sideways19 is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: RCMP
sideways19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTaco914 View Post
Like this

Yep diagonal is the way to go!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
You guys that keep saying diagonal, your mx bikes are tiny. A Kawi 1500 is a BIG bike, long and heavy and there's no way it's fitting in the bed.
OP, I just don't see any realistic way to do it, at least not the spyder and the sidecar rig.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Tector is on a distinguished road
Tector's Tacoma Gallery
Old Racer: I appreciate your comments, based (as they are) on experience. Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that getting that big Kawasaki in the bed of my Tacoma is not in the cards.

From the U-Haul web site, it seems that the longest open (not enclosed) trailer that they rent is 12 feet. I don't think I could get the Can-Am and the Kawasaki on it, but if I can, it will be because of something like what trdtoy suggested (Can-Am on first, furniture mover under the rear wheel, ratchet the rear wheel over toward one side, bring the Kawasaki on at an angle, and with the front end of the Kawasaki next to the rear end of the Can-Am).

And I think the only way to get the Can-Am and the sidecar rig on the same trailer will be to get a 16-foot trailer, like (for instance) the Aluma 6316 (two-axle utility trailer). That's not something that I'll be able to rent, though-- at least I haven't been able to find a source to rent such a trailer. And as I mentioned before, I'm reluctant to spend the buck$ to buy such a trailer, because I don't know how much use I'd get from it, and when the trailer wasn't being used, I'd have to pay to store it somewhere (I don't have the property to do that).

Isn't it just like a woman (my wife) to make problems like this for me?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, just a reminder,
The original poster started this discussion, we get that.
However, members are free to comment on any discussion unless they are banned for some reason.
Sometimes members may contribure information or bring up sub-topics that may or may not be related. This can be called hijacking the discussion but not always.
Members are also free to discuss the sub-topics or hijacked content.

Remember, sometimes know-it-all members chastise new members for asking questions and condescendingly refer them to the search function. The search function is often used to look up topics. A topic title as general as "How to haul motorcycles" could be found by a dirtbike rider just as easily as a cruiser bike rider, so the dirtbike advice would be useful information to some members.

Not a personal attack, just a reminder.

All bikes are awesome.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #25
trdtoy is on a distinguished road
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I know this is exactly opposite of what you mentioned and there's a reason for it. #1 reason is, backing a 1500cc cruiser onto a trailer would be a PITA at best and a disaster at worst. The Spyder has reverse and would make it more ideal for backing onto a trailer. The Nomad will also be more difficult to secure so it's typically easier to secure the bike with the front tire against the front rail of the trailer so it remains standing. As far as trailer length, the track width for the Spyder is about 5' at the front so if you have a 6' wide trailer, you should be able to overlap the rear of the Spyder and the Nomad. Maybe 10' would be tight but I would think it could happen, definitely with a 12', no problem.
To address your comment about weight distribution, the Nomad weighs in around 800 lbs while the Spyders weigh in around 700 lbs depending on the model. That's close enough to where it won't matter which one is further to the front as most of your weight will be forward regardless.
I do not recommend backing it on as this would be a disaster as you mentioned. Pull on foward and back off with 1 or 2 people much safer and easier. Securing the bike here will be doable and easy with proper equipment. Definitely need a 12' to haul side car as well. Pics of bike with sidecar from the op would be helpful as well as if detaching is easy or not. Regarding weight distribution and bike weight. Bikes weigh roughly same however spyders weight is more toward front and nomad more even split thus me suggesting spyder pulled on to front then nomad pulled on as well as far foward as possible to ensure tongue weight.nomad may or may not be able to be pulledto front rail of trailer depending on track width of spyder and trailer being used. If unable to pull nomad to front rail it would be 2-3' back from front thus needing longerthan 10' trailer to be safe. Also having it this far back will still keep weight over or in fron of axle on 12' trailer vs 10'. I have hauled a lot and know a bit about safety and weight distribution ect and this seems like a no brainer for me. The key is having proper equipment to to it safely, legally, and correctly..... Check with dot in states of planned travel for laws regarding securing loads trailers ect.....
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #26
trdtoy is on a distinguished road
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
From the U-Haul web site, it seems that the longest open (not enclosed) trailer that they rent is 12 feet. I don't think I could get the Can-Am and the Kawasaki on it, but if I can, it will be because of something like what trdtoy suggested (Can-Am on first, furniture mover under the rear wheel, ratchet the rear wheel over toward one side, bring the Kawasaki on at an angle, and with the front end of the Kawasaki next to the rear end of the Can-Am).

And I think the only way to get the Can-Am and the sidecar rig on the same trailer will be to get a 16-foot trailer, like (for instance) the Aluma 6316 (two-axle utility trailer). That's not something that I'll be able to rent, though-- at least I haven't been able to find a source to rent such a trailer. And as I mentioned before, I'm reluctant to spend the buck$ to buy such a trailer, because I don't know how much use I'd get from it, and when the trailer wasn't being used, I'd have to pay to store it somewhere (I don't have the property to do that).

Set the rigs up as I suggested in drivway and measure space they take up. With my method you may be able to get sidecar on trailer as well. If not then if sidecar can be removed it can easily be hauled and secured in bed of taco. Pics or description of sidecar or measurements would help.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #27
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Guys, just a reminder,
The original poster started this discussion, we get that.
However, members are free to comment on any discussion unless they are banned for some reason.
Sometimes members may contribure information or bring up sub-topics that may or may not be related. This can be called hijacking the discussion but not always.
Members are also free to discuss the sub-topics or hijacked content.

Remember, sometimes know-it-all members chastise new members for asking questions and condescendingly refer them to the search function. The search function is often used to look up topics. A topic title as general as "How to haul motorcycles" could be found by a dirtbike rider just as easily as a cruiser bike rider, so the dirtbike advice would be useful information to some members.

Not a personal attack, just a reminder.

All bikes are awesome.
You sure your in the right thread?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
You sure your in the right thread?
Are you attempting to use wit?