1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why are there so many haters for Tacomas!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 907Yoda, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Being a Ford guy for 15 years and a Toyota guy for 6 years my experiences couldn't be any further from yours. My Tacoma is a POS and has only 94k on it. It has so many problems it would take me 15 minutes to type them all.

My 3 Fords on the other hand weren't perfect but had way less issues. I beat the balls off my 89' 5.0 Mustang for 3 years and never had a single issue besides some rear wheel bearings from me doing so many one leggers. I had a 99' Explorer with a 4.0 for over 200k and 10 years. It never had any issues not covered by warranty and got better mileage then my 08' 4.0 Tacoma. Currently while my POS Tacoma is "down" due to mechanical issues I purchased a AWD 97' Explorer with a 5.0 in it. It has 130k on it and gets better gas mileage then my Tacoma and even though it is 12 years older then my Tacoma it has had way less parts replaced on it. My Tacoma will never even make it to even being that old because the POS frame will rust out from under it just like the past 20 years of Toytota trucks has.

Now flame away fan boys.

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Wow, if your Tacoma is that bad mechanically then why do you keep it and not trade in for another Ford?

Sounds like you got a lemon or something. That's the totally opposite experience that all of my friends and family have had with Toyota vs Ford. My best friend has over 240k miles on his Tacoma right now, bought with just over 100k miles and has never had a single problem with it. It has even had drive line vibes the entire time without a failure.

The frame rust and drive line vibes are really the only weak points that I know of, but if you maintain your frame and put an oil coating on it every year it should be fine and last for as long as you need it to. If you're worried about your frame rusting, have you ever done anything to maintain it?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  3. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Agree on the older Tacomas (pre TMMTX, pre TMMBC). My 02 xtra cab 4 cyl, 4x2, had alot of problems/pending problems. Engine knocking on startup, dragging front brakes that destroyed the front rotors (normal per toyota), frame rust (not critical and fixed) rear-end noises/whine (even with diff oil changes), cooling fan clutch early failure, poor gas mileage, and an auto trans whine when in reverse), massive rust out on the chrome bumpers, could go on/on.
    'Fortunately' a left turner cut me off and did $5k in damage-ins company said it was worth 10,500 at 10 years old, 75 k miles (paid 15900) so no total. I took the $5k, started a bidding war on the wreck, sold it at is for $2600 to a Fla internet dealer) and use the total on my down payment for '12 prerunner.
    NUMMI build trucks, as I stated earlier, were a great problem for toyota. They wouldn't admit it though. But the Texas and Baja plants are much more capable of making an AMERICAN (or NORTH AMERICAN) quality vehicle. I'll stand by the quality I've observed so far. ( 2years).

4. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    davem311

davem311 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4. El Taco Blanco.
    3" Pro Comp Lift. Toyo At2 285/70r18. Pro Comp Alloy Rims. TRD Intake. Fogs Anytime Mod. Oil Catch Can. SnugTop Rebel Shell. Weather TEC floor mats. Mirror Mod. Garmin Etrex Hardwire.
    At the end of the day its what you use it for. A ton of people around me I serve with all have huge trucks, 2500s turbo diesels and what not. Thing is they don't tow a darn thing. They just want a big truck to have a big truck. My taco is perfect for everything I use it for, and if could handle way more than I put it through.

5. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I clearly stated I bought a Ford while my Toyota is down.

I'm not one to give up on anything so I take my time and fix it.

Your buddy had driveline issues the entire time, but yet never had issues?

When you figure out how to oil metal that is laminated together in sheets on a boxed section of frame and rusts out from within let me and everyone else know because all 2nd gens will eventually do this at the front right by the cats.

6. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    Lets be honest with ourselves, it's all about WHY you're buying the truck. I have had 2 American cars and they both sucked. Since then, all Japanese and only minor issues if any.

If you have a toy hauler, or a 5th wheel, and you're pulling it with a Tacoma? Sorry, but fail. Tacomas are great trucks, reliable, capable, and look good IMO. But work horses they are not.

7. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Yes my buddy's Tacoma has had light drive line vibration the entire time he has owned the truck, but no failures related to it or reason to have anything replaced or fixed. He's still driving it at 240k miles with the same light vibration so a non issue in both of our minds.

I think you lost all credibility with this statement. fueleconomy.gov shows lower avg MPG ratings on that year and model Explorer for even a 6cyl 4.0L 2WD model:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1997_Ford_Explorer.shtml

If your getting less MPG than that in your Tacoma then something is majorly wrong, or you must be running huge mud tires, with a super charger, and heavy on the pedal every where you go. I get 19 MPG AVG consistently in my 4x4 TRD OR DC.

8. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    sodoscott

sodoscott Well-Known Member

Member:
    south california
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma trd off road mid-travel
    kingshocks, total chaos
  9. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    And yet you're still here????

Not a fanboy because every vehicle has it's issues but if you choose to keep your POS that is no one's fault but your own. You have no one to blame but yourself. If my truck was as shitty as you say yours is and you keep it you have no sympathy from me.

10. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  11. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    No issues with mine on the 11. But... I took care of mine. If you can find any rust I would challenge you.

Picture taken at 30,000 miles on the 11 and drove it in all types of weather from salt to salt water to snow and pretty much everything else you can think of.

DSC_0070_a2e9b2ab01f68efdfc5ca1be9e0cfcd273fa854c.jpg

DSC_0069_ff485ff4b9eb40a165b2f185b02c69bd1e31fb56.jpg

If you choose not to take care of it or do "any" type of maintenance / cleaning then yeah... It will rust.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  12. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    There probably mad they didn't buy a Tacoma lol. I get shit from my friend who drives a jeep, and his cute little SUV has broken down like 6 times this winter haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top