1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold air intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BigDadi26, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    BigDadi26

BigDadi26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Lifted 33's still need to trim the fenders!!!
    i know i know everyone a lot of money not enough gained
    i know
    I'm over it
    i spend over 9 grand a year in fuel so every little bit helps. (i know drive like i have an egg under the pedal, keep it under 2000 rpms, the lift and oversized 33's don't help but humor me in my chase for better mpg)
    I'm starting with cai, throttle body spacer, exhaust, then maybe bully dog after after i see some more reviews
    I've decided aFe
    my question- oiled or Dry?
    Have at it.......

2. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Dry for sure. Also, don't go K&N.

3. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    All of the money you spend on that stuff.... Even if there are gains they are so small that they won't pay for themselves.

4. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    Mops

Mops Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mop
    NW NC
    Loved my AFE one. I noted gains, and the sound was awesome. And AFE does a good product.

5. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    Best thing for fuel economy.... Scan Guage or ultra Guage, that way you are conscious about your fuel economy and can see instant feed back on your driving habits.

Cai might.... Might... Give you a few more hp, and if you had to get one I would go with the URD one, since it is more of a Cai than the others. They won't help with mpg.

6. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    BigDadi26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    i don't think the Cai alone will help with the mpg I'm hoping its part of the whole that will, bully dog has the same options of scan gauge plus some perks also almost three times the price

7. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    Ultra Guage is $60ish and bully dog is what 800 at least? Plus bully dog has very little NA support. I put a snorkel on my truck because of dust and to prevent against hydrolocking. I got a little over 1mpg gain, and I had an ultra Guage to record my 30 mile commute each way. With the snorkel costing 400....it would still take like 4 years to pay for itself. Now add all of those parts you are looking at together, and it will take a looooong time to pay for its self in MPGs, which is assuming you get some measurable gains. It's your truck so you can obviously do what you want, if you like the sound of an intake and exhaust, awesome, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will help much with MPGs.

8. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    BigDadi26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it and not tryin to be a D.
    With the mileage you put on ur truck. It may take you that long. But me if I spend two grand. And get an extra 20 out of the tank. Twenty miles. Out of the 40000 I put on a year. If I can save 20 a tank. I think with my math it's paid for in a year n half. Maybe two. Willing to take that risk. You don't have to agree with me. Nor do I care. It's my truck and my money.
    Besides. I hear the tacomaworld sticker if you put it in the right spot adds an extra five hp.
    That's gotta help.
    Now back to my original question. Not asking brands. I've already chosen aFe. And harassed their tech dept enough. I'm just askin. Oiled or dry. I see one for dry.
    Anyone know the diff? Why why not..

9. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I had a Bully Dog tuner on my Duramax and their customer support was zero. No answered emails or returned phone calls.

10. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    I have a volant CAI w/snorkel and it's oiled. The oil will do a better job at catching the very fine dust, but care must be taken not to over oil it, which will cause a CEL. If it's over oiled some residual oil will get on your MAF sensor. Following the directions while oiling will go a long ways to negate that possibility though.

11. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    BigDadi26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Yeah I have a friend with one in his ford n loves it. But he's a lot more mechanically inclined. No tech support would keep me away. And 800. Makes me weary. Rather due the headers if anything else. Thank you.

And oiled. Over oiling.
    Jetlander "I have a volant CAI w/snorkel and it's oiled. The oil will do a better job at catching the very fine dust, but care must be taken not to over oil it, which will cause a CEL. If it's over oiled some residual oil will get on your MAF sensor. Following the directions while oiling will go a long ways to negate that possibility though."

Makes sense. Do you keep a spare filter oiled ready to go in when you take the one out being used to clean it and re oil? If not what do you do about down time?

12. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    I don't. I pull out the filter, clean it thoroughly, let it air dry/hair dryer, and then LIGHTLY oil it. All together it takes about 2 hours.

13. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM
    BigDadi26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Two hours ain't too bad. I thought the cleanin and oiling would take longer for some reason. Thanks.

14. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
  15. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    BigDadi26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Ny Longisland
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Obviously the hopes of better mpg is how im selling this to myself haha if any gains at all ill post. And if your right and it's all noisemakers. I'll post that too

16. Mar 26, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There won't be.

Every now and then (okay, every week) someone does a simple mod and claims 1/2mpg improvement over one or two tanks, and to respond to that I post:

[​IMG]

Same truck, same driver, same fuel (from the same pump 95 times out of 100), same commute. 1-2mpg swing from week to week.

17. Mar 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    I agree with you..... I was just trying to be nice heh.

18. Mar 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Usually followed by me posting this.

Sorry folks there just isn't any MPG gains to be had with a freer flowing air filter.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy of the newer vehicles (all fuel injected with closed-loop control and one equipped with MDS). The engine control systems were able to maintain the desired AFR regardless of intake restrictions, and therefore fuel consumption was not increased. Closed-loop control in modern fuel injected vehicle applications is sophisticated enough to keep a clogged air filter from affecting the vehicle fuel
    economy.

19. Mar 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    I think OP already made it clear in his prior posts he wasn't going to let reason or data get in the way of his snipehunt mods. Most fall within the same variance Rich showed, you can get some great Tacoma data out of fuelly

20. Mar 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    LOL.... better off getting a snorkel than all that overpriced crap http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pe...gen-ss135mod-1st-gen-ss170hf.html#post2764873

Also I don't care who's filter it is be it AFE or K&N unless you increase the surface area of the filter media the only way a filter can give you "more flow" is by increasing the amount of shit it lets get sucked into your engine.

Take it from a guy with a engine that has silver metallicflake oil after 1,500 miles on Mobil1 DON'T FUCK WITH THE INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top