1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I have this right?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DBTaco, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I having been looking and looking and looking at possibly lifting my truck just a little. Nothing that requires new UCA's. I first started out looking at spacer then after reading I decided to look at 5100's, then after reading about those on TRD off road springs that they were going to ride pretty stiff I thought maybe I need to go with a new spring and shock.

Then started thinking about the rear. I'm planning whenever the $$$ gets saved up, to do the progressive leaf pack. Now I think with a lift in the rear I need to get new shocks for the rear, is this right?

Do I just need to be looking at different "kits" or can I come out cheaper buying seperate. Geez this site is killing me, I went from a $150 lift to now probably a $600 lift.

Is all this info correct and seem like I've read and researched good enough? I don't want a rough riding truck but I know its still a truck. Biggest tire I would ever get at this point is a 265/75/16 on aftermarket wheel which I know I can do that stock. I know some of you are like man this guy keeps asking stuff and never does any upgrades on his truck.

2. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    Rawkus

Rawkus newb

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    11 DC Bright White TRD Sport
    De-badged, tinted windows, pioneer avh-4300dvd, mephis audio speakers, dynamated doors.
    looking for the exact same answer

3. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    For what you described, it seems like this lift here would be what you are looking for:

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Bilstein-Adjustable-lift-kit-with-5100-shocks_p_132.html

You can contact Dylan at Toytec and they should have no problem swapping a rear AAL for a progressive leaf pack. On other threads I typically recommend this to those for a good starting platform. This one guy last week was looking for 1.5" of lift now and then in the future moving towards a 3" lift if his DD tacoma moved to a weekend toy. This option was one that worked for him.

4. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    JDM DAD

JDM DAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB BRM TRD SPORT
    Dipped badges and wheels
    I'm think about going revtek lift it's 3in lift in the front and levels the rear out also allows up to 33" tires... And the whole kit is $350 and toyota backs it up without voiding warranty

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    From what I've read the spacer lifts really stiffen the ride quality up vs stock and a lot of people suggest going Bilstein 5100 if just wanting to level.

6. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Terrible advice for a lift.

OP Call toytec they will set you up. You don't "need" UCA's right away with a 3 inch lift so you should be good there. Save up and but a good lift you an add pieces to later. Don't buy something then scrape it in 6months to upgrade. Just hold out and buy a good one out the door. Then add UCA's and the fancy stuff later.

7. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    OP, here is a good link that I used when I was looking to lift my Tacoma. Has all the different types of lift options with the pros and cons of all.

http://www.tacomahq.com/66/tacoma-leveling-lift-kit/

"1. The law protects vehicle owners. The Magnusson-Moss act makes it illegal for an auto manufacturer or auto dealer to void a warranty just because a vehicle has been modified. The only way that a vehicle warranty can be effected is if the lift or leveling kit is the direct cause of a failure."

8. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    How about a 2'' lift

OME 884x $189 free shipping downsouthmotorsports.com

Icon 3leaf progressive pack $214 free shipping (little over 2'' w/ overload left in) downsouthmotorsports.com

Bilstiens 5100s (wheelersoffroad price matched) $319 shipped

OME trim packer (taco lean) $8 wheelersoffroad.com

$730 and you'll have lift, smooth ride, and will be styling. :cool:

9. Mar 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    JDM DAD

JDM DAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB BRM TRD SPORT
    Dipped badges and wheels
    " Almost all lift kits involve some sort of compromise. The trick is to make sure that compromise doesn’t impact your intended use.

- There are a lot of very smart people who have differing opinions on the long-term durability of various lift-leveling kit designs. While there is a lot of room for debate, one thing is clear: durability is directly related to use. Heavy off-road users have to be much more concerned with these questions than someone who occasionally drives down a dirt road on the way to a fishing spot." Quoted from tacomahq

I think you need to ask yourself what you want for your truck based on what you will use it for? Everyone else's opinion doesn't really matter at that point.

10. Mar 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    You don't have to get new (i.e. longer) shocks with a lift, but it's recommended, so you don't lose rear suspension travel when off-roading.

There's a "how much have you spent in mods" poll set up by tcBob. Last time I checked, median spending is about $2000, with 2-5% having spent $10000+. You have a ways to go. :D

On a serious note, Rancho has a pre-assembled shock + spring in the QuickLift line that gives 2.5" in the front. It's been on the market a couple of years. The few people here who have tried it, liked it. It's more DIY-friendly than the Bilstein 5100 and OME setups mentioned here.

13592d1184020859-new-rancho-quick-lift-d_3fb790680f45e8fed2cc6e918a5b8ac1e39001ab.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Why would you complain about people saving you from buying a shitty lift?

12. Mar 21, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I wasn't really complaining I was just saying I started off looking at cheaper lifts and with all the reading and pics it seems the better kits seem to be around $600.

13. Mar 21, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    Onurnez

Onurnez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Fog Light Anytime Mod, LED dome and Map, Alpine Head unit, w/ Alpine door replacements, De-badged/De-Flapped, Anzo Black Headlights, Anzo Black Tail lights, Satoshi by Homer, Full OME Kit, LR UCA's Black interior dash parts, UltraGauge, Custom Decals By RuggedT, TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI, Weathertech Rainguards, Weathertech Floormats, Blueinstinct Center and door handle covers, Tacoma Bed Mat, 17x9 Fuel Kranks, 285/70/17, Window Tint: 5% back/35% front, Powerslot Rotors, Redline hood strut, 14'' Black Billet Antenna, LED Bed Light Mod, 100k mile mod
    Since you have a Double Cab, buy some 5100's and eibach coils. Put the shocks at .85 and get yourself a 2 inch AAL. You will sit about .5 inch higher in the back. You are going to need UCA's, I promise you will not like yourself unless you get them. Stick with 265 or 275 tires, 285's suck the gas.

I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been said before. Spend the money you have now and save a couple months for UCA's.

Products Discussed in

To Top