1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting discouraged- 5100's and 285/70-17 stock TRD Sport wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trdchic, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    Jareds Toyota

Jareds Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport
    You will probably need to trim some of the plastic in front and behind the tires. But that is typical for anyone running 285s. I'd go spacers front and rear IMO, might look funny just in the front

2. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    What kind of AAL did you add? Do you haul a lot of weight in your bed?

I don't haul a lot of weight in my bed, but my leafs are sagging from being 9 years old. Obviously, best case scenario would be a set of Dakars, but price is a limiting factor...

3. Mar 25, 2014 at 2:52 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I am curious why there are so many people saying the rub will be on the upper A arm. I assume this is with stock upper arms, TRD 17" sport wheels. Where is the axtual point of rubbing? The tire rubbing the A arm.

My truck is a 2010 TRD Sport. I run stock rims. I run Sydertrax spacers. The suspension is ICON at stock travel up front, but preloaded to level the truck. Also, I have Camburg ball joint style upper A arms. My tires mounted on oem TRD Sport wheels are 265/70-17's. The point of contact is when turning the outside tread of the tire rubs very slightly on the bottom corner of the oem fender flare. Mudflaps are removed.

As for the rear springs, pretty typical. I do have the four leaf rear TSB springs installed. In waiting to be built, a set of oem three leaf springs that will be built up using springs from an ameican truck as shown in the suspension forum here.

So to the OP, with the tires you have, with or without spacers, I would suspect you will have serious rubbing on the fenders long before you hit the A arm, if the A arm even makes contact.

Have you considered maybe a set of spindles and rear springs (plus longer rear shocks or extenders) alone for now. This may solve many problems for clearance. Then you can buy front shocks or a full set of shocks if you just used the extenders later.

With tires that large, and close to stock suspension, you might need to remove the sheetmetal as explained in a cab chop or whatever they call it for clearance. The spindles may not require it.

PK

4. Mar 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    When I had my 275/70r/17's on my stock Sport wheels, there was like 1/4" between the inside of the tire and the upper control arm. Never was a problem, but no wider of a tire was going to fit on my truck. No lift then, no spacers either.

5. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    CCPTacoma

CCPTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Boise, ID.
    Vehicle:
    09 Trd Sport DCLB
    Your tires are 20mm less wide than the OP's and you are also running spidertrax so your wheels and tires will be much farther from the uca naturally.

Edit: and you arnt running stock uca's either

I had a toytec 2 in aal, it was fine for a few months then just sagged again, I keep 250 pounds in the bed at all times but i haul mulch and random crap every now and again.

6. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    That doesn't seem like much weight to me. I have tools and supplies in the bed at all times - maybe not 250 pounds worth, but maybe 100. That isn't promising news.

7. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    ^ what he said. no reason to even run spacers with 265/70R17's with stock UCA. May rub at full lock but otherwise fine.

The rim would be fine as the BS is still the same but the wider "tire" would rub on the stock UCA with a 285

8. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Like others have stated, you will need 1.25" wheel spacers to avoid rubbing the UCA's up front along with some front plastic trimming. You will need to crank the Billies to 2.5" setting for that tire size. I would recommend looking into the Wheeler's HD 3 leaf pack,especially if you plan on hauling a quad and the least expensive rear option($149).
    Keep in mind front Billies set at 2.5", rear HD ad a leaf, and along with M/T's will give you a stiff ride but probably the cheapest option for your application. Make sure the spacers you buy are hub centric and not lug centric.

Wheeler's Add A Leaf Kit 1.5″ Lift 3 Leaf Progressive, Heavy Duty Version

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  9. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I just replaced my leaf springs (with Dakars) over the weekend and I only had 26,000 miles on my truck and they looked like that if not worse. I have a 2012 so I even had the TSB leafs and have only taken it offroad 2-3 times and never have towed anything.

get some 885s OME coils so you don't have to crank the billies to such a high setting resulting in a rough/bumpy jarring ride. The 885s will lift the truck so that you can have the billes set lower which is less preload and results in a smoother ride.

you will def need spacers cause the guy helping me had the same size tires and stock trd sport wheels and he needed them/had them.

Good luck.

10. Mar 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    trdchic

trdchic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    07, TRD Sport, 4x4, SR5, V6, Access Cab
    Truck mods are fun :)

Products Discussed in

To Top