1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got an alignment...what does this mean?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stcktnkid, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    stcktnkid

stcktnkid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    2014 tacoma...got front Bilstein 5100 set at 1.75 in the front, and 265/75/16 Duratracs...had Sears do an alignment for $85. Here is the print out.

photo-1_46e6d90dcfeb2d356ee235a69658965d6a6c33a1.jpg

Can someone tell me what this means or sum it up? was my alignment off? Did it need to be done? Was it worth it?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Well, Sears should have gone over it with you. Actually I thought Sears had closed all their tire centers. Odd.

Anyway, you can see the printout is color-coded. Sure, probably a key to the colors would be useful - I see that is missing.

GREEN = Good (within specs for that model)

RED = Bad (out of specs for that model)

So, you can see some things were out of spec when you brought it in (RED) and that everything is GREEN afterwards, except for the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) which is really close to being in-spec. Probably nothing to worry about.

About sums it up.

3. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Everything was in spec except for the toe on the Front wheels.

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    From what I can see, it looks like after the lift was installed the front tires were a little leaned in on top (camber) like this / \. With your amount of lift it is fine but that is why aftermarket upper control arms are recommended with 3" and up because the stock one can only adjust so far out. Also you were a little toe in meaning the front of your tires were closer than the back of your tires. While your numbers weren't horrible, probably better that you got it done so your tires will wear evenly.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    One problem is that u brought it to sears lol .... bring it to toyota, your service manager may even be able to put the alignment under warranty since you have a 2014. Im doing an eibach spring upgrade this weekend and will be making an appointment with toyota for early Monday morning for an alignment..... because there is no way that when set at 1.75 with stock springs the Upper Control arms would run out of adjustment.... there's no way lol

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    the technician should have been able to get your camber #'s down closer to zero than they are. i would take it back if i were you. I'm just really anal when it comes to my alignments and how my truck drives lol.

7. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    It means you're camber is +(1, 0.8)+ degree, top of tire is out more then the bottom buy that much, caster is more positive on left, but very close so it shouldn't pull, but if does it would to the left.
    The toe is what bothers me, it's supposed to be 'toed-in' about (-0.1) to (-0.4) degrees to compensate for large tire flex, what's your tire size and how does it drive?

Edit, I just saw 265/75-16, which is what I run... that's not too big but still, you might be fine but Ford F350s we have to toe them is ever so slightly (-) with 33' or bigger... My Tacoma is on the middle of a control arms, CV and Rack&pinion swap, alignment was never right 'till hopefully this Monday... cheers

and yes your specs were way off, cambered in one side (-), and cambered out on the other (+), the caster was amazingly close before than after, toe was (-) so the opposite of what you ended up with.

I personally like tires straight up and down, so camber near zero...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    stcktnkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    Thank you everyone for all the info.

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    stcktnkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    it drives fine...doesnt pull or anything

10. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    It will drive fine, but you may notice some abnormal tire wear as a side effect.

11. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Yes, outside edge of the tires will wear quicker. Should try to have camber at least below 0.5 or so IMHO. Caster could also be more evenly matched side to side.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  12. Mar 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Just rotate them more often to accommodate.

13. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    Can't echo this enough and I'm in the middle of fighting alignment issues myself...two trips to the same alignment shop and it's still jacked up. Beyond frustrated right now and the truck drives so crappy I'm ready to take the lift off :(

14. Mar 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I say just take it to the dealer tho.... they usually have the best equipment , like the most recent hunter alignment racks to get the job done the correct way... and its usually the same or cheaper in price than another local shop. My dealer is $75 plus tax for a full alignment.

15. Mar 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    looking4vr

looking4vr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Lusby, MD
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OffRoad 6MT
    Bone Stock, for now
    The crap I got from the shop was "sorry, we can't do any more for you without more labor. A "standard" alignment is a toe n go - what you need is suspension tuning". Piss off and give me my truck back. Have you had good experience with the dealer? I'm leary of the dealer that's near me. We call it the stealership.

16. Mar 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    jessandjamie

jessandjamie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    I was given a sob story about my wheel and tire combo giving them issues. I put the stock stuff back on just for the alignment because after two attempts they couldnt get it right. Claimed they couldn't hook the reflector on the aftermarket wheel due to the bead of the tire hanging over it.

17. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    LOLOL omg what a bunch of crap lmao, that shop sounds like a bunch of hacks no offence lol, and yes, ive always had luck with my particular dealer, it's all about forming a good relationship with the dealer and the majority of them are pretty good and have all the necessary tools to get it done right.. I literally just made an appointment to go to the dealer for monday @ 8 am to get my alignment done and get my headlights aimed lol... I dont wanna thread jack the OP so plz PM me if u have other questions, im curious about what lift you are running and am curious as to what you have exactly is contributing to your issue

Products Discussed in

To Top