Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Search is narrowed! TRD Sport or Off Road better for a PreRunner?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
rtmerry is on a distinguished road
rtmerry's Tacoma Gallery
Search is narrowed! TRD Sport or Off Road better for a PreRunner?

Ok, gents. Search is narrowed. A V6 DC PreRunner w/ the TRD Sport or Off-Road? Again, I'll be city-driving 95% of the time. No severe weather or snow or ice of any kind here. Is there a thread with an explanation of the differences and with pictures? Which should I pick?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Howdy, if you go here and click on an image on the right lower there is an Info button that tells you vehicle equipment line.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/photo-gallery.html
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Offroad= Rear Diff Locker, 4wd would have ATRAC, 16" Wheels, slightly softer suspension

Sport= Color matched bumper and door handles, hood skewp 17" wheels, stiffer suspension

Really depends on your preference. The upside of the offroad is the extra off road capabilities, but if you don't need that then it's just up to what you think looks better.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future

Name: Philip
2Tac0s's Tacoma Gallery
Off-Road.
Because its what I have. haha
Old 03-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmerry View Post
Ok, gents. Search is narrowed. A V6 DC PreRunner w/ the TRD Sport or Off-Road? Again, I'll be city-driving 95% of the time. No severe weather or snow or ice of any kind here. Is there a thread with an explanation of the differences and with pictures? Which should I pick?

I read there will be no offroading .... therefore why buy the 0ffroad?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
jtweezy is on a distinguished road
jtweezy's Tacoma Gallery
Do the Sports still have a stiffer suspension in the rear (over the Off-Road)? I've been reading all about the 3+1 (Sports) vs 2+1 (Off-Roads) rear leafs, but my 2014 Off-Road has 3+1...unless I don't know how to count leaf springs.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Boonie Buster is on a distinguished road
Boonie Buster's Tacoma Gallery
Any reason not to just get an SR5? I see (in my opinion) no reason to get an offroad package with the e-locker if you have no intentions of getting a 4wd truck. It's an expensive extra you will never use. Save yourself some money for other goodies.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtweezy View Post
Do the Sports still have a stiffer suspension in the rear (over the Off-Road)? I've been reading all about the 3+1 (Sports) vs 2+1 (Off-Roads) rear leafs, but my 2014 Off-Road has 3+1...unless I don't know how to count leaf springs.

As of mid october 2013 alll 6 lug tacoma's have the 3+1 leaf packs in the rear. Go to any of your local yota dealers and just look at the trucks.... from you regular cab 4 banger to your dcsb off road 4x4 and your dclb sport... all of them have a 3+1 leaf packs.

Before october 2013 only the sport and SR5's with tow packages got the 3+1 packs.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Phildo is on a distinguished road
Name: Phil
Phildo's Tacoma Gallery
I use my locker to pull my boat out of the lake. I say off road.

It will pull the boat out with out the locker, it just spins a lot till the dry part of the boat ramp.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
For a pre-runner (and i assume you mean a desert prerunner) I would suggest the TRD Offroad. The locker is handy, tires are cheaper for a 16" rim. Suspension for both doesnt matter if you are making a prerunner because none of it will be there. If you dont care about the locker, get an SR5, not paying extra for the crap that you will be tearing off the truck.

Other considerations are the rear axle size. The Sport has an 8.4" rear end and the OR has a 8.0" rear end. Most of the prerunners that want a solid rear end usually swap to a tundra rear end for added width without spacers.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
pittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to beholdpittsnogled is a splendid one to behold

Name: kirk
pittsnogled's Tacoma Gallery
I think you want a sport. you dont need a locker or atrac. you want the comfort of the trd seats and the cosmetics and firmer ride of the sport.

your first post on this made it clear to me that you need a sport! now what color are you going to get?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Cutler is on a distinguished road
Cutler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
For a pre-runner (and i assume you mean a desert prerunner) I would suggest the TRD Offroad. The locker is handy, tires are cheaper for a 16" rim. Suspension for both doesnt matter if you are making a prerunner because none of it will be there. If you dont care about the locker, get an SR5, not paying extra for the crap that you will be tearing off the truck.

Other considerations are the rear axle size. The Sport has an 8.4" rear end and the OR has a 8.0" rear end. Most of the prerunners that want a solid rear end usually swap to a tundra rear end for added width without spacers.

Got a great 2012 TRD sport for sale if you are interested
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
rtmerry's Tacoma Gallery
All right... drum roll please... bah dahhhhhh! Hopefully in a week, I will be able to present you guys with a new 2014 PreRunner DCSB TRD Sport in a handsome magnetic grey. I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined so I apologize for some of your car jargon going right over my head. But I DO very much thank you all for your input - I was almost swayed to a 4x4 because it might've come in handy in the future, but I couldn't justify the extra $3k to myself. I won't be doing any heavy modding - the tailgate clamp mod is already going to test my comfort zone. Thank you for saving me from the Texas Edition/TSS trims I was nearly talked into.

Edit: Oh, and I posted it elsewhere on the boards, but does anyone have a suggestion for a dog box? And any other must-buy accessories or an immediate to-do on the truck? I've got the tailgate mod that I think I can do on my own. Any others that will make life easier?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #15
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice! You might think about a step/nerf bar/running board, all season floor mat like weathertechs and my best mod a bed cover. Hope you have a good experience.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #16
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
The Sport package is the sexist.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
cooleronline is on a distinguished road

cooleronline's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=rtmerry;8349678]... any other must-buy accessories or an immediate to-do on the truck? /QUOTE]

Search the boards for the ImMrYo bracket. It will greatly increase your field of view out the windshield. It lifts the mirror out of the middle of the windshield. Cheap and easy to install.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
rtmerry's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=cooleronline;8353045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmerry View Post
... any other must-buy accessories or an immediate to-do on the truck? /QUOTE]

Search the boards for the ImMrYo bracket. It will greatly increase your field of view out the windshield. It lifts the mirror out of the middle of the windshield. Cheap and easy to install.
I was thinking of replacing the mirror with a Gentex auto-dimming one with Homelink. Do you know how I would go about doing that? I'm not great with tools at all and would be scared of messing something up.