Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painted rear bumper, yay or nay

Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Banned
The Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to all
The Stig's Tacoma Gallery
Painted rear bumper, yay or nay

So my chrome rear bumper has a few little rust spots popping through and I'm at an impasse. Do I get another chrome bumper or get a painted to match bumper like a TRD sport would come with?

Truck for reference, door handles, mirrors, and grill are color matched.

Or do I go all out and get an off road bumper? I feel like that would look off without one on the front.

Help me decide internet!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the same issue with my bumper. The way I see it, if you get another chrome one, chances are it will have the same issue in a year maybe even less. Paint it IMO.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Banned
The Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
I'm having the same issue with my bumper. The way I see it, if you get another chrome one, chances are it will have the same issue in a year maybe even less. Paint it IMO.

I'm sure it would happen again but not THAT soon
Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
I plastidipped mine black and have been very happy with it. I also have a silver truck but my accents are black not silver.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Color matched. But I'm biased, I have a Sport.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
dump the chrome, last part left that's not matched anyway.

BTW, I have an SR5 that I've de-chromed to, devout anti-chromite!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
I hate chrome and I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have any rust spots but the bumper is the last chrome thing I have on my truck.

That said, I can't decide if I want to have it sprayed white to match the rest of my truck or get a off road bumper. Decisions... Decisions....
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
dump the chrome, last part left that's not matched anyway.

BTW, I have an SR5 that I've de-chromed to, devout anti-chromite!
I hated the chrome grill, yuck!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I hated the chrome grill, yuck!
X2 especially on a silver truck
Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
cholland is on a distinguished road
cholland's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti dip it and see if you like it. Only a few bucks and you can peel it off if you don't like it.
It would also give you an idea of how an off road or plate bumper might look. Most of them are black.
IMO, if you don't get to crazy with a rear plate bumper, I don't think it would look off.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
I'd definitely do color match over chrome. Chrome is I was going to try and throw bed liner or plasti dip on mine.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Dip it!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
Pockets is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Pockets's Tacoma Gallery
Color matched all the way. I got rear ended recently and took the opportunity to color match mine.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's rust coming through and not just rust speckles/rail dust? I have plenty of little speckles on my bumper but a quick claying will pull it.

I'm in the (very small) minority here but I like the contrast of the chrome on the rear bumper. I jettisoned my chrome grille for the Sport grille though.

If you're not planning on picking up a used model, would a high clearance unit be an option?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
zboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedzboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
zboy's Tacoma Gallery
Got dip ?Painted rear bumper, yay or nay-img0062.jpg
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #17
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Plate bumper or chrome.

Color matched bumpers are for Prius.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
Are you sure it's rust coming through and not just rust speckles/rail dust? I have plenty of little speckles on my bumper but a quick claying will pull it.
It definitely looks like it's coming through. There's rust on the inside of the bumper. Pretty sure the truck was hit once in the back before I owned it, so I'm guessing this one is a junk ass generic aftermarket one.

Quote:
If you're not planning on picking up a used model, would a high clearance unit be an option?
High clearance as in the ones where you cut off parts of your bed sides? Because I'm definitely not doing that.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
It definitely looks like it's coming through. There's rust on the inside of the bumper. Pretty sure the truck was hit once in the back before I owned it, so I'm guessing this one is a junk ass generic aftermarket one.

High clearance as in the ones where you cut off parts of your bed sides? Because I'm definitely not doing that.
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, I didn't necessarily mean the ones that you have to cut your bed to do, just the plate style.

I'd just worry that if you're ever using your rear bumper as a step, etc to load, you'd scratch up the bodycolored pieces.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
Plate bumper or chrome.

Color matched bumpers are for Prius.
Disagree... I hate chrome. I agree with the plate bumper and that is probably the direction I will go but I also like the color matched bumper and mirrors of the sport. You can keep the scoop though