1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baby On The Way. Sell Truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BudMan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    BudMan

BudMan [OP] knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Well, I have looked at Craigslist a bit and seen quite a few for more than that. KBB (not the best I know) puts dealer trade in at 21k, and private party at 23.5. I am pretty low mileage at 61k. I know it's only worth what people will pay, but I think I could get more than 17.

2. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    OK, that would help and I didn't know that the mileage was that low. :) (BUT - don't forget when you look at craigslist - don't count the "dealer" ads. Dealers, as you know, can charge a lot more because they've got a lot where buyers can browse, they sell shiny perfectly detailed trucks, AND most importantly, they offer financing to their buyers.)

So the modified bjmoose advice is this:

IF you can somehow sell it for what you owe on it - take the money, pay off the loan and don't look back. :cool::cool: (You should also look into whether your loan is assumable and someone could buy the truck on a "take over payments" basis!)

But don't be at all surprised if the cards don't fall out that way, you don't get much interest, and collect nothing but "low ball" offers. :rolleyes::mad:

In that second case my original advice stands - stop modding the truck, watch your other expenditures, and figure out how to pay down your debt as quickly as possible. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  3. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    PS: - if you do try and sell it - both when you photograph it and when you show it make sure it's perfectly, spotlessly, immaculately clean, polished, waxed and spotless inside and out.

4. Mar 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    Hey OP,

Almost the same situation as you man. I bought a brand new 13 tacoma a few months before my daughter was born. Started getting nervous bc it's true babies are expensive and was wondering what I should do.

She's 6 months now and I still have the truck and it works out pretty well since it's a dclb. I made it work just had to cut back on all my expensive treats. Everytime right now I have the money to do a mod I stop and think instead of what our family could do with it or what I can buy for her instead.

I have enough money to lift, new wheels/tires and nfab steps, but I would rather use it on the kiddo.

I'm sure you and the wife will sit down and have gone over all the scenarios and what you would do and how you would cut back in each one. Whatever route you go though that kid will change your life man for the better.

If you do decide to keep the truck. Stay on Tacoma world like me and just look at other mods and plan for the distant future or do really cheap mods if you can afford it.

But don't worry about getting bit by the mod bug if you do decide to keep your Tacoma. I've been bit 100's of times since the baby was born, but she's my antidote and I make more responsible decisions when it comes to modding money or baby money.

You'll be fine and I'm sure you'll be a hell of a dad man.

Keep us posted.

5. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    BudMan

BudMan [OP] knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Thanks man, I appreciate the response! I'm definitely on hold with the mods for a (long) while. After we worked out our budgets including the impending cost of his healthcare, there is plenty of room to trim it down. I'll be keeping the truck as long as I can, with no current plans to sell. Maybe just reevaluate the budget every once in awhile.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure you're a hell of a dad yourself :cheers:

6. Mar 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Keep in mind that any time you are in debt you are a slave to the lender. Many times I hear people ask for advice when what they really want is someone to confirm what they have already pretty much decided. I will assume that this is not you and offer you some advice.

I have a rule I have lived by and it has been very kind to me. No credit and learn the difference between wants and needs. That may sound too simplistic, but you would be surprised how many people call wants, needs to justify their desires.

A need is what it takes to keep you alive today. A want is everything else. So when you make choices learn to put them in the right category and do not lie to yourself. That is not to say that you cannot have wants, just do not lie about them and call them needs.

You are the man of the house so you need to be making the choices for the family and they need to be choices that are wise and responsible so that you do not put your family in a way where they could be financially at risk if something bad happens.

So as I said get rid of all outstanding debts. If you do not have one start a retirement plan that you will not touch until retirement. I do not know how old you are but most likely you will need close to a half million dollars minimum for retirement. If in your early 20's a minimum of 10% of your gross should be going in that direction. You also should have an emergency fund where you can live off of for a minimum of 6 months should you lose your jobs, have an accident and cannot work, or have some serious unexpected expense. In todays environment a years worth would be better.

Once you have done that you will see better what to do about the coming extra expenses. Again, get out of debt, have a retirement plan with at least 10% of your gross wage going into it and have a emergency saving account equal to a minimum of 6 months of living expenses. As for a home save, pay cash and start small. Do not forfeit the future for the immediate. God bless :)

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    My 2011 tacoma is now paid off so why would I do that?

Selling my truck back in the day and getting a practical vehicle for the family (my wife and first child at the time) was a decision I am proud of. Aside from having a smaller payment, the monthly expense in gas went down which helped.

Products Discussed in

To Top