1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone drilled through the flooboard under

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chris(NJ), Mar 14, 2014.

1. Mar 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    the front seat? I'm wondering if this is possible. Truck is parked at home so I can't go look. I searched on here, but not getting very many results.

I want to mount a pistol safe under the seat and it has 4 holes for mounting. I'd like to drop 4 bolts through and put a washer/nut on the undercarriage so the safe can't just be pulled out.

Anyone ever done this? Is it even possible or too much shit in the way?:confused:

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    I had a similar idea except mounting it to another metal plate or some flat stock that has holes drilled in it, using the factory seat bolts to go through the new plate. This way I wouldn't have to drill any new holes.

3. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    egres

egres Well-Known Member

Member:
    DELCO PA
    Vehicle:
    13 singel cab - 2WD - manual - 17K before tax:)
    Bench-seat covers $180 (Can't believe its not leather),Bed Liner $375 (Bed rug), Roof rack $180 (Rhino-rack 2500 Series, plus DK clamps and pads), Modified Bed extender $85 (Extend-A-Truck 944 Truck Bed Extender), Hood lift assist $80 (RedlineTuning), Hood light $53 (tacomaworld.com âtacodaneâ), Hitch receiver $120 (Curt Manufacturing 13323 Class III Receiver), T connector for trailer $43 (CURT Manufacturing 55513 T-Connector), Manuel tailgate lock $30 (gatekeeper tailgate lock), Tailgate assist $28 (Sachs SG329900EZ Lift Support), Tailgate lock $67 (Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Tailgate Lock PL5301), Spare tire lock $12 (Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock), Hardwired battery float charger $20 (Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps) , Vin # Glass etching $33 (vinguard.org), Easy oil drain plug $30 (Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve), Floor mats $80 (Husky Liners 2-Piece Front Liner 2-Piece Front Liner), out of space :)
  4. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Under the seat on the Doublecabs is ducting for the HVAC for people in the rear seat, both front seats if I remember correctly. Not to mention wiring for the seats/airbags.

If that doesn't bother you, the outside of the floorboard that faces the road is clear, just sheet metal.

5. Mar 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/320367-safe.html

Fwiw, nothing under the carpeting in this area. All wiring was forward of the holes and the ducting was also in front of this. The safe will block about half the airflow coming off this duct. Really no big deal. My only concern before drilling was hitting on of those fuel rails once I broke through, but cleared those with no problem as well.

Thanks for the info guys!

6. Mar 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Use carriage bolts up through the floor and the nuts inside the safe.

Could use a sheet metal punch to make the square holes for the bolts.

7. Mar 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    Theives are getting crafty... I would use carriage bolts that come from under the truck, then cut off the excess. Much better security. With just a couple exposed nuts, a thief could remove with a pair of hand pliers in about a minute if he wanted to. Just my $.02

8. Mar 17, 2014 at 3:24 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    hmmm, not bad ideas! The bolt holes don't run through the safe though. Only to the mounting plate that slides into the base of the safe. It's designed to have one or more storage spots, so it can be slid off of the base plate (in this case, the safe would slide towards the front of the truck). Might be a good project to switch it when the weather warms up.

Products Discussed in

To Top