1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switching from softtopper to Lockable Tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by prerunner11, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:13 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    More and more I'm needing more secure/lockable bed storage. I've really liked my softtopper the past 2 years, but secure it ain't.

Anyone made the switch to a lockable tonneau cover from a softotpper/best top? Is there a solution to have secured storage within the softtopper?

A secure "leer-style" cap would be nice, but I still like being able to take my softtopper off by myself. I'm assuming you can take a tonneau cover off by yourself too pretty quickly?

Any recommendations?

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    I bought my Tacoma with a locking hard tonneau and switched to a Leer cap. I wanted the extra space that the cap affords and to be able to camp out back there. It also made more sense for carrying canoes and kayaks to have the rear of the truck the same level as the roof of the cab.

As far as installation and removal goes, they are bothe heavy! The hard tonneau is almost the same weight as the Leer cap, or at least it seems that way when I change them up. I have been able to change up both by myself using step ladders, boards, and a utility trailer with lots of patience and some effort.

I would just get the cap and forget about the tonneau if it were me since the cap is more versatile.

EDIT: see here for my DIY approach
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/269921-removing-bed-cap-without-hoist.html

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top