1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold air intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BigDadi26, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mar 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5

Bully dog, is really the only thing thats going to give you better mpg.

Throttle body spacer is just a paper weight. I dont know why people still think they work.

Is your fuel injected into your throttlebody??? No?? then the spacer wont work. Those spacers work on Carb'd motors not fuel injected. You're doing nothing but pissing away money. Tell you what, send me the money for it, and I'll send you a piece of paper saying you now make more power and better fuel. Atleast through me you'll have paper to look at to make you feel good.

i'll even draw a dragon on it so its more badass for you

2. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    It's threads like that that get people saying, "CAI no way, but snorkel hell yeah one guy reported big gains" because there are fewer guys with snorkels to call BS.

Same principal applies, doesn't matter if you snorkel is RAM-AIR if you throttle plate is almost closed, to restrict your speed.

3. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I did two group buys many years ago and we had at least 50 guys buy them. Since then hundreds have been bought and installed.

Feel free to ask any of them....it's not like you can't tell who they are :D

Snorkels function.

Replacing the stock CAI with a "fancy new" CAI that you can't drive in the rain with is plain retarded IMO.

Any Australian offroad forum will also back it up. Just because mericans are tarded doesn't mean snorkels are.

4. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nothing wrong with snorkels, they just don't increase MPG, the topic.

5. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    any proof for this?

6. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

so for five years I have been calculating my MPG incorrectly?

7. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    its not like I would expect a huge increase from a snorkel, but 1 or 2 mpg is plausible, and from my personal records it does show to help a little. Getting a snorkel just for mpgs is a little off, but if it is a small side benefit :D

8. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nope, but likely your pre-snorkel baseline isn't solid. Show us the data.

Why would it increase MPG?

9. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    From the thread you linked, 2 guys say no gain, I believe them.

10. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    Ive had the AFE CAI w/dry filter on mine for about 2 yrs and 30000 miles. I really like it. The problem with it is that if you're like me, the mpg increase will be washed out by putting your foot in it all the time because it performs better. Also, I've heard of people using throttle body spacers, but I've never heard of one actually doing anything. I wouldn't waste my money on one.

11. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    exactly what I have noted.

you think I put it in a spreadsheet and saved it? LOL. when I get gas I do the math on my phone. I got no time nor care for keeping logs that are a total waste of time. Heck out of the past decade Ive only paid for gas for two of those years.

Without snorkel I was at 13-15. With snorkel I'm 15-16.

Why wouldn't it? It's not like your going to gain a ton in a crappy inefficient 4.0 POS Toyota engine. In my 5.0 I had a ton of gain when I added ram air....again sorry I didn't keep my records from 1999 :D

First off before your form oipinions you need to know the facts.

#1) Craig modified his snorkel from day one and it is not installed like it should be. First thing he did was cut it up and mix it with some crappy plumbing PVC and added bends. He also changed the intake screen to be much more restrictive so not only is his data flawed he shouldn't even be providing an opinion on the topic at all. Notice how you never see any pics of his engine bay in that or any other thread?

#2) Uddy on the other hand I would believe, but it's not like he posted any data either.

If you would like I could PM them both and ask them to comment?

12. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    [​IMG]

LOL...his gas mileage is not improving - I wonder why?

added RTT (sailboat to roof)

added 35" tires

13. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    Skip, are cleaning windows and using snorkels your two pet peeves? You seem to be pretty intense from what I can tell on those topics...

14. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I just hate people who think they know whats going on and have no clue. Craig and I are buddy's and I remember back in the day when he wouldn't even take his truck in the woods. He would park at my house and ride with me. Then he caught the bug and those days were long gone.

Ive installed something like 10 snorkels to members trucks from multiple states and not one has ever told me they got the same MPG.

I go off real world facts not speculation and web surfing.

15. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    That's understandable. All you can do is inform people to the best of your abilities. I don't know if or how a snorkel could improve mpg, but I'm not talking about it either.

16. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I provided facts in the form of a study with precise measurements that conclude correctly that an air filter completely clogged to the point of damaging the intake didn't even reduce mpg in closed loop fuel injected vehicles.

It really is that simple. To control power an engine has a throttle plate that restricts air intake. It also meters fuel with feedback from the exhaust to control fuel. Without control the engine would just want to rev.

When the throttle plate restriction is greater than the air filter's restriction (almost all the time) it doesn't matter what the air filter condition is, or if there is a snorkel.

When the throttle plate restriction is less than the air filter's restriction (full throttle) then the air filter is now in control. But that just means the engine can't take in as much air and so doesn't inject as much fuel. Less power = better MPG.

Add the snorkel which maybe adds a slight positive intake pressure and the throttle plate opens just slightly less to let in the same amount of air you need to move on down the road at the same speed without the snorkel.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I just bought 4" tube for mine so I could increase airflow. UPS says it should be at my door tonight. Used to have 3".

18. Mar 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    If the mpg changes then there's a real good chance the ECU is factoring throttle position into the VVT and/or ignition timing maps.

I remember how incredibly sensitive my V6 was to pedal input mileage-wise, so I could believe that. I could be cruising along at say 40% load getting 26 mpg, and with a slight wind change have to go to 45% and the mpg would drop to something like 17 and stay there. Absolutely ridiculous. With the four banger I can add 20% load and not drop that much. However on the flip side it made the hang time technique extremely effective.

19. Mar 27, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I wouldn't even agree with that on a normally aspirated engine. These things are tuned pretty well from the factory, including injector cutoff under decel.
    They worked on the older TBI systems, but not on direct or port injected.
    Yes and no.
    Runner length and size DO have an impact on intake charge velocity, which has a direct impact on how efficiently the mixture is maintained in the chamber.
    So while a TB spacer is worthless, a manifold spacer is quite effective.
    Tooter makes them for the 2.7. No increase in dyno HP, but the torque curve moved down (which would indicate improved economy as well).

Products Discussed in

To Top