Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Failure on a 2014

Old 03-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
AZ hunter is on a distinguished road
Name: Kade
AZ hunter's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Failure on a 2014

Well, my truck had been making an unhealthy sounding noise when I started it cold. It would then make an even worse noise when I would put it in gear first thing in the morning. It sounded like it was coming from the trany, so I took it to Precision Toyota here in Tucson, which is where I bought it from. I haven't gotten any specifics yet but they informed me that they will be replacing the transmission due to the original one "failing".

They have been great to deal with, but still, slightly unnerving that my transmission went out with 3000 miles on my truck.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt sounds like a common occurance. As long as they are replacing the transmission free of charge from being under warranty. I Wouldnt worry much about it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
happy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shedhappy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

happy's Tacoma Gallery

Holy Cow! I'm glad it's getting worked out for you--post up when they explain what happened!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Softtacosupreme is on a distinguished road

Softtacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. That's terrible. Its nice to know they are replacing it BUUUUUUT. What's to say this next one won't last only 3000 miles. I guess we'll have to wait and see what was the determining factor. Good luck OP.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtacosupreme View Post
Wow. That's terrible. Its nice to know they are replacing it BUUUUUUT. What's to say this next one won't last only 3000 miles. I guess we'll have to wait and see what was the determining factor. Good luck OP.
Statistics
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtacosupreme View Post
My wife had a transmission go out in a 98 Sienna Van @ about 30K miles or so. It is still running strong after about 250K additional miles...

Odds are good it will be OK.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota maybe reliable, but anything that is mass produced can be defective occasionally. Since you are getting a brand new one, I wouldnt be mad.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
TCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant future
TCRAWFORD's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of noise was it making? Did it sound anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZ4eymsovY
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRAWFORD View Post

That sounds like your motor.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
TCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant futureTCRAWFORD has a brilliant future
Not my video but it is a problem that is starting to pop up in '13-'14's that has not been figured out yet. OP said strange noises on cold start up, was just checking to see if it sounded like that.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by G17GUY View Post
That sounds like your motor.

My apologies, but that is funny.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post

My apologies, but that is funny.

Sound like he's trying to run gas in his new diesel taco.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You really are new aren't you. It's ok we all have been here. That sir is considered normal not not much of a fix to be done. Just drive it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Anything on a vehicle can fail. Just be vigilant on when something sounds funny. If your truck is making a noise take it in as soon as you hear it more than once.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post

You really are new aren't you. It's ok we all have been here. That sir is considered normal not not much of a fix to be done. Just drive it.
Yes I am new to this forum but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be just me...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-may-shot.html
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Yes I am new to this forum but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be just me...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-may-shot.html
I was referring to the irony of this comment, not trying to start a pig pile.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I was referring to the irony of this comment, not trying to start a pig pile.
Oh no its all good, Im well aware of the stigma of being the new guy.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Backdoor Commentator

Welcome to TW!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
SWB Tacoma is on a distinguished road
SWB Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did a search one day an remember seeing the clearances for the lifters when they are set. That leads me to believe that the lifters are mechanical lifter an require to have clearances an make a slight noise until they warm up some.

But I have not been able to find that info again. Maybe somebody else could post it if they run across it.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. Just pointing out your ticking you're hearing is engine tick. Almost all of them do it and one guy found a fix for him but it doesn't really work well for others.