1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose Passenger Seat options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by oklahomastig, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mar 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM
    oklahomastig

oklahomastig [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I've read a few threads about other issues with the passenger seats being loose, but i've never found a solution. In my '13 DC my Passenger seat is the "Fold flat" model that folds down into a table. When I go over bumps the thing shakes like crazy and makes a loud racket. When I grab it it moves forward and back probably an 1/2" total. When I first took my truck in for the driveline vibration TSB, I told them about a weird noise, but they couldn't replicate it. I now know for sure it's the seat, because when my wife rides in the truck with me, no noise over bumps. When it's just me, it's annoying. If anyone else has had this issue, did you have Toyota fix the fold flat seat, or replace it with a standard seat? I don't need the fold flat and would love for them to just put in a standard seat if they can do that under the 36k warranty.

2. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    Bumping this thread because it seems to be getting worse. It's bad enough where I have to hold the seat while i'm driving to prevent it from annoying me enough to crash the truck. When I hold the seat nice and tight, my interior is finally rattle free for the most part, but when the seat is free and no one is sitting in it, it's not enjoyable to drive. Anyone else had success getting the seat replaced by the dealer?

3. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I don't know what kind of rattle it is, but have you tried just tightening the bolts on it?

4. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    TacoLarry

TacoLarry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    PacNW
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Myca Pyrite 4WD
    You are correct: exceptionally irritating on a $30K+ vehicle. First shot at the dealer in Santa Maria, CA (visiting) and was told it was the same as another vehicle on the lot and therefore "normal". Just visiting here (needed 5K service) so figured it is now on the list and will follow up when home.

5. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Same issue with my truck. Only does it driving over bumps and what not. I guess I just got ust to it but if someone has a fix I would definitely do it if it was cheap.

6. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I'm still waiting to get my leafs for my driveline vibe TSB so I'm probably gonna give them a call tomorrow and get an update on that and mention to the guy what's going on. I already told them about the noise but didn't know it was the seat at the time, now it's dreadfully obvious that it's the seat. I'll post an update after I call them tomorrow..

7. Mar 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    MenloGa

MenloGa Member

Member:
    North Ga
    Vehicle:
    super white SR5 4x4
    3inch OME 886 coils stock UCAs.
    I have the same problem in my 2012 anytime I'm on a rough road. If I lift the lever to lay the seat flat it will stop until someone sits in the seat and then gets out. It could be the latch mechanism has some play in it, I can't figure up a way to fix that though.

8. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    Yea it definitely seems to be the hinge or latch is loose. I've been thinking about taking the plastic guard off and investigating the mechanism to find the source. If the dealer won't replace it, then i'll try and do that. Maybe whatever the latch hooks to is loose and putting some additional material between the receiving end of the latch and the seat might help.

9. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
  10. Mar 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    This morning before work I folded down the seat into table mode. Drove around and it doesn't shake and it's a lot quieter over bumps. This is a good temp fix until I can tear into the hinge but I can't do that all the time

11. Mar 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I really want a standard seat vs the table seat. If it started rattling after 10000 miles, i'm gonna guess replacing it with another is gonna start rattling at 20000 miles.... I doubt they'll be able to swap me out though, they seem pretty strict about staying within warranty guidelines....

12. Mar 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    this is a known and common issue. you wont see much help from a dealer.
    the best you can do is fold the seat down, or position it to help the issue and reduce shaking/rattling.

if you decide to take apart the seat there isnt much you can do in there. the hinge bolts on these seats are tight, id say they are easily over 60 foot pounds, and if i recall mine had locktight on them when i dissembled my seat. have a look as to what you're getting into. its easy to take apart but there's not much in there to mess with, only possibly make it worse and then have the dealer claim its your fault for messing with it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...b-katzkin-leather-installation-pix-heavy.html

13. Mar 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    B737- What part of the hinge is causing the issue? Is it where the hinge actually meets the seat back? Or is it where the latch connects?

14. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I don't think it's in the hinge. U can see in the photos of that thread how the back hinges on those 6 bolts and the keyed bar. I think it's just the way the seat is constructed how the seat back is essentially held up over the seat bottom from those brackets. I wish we didn't have table top seat :(

15. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    There is a bungee cord in your future.

16. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Gerrrr

Gerrrr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Metallic (Limited 2013 Silver Streak DC Auto - Retired)
    Starting over.......
    I was about to suggest the bungee cord. I had the same vibration issue and I put a bungee between the headrests to hang the iPad from for the kids. No more vibration and I don't notice the cord. Just left it there.

Still pathetic for a $35K truck.

17. Mar 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    Yea I used a Bungee cord and it sort of fixed it but not really, maybe I didn't use one that was tight enough, but I agree, it's unacceptable for an expensive truck and I will be asking the dealer to look into it. I almost want to find a way to remove the folding ability and "bolt" it or zip tie the bastard in place so it can't fold, but it won't rattle...

18. Mar 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    oklahomastig

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I called the dealer today and inquired about my TSB leaves, still not in yet (been about 2.5 weeks) but I told him "Remember when I complained about the noise? I found it" and told him it was the seat, and when I said it was the fold down model, his voice changed kind of a "Oh yes we've heard that" tone of voice, but he said we'd have to discuss options when I bring it in, so maybe i'll get somewhere with it...

Products Discussed in

To Top