1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio/headlight interference help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kenneth.morris07, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 [OP] كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I just installed new headlights and I've noticed that when I turn them on I get a lot of static interference on my radio. Turn the headlights off and the signal clears up instantly. Any ideas on what to do?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    What kind of headlights?

3. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    Spyder HID halo projectors with leds

4. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    Silence9

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a semi-common issue with LED's. The high frequency load it puts on the electrical system can interfere with radio frequencies.

5. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Ok. so what can be done to fix it?

6. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I have the spyder halo led headlights with NO hids and don't have any interference. It may be your HIDs

7. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    Silence9

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Stream audio from your phone, maybe satelite radio won't have an issue depending on the frequency? There's always CD's. :p
    Is it all stations that have issues or certain ones?

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    I've heard of this before. I would check your grounds for your headlights. They need to be properly secured to your frame. Sand the frame around your grounding points and secure with a large metal flat washer. You might have to use a flat washer on both sides of your frame to get a proper ground. Before spray painting your connections, check your radio to see if it has improved. If it hasn't, relocate your grounding points to another location on your frame. Once you have everything secured, paint with krylon to prevent rust and try again.

-J

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I just checked. Every station. It's my HIDs that causing the interference. When its just parking lights or my high beams, the signal is fine.

JustAddMud- Where do the headlights ground from? The new ones for the most part just plugged into the connectors.

Would moving the ballasts make a difference?(I don't want to move them because it's a PITA to drill holes in there)

10. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    Yota Nation

Yota Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Minden LA
    Vehicle:
    2006 trd off-road
    @project_stealth 2006 toyota tacoma 4x4 with diff lock Anytime fog light mod K&N drop in filter 3inch tuff country lift add a leaf pack rough country shox xd hosses 33 inch nitto trail grapplers black tail lights black grille black roof Black lower valence on front bumper Black headlights with oracle color shifts and rgb projectors by @hazardouslighting Color shift halos in foglights by @oraclelights jvc 7inch touch screen double din radio 1 12 inch sundown audio sa 12 Custom box 2.1 cu ft. Tuned to 33hz and a 4inch port T1250bd 1400rms rockford fosgate amp Component set with 6.5 inch autotek mids and tweets quantum audio 150x2 highs amp 4 boss 6x9s Power acoustik pre amp Monster cable and full 0 gauge install @all4offroad rock lights cherry bomb exhaust 1 to 2 with 3 1/2 inch tips allpro offroad steel rear bumper Dipped dash 2 led pods 50 inch light bar Custom roof mounts Future mods: Roof rack with pods all the way around
    same shit happened to me when I had mine... when I got my colorshift retrofit with oracle rings it went back to normal.. I wouldn't say that was the cheapest way to fix it!!

11. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    Yota Nation

Yota Nation Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Minden LA
    Vehicle:
    2006 trd off-road
    @project_stealth 2006 toyota tacoma 4x4 with diff lock Anytime fog light mod K&N drop in filter 3inch tuff country lift add a leaf pack rough country shox xd hosses 33 inch nitto trail grapplers black tail lights black grille black roof Black lower valence on front bumper Black headlights with oracle color shifts and rgb projectors by @hazardouslighting Color shift halos in foglights by @oraclelights jvc 7inch touch screen double din radio 1 12 inch sundown audio sa 12 Custom box 2.1 cu ft. Tuned to 33hz and a 4inch port T1250bd 1400rms rockford fosgate amp Component set with 6.5 inch autotek mids and tweets quantum audio 150x2 highs amp 4 boss 6x9s Power acoustik pre amp Monster cable and full 0 gauge install @all4offroad rock lights cherry bomb exhaust 1 to 2 with 3 1/2 inch tips allpro offroad steel rear bumper Dipped dash 2 led pods 50 inch light bar Custom roof mounts Future mods: Roof rack with pods all the way around
    I think buying new hids would fit it.. I could be wrong

12. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    JustAddMud

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    I'll see if I can't find the post about grounds when I get home. Searching on my phone is too slow. IIRC there should be a black wire somewhere in your circuit which would be the grounds coming off of your ballast. Disclaimer: Don't go cutting wires just yet. Let me see if I can't find that post first. You might have to relocate your ballast as well.

-J

13. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    if it is a poor ground Try to keep your ground wire(s) less than 18" long and of the same guage or larger than the power. Use a star washer for your ground not a flat washer, a star washer actually digs into the metal of the body and of the ring terminal you are grounding.

14. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Switching power supplies are noisy if all else fails go to Radio Shack and buy snap on toroid chokes loop as many turns of the wire that goes to the power supply as you can in the toroid.

15. Mar 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    JustAddMud

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Ok so now that I'm home and not using my thumbs on a small phone, I did some research. Initially I thought you did a retrofit with a kit for true HID lighting. Now to get started, I'm under the impression that you have installed the PRO-YD-TT05 Sypder headlights in your 08 Prerunner? If this is the case I can see what you mean by a plug and play setup. I looked at sypder's included installation guide on their website for the 05-11 taco and it seemed fairly straight forward to me. Now what isn't clear is how the LED surrounds are connected. Were they just loose wires that required you to find your *TURN* signal wire feeds and your *PARK* light wire feed from your existing wire harness on the Tacoma side of the connections? I watched their Youtube video regarding this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzWl6-Fac0&list=PLtRI8AIsQYHSi5_J09llNi3xxQ_O3JGZ1

After watching the video, it looks like to me that they have you find your sources using a volt meter. How did you connect up these wires? Are you 100% positive you selected the correct wire leads for the appropriate application? I would double check your LED hookups a second time. Once you have verified the connections, I highly suggest soldering the connections together. If you do solder, make sure your using appropriate electrical grade solder. I like to use solder that has the Flux embedded into the solder as this saves me a step. Environmental splices work too, to an extent. Heat shrink the connections to protect against the elements and make sure the wires aren't in anyway touching the opposite wire as a short or arcing might happen.

Bottom line, I believe it has something to do with your LED wiring. If you take the LED's out of the picture (Read: disconnect them) and your radio problem fixes itself then you have narrowed down the problem. Hopefully this helped a little or at least gave you a starting point.

-J

16. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    kenneth.morris07

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I thank you for your time and effort, but I know that the LEDs aren't the problem. It is the HIDs. The LEDs are on during every light setting. The only time i get interference is when I have my low beams(HIDs) engaged.

17. Mar 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    JustAddMud

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Have you tried unplugging just one headlight and trying to see if you can't narrow down the issue? If the sound gets better maybe you can narrow down the trouble headlight. I'm unfamiliar with their ballast setup. Have you tried to contact Spyder regarding this issue?

-J

Products Discussed in

To Top