Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Full LT or Mid travel front and LT rear?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
Full LT or Mid travel front and LT rear?

So soon enough I will have to make this decision and cant come to a verdict. I originally was planning to go full LT but then had an epiphany on how much money I can save going with fully loaded mid travel front (coilovers, bypasses and hydro bumps) and a full DMZ LT rear. I do want to run 35's and of course re gear the diff. Bumpers and a good spare carrier are also in order.

So I guess what I need is lots of opinions such as pros and cons of either or. I also need to listen to my emotional and rational needs but your opinions mean a lot to me so please...shoot away!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I assuming youre a pre-runner and mainly go to the des and daily driver? with that said no good reason to go with Mid travel if your desert mobing. If you go to a good mid and go fast youll end up wanting to faster.

Just bite the bullet and go full LT.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
1. What do you want your truck to do?

2. If the MT/LT option is a financial one rather than a practical one (WRT #1), save yourself some disappointment and money and wait until you can afford LT/LT. If not, go with your MT/LT plan.

Either way, your truck will be much more capable offroad than most anything you'll see on the road or trail.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
I assuming youre a pre-runner and mainly go to the des and daily driver? with that said no good reason to go with Mid travel if your desert mobing. If you go to a good mid and go fast youll end up wanting to faster.

Just bite the bullet and go full LT.
Yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Danks View Post
Currently im regretting my overpriced MT parts....thinking of going full LT now as im really not impressed with the improvement. My Fox Res Coilovers are really loud and squeeky... bought them brand new.... is this normal with uniball UCAs?
And look at what this guy said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post

I regret not going LT before MT.
I know he lives in SoCal, but other than that, he seems pretty smart.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMO CAMPOS View Post
So soon enough I will have to make this decision and cant come to a verdict. I originally was planning to go full LT but then had an epiphany on how much money I can save going with fully loaded mid travel front (coilovers, bypasses and hydro bumps) and a full DMZ LT rear. I do want to run 35's and of course re gear the diff. Bumpers and a good spare carrier are also in order.

So I guess what I need is lots of opinions such as pros and cons of either or. I also need to listen to my emotional and rational needs but your opinions mean a lot to me so please...shoot away!
Not too sure you will save much if any money going full MT

Coilovers $1400
UCA $600
LCA $1600 (or $600 if you got the smokin deal I got)
King Bypasses $1200 (going to have to buy them new chances of finding 6 inch stroke bypasses used is almost nil)
Dual shock Hoops $350
Your going to need to gusset your spindles at minimum or buy aftermarket spindles so your looking at between $200 to $1400 depending on how you do it.

Labor to put this all together if you can't do it yourself.

I'm pretty sure by the time your done with the Ultimate MT setup you may have spent the same amount of money as LT.

How do I know all this....here is my setup

Regardless of the small diff in cost between MT and LT I love my setup and don't regret it one bit. But as I said above I got my LCA's for $600 bucks and that made a big diff in my decision making on staying MT.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

Thank you so much guys awesome feedback! Whats putting me over the edge on full LT is fenders, paint and where I'm saving is the fact that I already have camburg spindles, icon coilovers and TC ucas. Not sure if this saves me a bunch but still kinda leaning towards full LT...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMO CAMPOS View Post
Thank you so much guys awesome feedback! Whats putting me over the edge on full LT is fenders, paint and where I'm saving is the fact that I already have camburg spindles, icon coilovers and TC ucas. Not sure if this saves me a bunch but still kinda leaning towards full LT...
If you get a full LT kit it's a can of worms but well worth it performance wise. But the $$ adds up quick.

You can always sell your old parts to help offset some cost.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Not too sure you will save much if any money going full MT

Coilovers $1400

UCA $600

LCA $1600 (or $600 if you got the smokin deal I got)

King Bypasses $1200 (going to have to buy them new chances of finding 6 inch stroke bypasses used is almost nil)

Dual shock Hoops $350

Your going to need to gusset your spindles at minimum or buy aftermarket spindles so your looking at between $200 to $1400 depending on how you do it.

Labor to put this all together if you can't do it yourself.

I'm pretty sure by the time your done with the Ultimate MT setup you may have spent the same amount of money as LT.

How do I know all this....here is my setup

Regardless of the small diff in cost between MT and LT I love my setup and don't regret it one bit. But as I said above I got my LCA's for $600 bucks and that made a big diff in my decision making on staying MT.

Really cool set up! How would you describe the ride quality difference and performance out in the dirt? And are you ever going LT in the rear? Do you feel this would improve the capability of your front set up?
Sorry for the interrogation but I just want to have my ducks in a row!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
At this point I have no intention of going LT. I am extremely happy with the performance of the front end. It is butter smooth thru most of what I put it thru. I will be going rear LT (DMA SUA) soon just so the rear can keep up with the front because I can really tell how much the rear limits me.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Id go LT if you don't mind checking the bolts every few weeks for torque specs, dealing with a wider truck, ect. It costs a little bit more in the end but its worth it and complements rear LT very well. With a mid travel set like Tom's (Airdog) you get way better dampening but you only gain an extra inch or so of actual wheel travel (8-9"), with long travel, you will run from 14-16" of front wheel travel. I will say, it is a pain to get glass, mount it, paint it and remount it but the end product is amazing. Im still currently in the process...

Old 03-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between full MT front parts and LT is

$550 axles for 4x4 plus install if needed
$400 ish for front fenders plus install and paint if needed
$600 ish more for LT kit vs MT
$80 ish brake lines

Think that's about it
Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Difference between full MT front parts and LT is

$550 axles for 4x4 plus install if needed
$400 ish for front fenders plus install and paint if needed
$600 ish more for LT kit vs MT
$80 ish brake lines

Think that's about it
This.

And the installation is pretty much the same minus getting glass and getting it painted. Full MT has uppers, lowers, bumps, bypasses. IMO you are really just choosing how much travel you want, if you can handle a wider truck and if you don't mind buying fiberglass.

Granted, it also depends how hard you drive your truck. As far as maintenance id say LT is a little more expensive but not by much and that's only considering you utilize your LT to its fullest extent when you go out.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
This.

And the installation is pretty much the same minus getting glass and getting it painted. Full MT has uppers, lowers, bumps, bypasses. IMO you are really just choosing how much travel you want, if you can handle a wider truck and if you don't mind buying fiberglass.

Granted, it also depends how hard you drive your truck. As far as maintenance id say LT is a little more expensive but not by much and that's only considering you utilize your LT to its fullest extent when you go out.
For me, that's the real deciding factor. My truck is my daily driver, and I have no place close to take advantage of LT, so it'd be money wasted. If I lived in the Southwest, I probably go full LT.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah if you're not hitting the dez pretty hard going LT is a tough pill to swallow unless it's easily in your budget . MT does great on most trails and desert cruising .
Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Well, let's play chess.

Yup. That's why I'm finally installing my MT Lite suspension.

It should do everything I ask of it very well.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Is the glass really that bad? I would think that would be cake after doing all of that suspension work
Old 03-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
Is the glass really that bad? I would think that would be cake after doing all of that suspension work
Most suspension work is basically bolting on parts, but if you want something like that to look good, it takes a combination of time, skill, and money. There's some art to doing body work right.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #18

Well thanks again guys! I think what got me to this decision is my job. My job is just consuming my personal life! However when I do go out I want a really good set up. Before this promotion I just got, I did have a lot more desert time and was fully convinced on doing full LT. Now I don't think I'll be doing anywhere enough desert trips to keep me convinced on blowing 20k on LT...