Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

got an alignment...what does this mean?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
stcktnkid is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
stcktnkid's Tacoma Gallery
got an alignment...what does this mean?

2014 tacoma...got front Bilstein 5100 set at 1.75 in the front, and 265/75/16 Duratracs...had Sears do an alignment for $85. Here is the print out.

Can someone tell me what this means or sum it up? was my alignment off? Did it need to be done? Was it worth it?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Well, Sears should have gone over it with you. Actually I thought Sears had closed all their tire centers. Odd.

Anyway, you can see the printout is color-coded. Sure, probably a key to the colors would be useful - I see that is missing.

GREEN = Good (within specs for that model)

RED = Bad (out of specs for that model)

So, you can see some things were out of spec when you brought it in (RED) and that everything is GREEN afterwards, except for the Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) which is really close to being in-spec. Probably nothing to worry about.

About sums it up.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcktnkid View Post
2014 tacoma...got front Bilstein 5100 set at 1.75 in the front, and 265/75/16 Duratracs...had Sears do an alignment for $85. Here is the print out.

Can someone tell me what this means or sum it up? was my alignment off? Did it need to be done? Was it worth it?

Thanks,
Chris
Everything was in spec except for the toe on the Front wheels.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
From what I can see, it looks like after the lift was installed the front tires were a little leaned in on top (camber) like this / \. With your amount of lift it is fine but that is why aftermarket upper control arms are recommended with 3" and up because the stock one can only adjust so far out. Also you were a little toe in meaning the front of your tires were closer than the back of your tires. While your numbers weren't horrible, probably better that you got it done so your tires will wear evenly.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
One problem is that u brought it to sears lol .... bring it to toyota, your service manager may even be able to put the alignment under warranty since you have a 2014. Im doing an eibach spring upgrade this weekend and will be making an appointment with toyota for early Monday morning for an alignment..... because there is no way that when set at 1.75 with stock springs the Upper Control arms would run out of adjustment.... there's no way lol
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
the technician should have been able to get your camber #'s down closer to zero than they are. i would take it back if i were you. I'm just really anal when it comes to my alignments and how my truck drives lol.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
hilux30 will become famous soon enoughhilux30 will become famous soon enough

hilux30's Tacoma Gallery
It means you're camber is +(1, 0.8)+ degree, top of tire is out more then the bottom buy that much, caster is more positive on left, but very close so it shouldn't pull, but if does it would to the left.
The toe is what bothers me, it's supposed to be 'toed-in' about (-0.1) to (-0.4) degrees to compensate for large tire flex, what's your tire size and how does it drive?

Edit, I just saw 265/75-16, which is what I run... that's not too big but still, you might be fine but Ford F350s we have to toe them is ever so slightly (-) with 33' or bigger... My Tacoma is on the middle of a control arms, CV and Rack&pinion swap, alignment was never right 'till hopefully this Monday... cheers

and yes your specs were way off, cambered in one side (-), and cambered out on the other (+), the caster was amazingly close before than after, toe was (-) so the opposite of what you ended up with.

I personally like tires straight up and down, so camber near zero...
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Thank you everyone for all the info.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
it drives fine...doesnt pull or anything
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, outside edge of the tires will wear quicker. Should try to have camber at least below 0.5 or so IMHO. Caster could also be more evenly matched side to side.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
It will drive fine, but you may notice some abnormal tire wear as a side effect.
Just rotate them more often to accommodate.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brad
looking4vr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezinstangl View Post
the technician should have been able to get your camber #'s down closer to zero than they are. i would take it back if i were you. I'm just really anal when it comes to my alignments and how my truck drives lol.
Can't echo this enough and I'm in the middle of fighting alignment issues myself...two trips to the same alignment shop and it's still jacked up. Beyond frustrated right now and the truck drives so crappy I'm ready to take the lift off
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4vr View Post
Can't echo this enough and I'm in the middle of fighting alignment issues myself...two trips to the same alignment shop and it's still jacked up. Beyond frustrated right now and the truck drives so crappy I'm ready to take the lift off
I say just take it to the dealer tho.... they usually have the best equipment , like the most recent hunter alignment racks to get the job done the correct way... and its usually the same or cheaper in price than another local shop. My dealer is $75 plus tax for a full alignment.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brad
looking4vr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
I say just take it to the dealer tho.... they usually have the best equipment , like the most recent hunter alignment racks to get the job done the correct way... and its usually the same or cheaper in price than another local shop. My dealer is $75 plus tax for a full alignment.
The crap I got from the shop was "sorry, we can't do any more for you without more labor. A "standard" alignment is a toe n go - what you need is suspension tuning". Piss off and give me my truck back. Have you had good experience with the dealer? I'm leary of the dealer that's near me. We call it the stealership.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
jessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud ofjessandjamie has much to be proud of
jessandjamie's Tacoma Gallery
I was given a sob story about my wheel and tire combo giving them issues. I put the stock stuff back on just for the alignment because after two attempts they couldnt get it right. Claimed they couldn't hook the reflector on the aftermarket wheel due to the bead of the tire hanging over it.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4vr View Post
The crap I got from the shop was "sorry, we can't do any more for you without more labor. A "standard" alignment is a toe n go - what you need is suspension tuning". Piss off and give me my truck back. Have you had good experience with the dealer? I'm leary of the dealer that's near me. We call it the stealership.
LOLOL omg what a bunch of crap lmao, that shop sounds like a bunch of hacks no offence lol, and yes, ive always had luck with my particular dealer, it's all about forming a good relationship with the dealer and the majority of them are pretty good and have all the necessary tools to get it done right.. I literally just made an appointment to go to the dealer for monday @ 8 am to get my alignment done and get my headlights aimed lol... I dont wanna thread jack the OP so plz PM me if u have other questions, im curious about what lift you are running and am curious as to what you have exactly is contributing to your issue