Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New power outlet upgrade cord

Old 03-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
New power outlet upgrade cord

So I got around to doing my power outlet/power cord upgrade today when doing an oil change today.
I know there are a bunch of different ways but I wanted something a little different, easy to add, and has a bunch of different uses.

Got some links to the parts and types of parts I used.
What I did was used the ring terminal that hooks to the battery and then comes back to the cab. At that point the terminal hooks to the cord(12'), and drops down to the frame rail and follows the frame down to the point of the drivers seat.
On the outside of the frame the under the seat is a rubber grommet with wires going into the cab.
I pulled the sill trim off the drivers side and could see the grommet, I poked a small hole and fed the cord into the cab at the grommet used a wire to feed the cord under the carpet to the hole in the carpet center of the drivers seat.
Everything back in place the wire is tucked under the drivers seat easy to get to. About 4 feet of wire total.

What this does is gives me a port to charge anything or run anything from any seat in the truck. So someone setting in the back seat can charge a phone or pad. You can plug any of the extras to it, the USB port, Lighter port for older type stuff, even a volt meter to check the charge of the battery if you are not running the truck.

Under the hood you also can unplug the cord and plug up anything.
I have lights with that plug, the lighter, USB all the same stuff you use in the cab.

It can also be used to solar charge the truck if needed when you are charging stuff for longer times and not running the truck like camping.
I plug up the solar charger to the cord and set it on the bed cover. Then unplug and use the USB to charge the phone a few hrs and back to solar.
That why when camping for a week I can charge and use the battery, it stays 100% and never run the truck.

This is the same setup I used on an older truck, just as a kit and not cut and chop. Makes it easier to do and less time.

I wish there was something to take pictures of but it is just a wire sticking out under the seat and all the add on stuff.
IF you have questions let me know.

Ring Terminal
http://batterytender.com/products/ac...l-harness.html
Cord
http://batterytender.com/products/ac...sion-lead.html
USB port
http://batterytender.com/usb-charger-qdc.html
Lighter outlet
http://batterytender.com/products/ac...e-adapter.html
Volt meter
http://batterytender.com/products/ac...d-display.html

Solar charger
http://batterytender.com/products/so...r-charger.html
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I like how simple the setup is. If I used that solar charger and used my inverter with the ignition on, do you think that solar panel would keep up the charge on a sunny day? While charging phones and laptops (not heavy draw).
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Sub'd. I like how simple the setup is. If I used that solar charger and used my inverter with the ignition on, do you think that solar panel would keep up the charge on a sunny day? While charging phones and laptops (not heavy draw).
Yes, no problem at all with it on the system I have.

If you have the switch on, then you are going to be running the other stuff in the truck that runs in the back ground for say so I could not say for the switch on.

I had a lap top plugged to mine over the past weekend and also the cell, did not run it 24-7 but a good bit and it was fine with the truck setting not running from Friday night to Sunday about 3 in the afternoon for the trip home.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, that's pretty cool.