LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rearview mirror bracket bond to windshield failed..

Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
chaosbound is on a distinguished road

chaosbound's Tacoma Gallery
rearview mirror bracket bond to windshield failed..

Does anyone out there have experience with repairing the "glue" that bonds the rearview mirror bracket to the windshield? The glue on my 2013 failed today and I'm not sure how to repair it.

This windshield is a replacement after the OE cracked in a snowstorm. I've got the I'mMrYo mirror relocate bracket installed as well. I don't want to point any blame at I'mMrYo or his very well designed bracket. I believe the failure is with the quality of the replacement windshield mirror glue. It's been several months since I installed the mirror relocate bracket, and today was the first warm sunny day since the install.

So, what's the best product to fix it? Was it difficult to do?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I'd let the windshield replacement co. know that their glue on the bracket failed.... That's their problem, not yours, IMHO.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

I thought about taking it back to the repair shop, but my thought is that they aren't liable to honor the repair since the mirror has been altered.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
tacotacoburrito is on a distinguished road
tacotacoburrito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbound View Post
I thought about taking it back to the repair shop, but my thought is that they aren't liable to honor the repair since the mirror has been altered.
They just need to glue it back on, or you can get the glue yourself. It's not hard, nor is it expensive.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
You and I both know the aftermarket mirror bracket did not cause the glue failure ( I have one too ).

To play it safe and keep them from making excuses, remove the new bracket and have them properly clean the stub and glue it on and mount just the mirror only. Then go home and add your bracket. You're not trying to pull a fast one on them, you're only eliminating the opportunity for them to say "the mirror is too heavy now" or "that's not OEM", blah blah.

A word of caution... They NEED to mount the stub pretty much in the original spot, otherwise the I'mMrYo's bracket could be too close to the headliner. Yes, that problem has happened and was mentioned in the bracket thread.

... Or just do it yourself.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

I totally agree File, no way the sweet mirror relocate bracket was at fault - I'm going to do it myself, just need to figure out the best possible glue and method to make sure it never comes off again!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
I've been witness to those glues you can buy at VatoZone or Pep Boys not working worth a shit. We have a large fleet that these windshield buttons mysteriously fail, probably from ham fisters adjusting them.

The fleet guy has used different kits and they all suck, either that or he does.

Take it back, I'm positive the windshield guys deal with putting these things on all the time.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
mikesfarm is on a distinguished road
mikesfarm's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Marine Goop on many vehicle rear view mirrors to reattach them. Not one ever fell off again.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold1of7627 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Mark
1of7627's Tacoma Gallery
Permatex makes a mirror bracket glue too that I've used and have had good results with.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
BKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBKill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
BKill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of7627 View Post
Permatex makes a mirror bracket glue too that I've used and have had good results with.
Yeah, what he said. Make sure to remove all the old glue from bracket and windshield. Been a while since I've done one, but let bracket cure at least the recommended time before attaching the mirror.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Willie B is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET comm
Name: Brad
Willie B's Tacoma Gallery
If you still have some glue that marks the spot you might want to use a marker to mark the location on the outside before you clean the glue off the inside.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 AM   #12
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is on a distinguished road

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Get off all the old glue and clean everything with rubbing alcohol. It's the surface that you're gluing to more than what brand mirror adhesive you use that determines if the bond will last.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #13
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT View Post
Get off all the old glue and clean everything with rubbing alcohol. It's the surface that you're gluing to more than what brand mirror adhesive you use that determines if the bond will last.

and make sure you don't touch it with your fingers
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #14

well, that was pretty easy! I probably went overboard on masking my dashboard, but I did NOT want a glue disaster on my dash. I used the Permatex kit and was careful to clean everything properly. Still glad I asked ya'll for advice though, because I had no idea about Permatex or Marine Goop.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #15
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
I just used gorilla glue. It's still holding after 2 years