Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Add e-Locker 2nd Gen. SR5

Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
wardjj is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
wardjj's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Add e-Locker 2nd Gen. SR5

2012 SR5, 4x4, LB, 36kmi- This is probably a dumb question, I have searched for the answer but I can't find it. Can I buy an e-locker for my 2012 SR5? I gather it is an 8.4 diff. from what I read.
I know everyone says to use the ARB, but the local guy did not want to go that way. An E-locker would probably be better for my use. Maybe I should just call East Coast.
A second question would be, should I put it in the front since I have LSD in back? I guess that I have not looked for an e-locker for the front.
Appreciate the input.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
elocker is an 8" ring gear and you'll need to transfer the entire axle housing and not just the 3rd. If you want to put the elocker in the front, you'll need a solid front axle. There's no elocker option for the IFS clamshell diff.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
wildcats is on a distinguished road
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
^ agreed. Plus the 8.4" rear end is stronger than the 8" especially if you were to swap to a arb or detroit locker. The only real locker option for the front would be an arb. Also 2012's don't have a mechanical lsd in the rear, only a brake based limited slip.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you are going to get a locker, I would put it in the back. You may also want to look into the Yukon Zip locker for an air operated locker.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

wardjj's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I got the impression that e-lockers were available for the T-100 which has the 8.4( I think), so I was thinking that might work in the SR5, but I have not seen anyone say that. Thanks you guys. Yukon or Arb for rear... is the solution then. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardjj View Post
I guess I got the impression that e-lockers were available for the T-100 which has the 8.4( I think), so I was thinking that might work in the SR5, but I have not seen anyone say that. Thanks you guys. Yukon or Arb for rear... is the solution then. Thanks a lot.
I'm almost positive the only elocker you can get for a toyota rear axle comes in the 8".

Also, here's the difference in the axle housings between an non-elocker (top) and elocker (bottom)

Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Wheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWheelspinner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Wheelspinner's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure eaton makes a e locker for the 8.4 rear.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspinner View Post
Pretty sure eaton makes a e locker for the 8.4 rear.
They don't.

OP, you can either find an entire axle housing from an Offroad package and swap it over, wire it up, etc. Or you can buy an arb locker and compressor and set that up (if you need something that is open/locked when you want it.) There is also options of non-selectable lockers you can go with. All of this would be for the rear. I don't know why your local guy didn't want to go ARB, unless he doesn't think he can set it u.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

wardjj's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen Rear Locker

Jasmine- My guy said he had done a lot of lockers; usually Eaton or Detroit but, thought the air line itself was not as reliable. He is a reputable guy. I am in MN so, the cold might play a role. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Cant you do some grinding on the 8.4 and get the elocker to fit?