prerunner for sure, but a 4x4 with the equipment you state is going at a D.C. area internet dealer 500 less than Invoice. Prerunner DC w/ tow etc aren't normally stocked in mid-Atlantic so i had to order my '12, I didn't want the cost/gas/maintenance for the 4x4. I still cannot find one to compare costs so that's why i say 'invoice'
    IMHO the Sport package is overdone, as the SR5 gave me what I needed. The Tow gives you the hitch/wiring (which you say you won't use) but also gives the larger alternator, battery, second tranny cooler and engine oil cooler all of which I like.
    Negotiate hard; I agree the premium security is not that useful. Shoot for 1000 less than invoice plus TTL, and see what they say. You've always got more leverage with something on the lot.

18. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Have you looked into the USAA or Costco Vehicle Discount program? I push it a lot, but you can save some $. I saved several thousand on my rig. I already had a Costco membership so it was a no-brainer. But if it saves you a few grand it's probably worth the $60 or so membership fee, plus you can stock up on TP! :D

Good luck

19. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    Depending on where you live, I would go 4x4 just for piece of mind and resale value.

What do you like about the TRD sport over the others? You could save some money by getting an SR5, and skipping the TRD treatment, especially if you go with a pre-runner.

Again depending on where you live, an SR5 4x4 may run close to the TRD sport pre-runner in pricing.

20. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    rtmerry

rtmerry [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Sport
    Just to be sure, I should shoot for $1k less than invoice, not MSRP? The sport package seems pretty OK and might make it easier to sell where I live down the line. I live in the 'burbs but close enough to farm land where it could get some use.

Products Discussed in

To Top