Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mask the taco tick

Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
12Trd is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
12Trd's Tacoma Gallery
Mask the taco tick

I have a TRD exhaust and it sounds great but when I'm next to other cars or walls I hear the engine ticking which from what I gather is the nature of the beast.
My question is there any way to mask it? Would a CAI noise override the tick noise? Who makes the loudest CAI?
Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
hmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shedhmcclung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
hmcclung's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think anything will mask it. A CAI surely will not produce enough noise to drown it out. But if someone has a solution I'm all ears.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Not a fix but it definitely helps:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-one-fix.html
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
What has been ruled the culprit? The injectors? My 2000 used to tick like crazy but my 2009 is dead silent running.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
It's an emissions valve type doohickey. I've done the rubber washer/spacer mod, it kinda sorta helps. But if my stereo is off, I can hear it going up hills, despite tire and aftermarket bumper wind noise.

Nature of the beast
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT View Post
What has been ruled the culprit? The injectors? My 2000 used to tick like crazy but my 2009 is dead silent running.
I don't think it is the injectors. I have a supercharger and it comes with different injectors and the tick did not go away after the install.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery
Why mask it? The tick is how you know it is happy!