Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock Running Boards vs Smittybuilt Black Nerf Step Bars

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
sfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sfierro's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Running Boards vs Smittybuilt Black Nerf Step Bars

Hello all!

Just asking some opinions.
What step/nerf bar do you recommend? The OEM Running boards from Toyota or the Smittybuilt Black Nerf step bars? Price seems about the same so I am completely stuck here

Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
abfackeln is on a distinguished road
abfackeln's Tacoma Gallery
I had the stock boards on my '09. Being somewhat short (around 5'5"), they sat high for me, so it wasn't much different than just getting into the cab without them. Bought the Smittybilts like you have pictured, and because of the dropped step, they work perfect. And they look better too.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Number 2
Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
weendoggy is on a distinguished road
weendoggy's Tacoma Gallery
If I had a choice it would be the nerf bar. However, I like the stock tube steps from Toyota. I had them on my '08 and kept them when I bought my '14. They are nice to get in/out of and easily cleaned. They are also very handy when washing the roof of the cab because I can just move side to side without worrying about stepping off the tube. In that case the boards are better, but I don't like the board look.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
I sold the ones of my 2011 because I want sliders in the future but in my opinion anything > stock ones.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
mcbagpiper is on a distinguished road
mcbagpiper's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a set of the Smittybilt on my 14 TRD DCLB, they're great! Easy to install on your own, they're light enough to hold in place while inserting the first couple of bolts.

The steps work perfectly for my boys (5yr olds), and they'll need it soon b/c the truck is getting lifted in the next couple of weeks!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
sfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfierro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sfierro's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone seems to love the Nerf bars. I think you have made my mind for me. I love how they look on your DCLB /\. I have a dcsb 13 sport.

Thanks!

Would you guys recommend Amazon? With prime they are $329 plus tax and free two day shipping
Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Black OEM powdercoated tube steps, best look and quality.... oem running boards are flimsy and look dinky lol, and aftermarket options always rust out and/look tacky unless you go NFAB but they only look good if you have a lift, or remove your musflaps and get bushwacker pocket style fender flares.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #11
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
x whatever # on the Smittybilts step bars. Just an FYI, N-fabs and Smittybilt are the same manufacturer but it's cheaper to search them under Smittybilt. Bought mine used here a few yrs back off a shortbed to put on my LB.