1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ran over two five gallon buckets on the highway this morning

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BruceDog, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    Ran over a piece of furniture in Charlotte, NC...cleared the front but got caught under the car...couldn't care less it was a rental

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    Smashing

Smashing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochesterish NY
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport
    Back in the early 90's I drove through a dresser the truck in front of me dropped on the highway. 60mph really knows how to splinter a piece of furniture. On a side note - as a kid I had an oooold Bronco that I used to love knocking down construction cones with.:D

3. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    The thread makes me laugh......LOL

My oldest son hit a rusted off back bumper shock absorber that fell off of a junk car in tow.. my son was driving a Camaro. The piece crushed his shifter cable, he then pulled over and shut off the car. Once he did that, and the shifter not being able to hit the neutral safety switch, I had to drive to him with a floor jack, lift the car, disconnect he cable from the transmission, put the shifter in neutral to get it started, then put it in gear from under the car so he could drive it home.

My youngest son rubbed against a Y shaped log on a dirt road in his GMC ZR2, the log turned and one side of the Y wedged between the frame and the CV joint. It took 45 minutes to get it out, he drove 45 minutes to get home, the tie rod snapped off as he turned into his driveway! Broken tie rod, split CV boot, needed a new half shaft.

I used to work with a guy who ran over a bowling ball in a Plymouth Horizon, someone had stolen the ball from an bowling alley and rolled it down the hill. He said it felt like his car lifted up and rolled on a ball bearing, spinning around and thrashing his suspension..LOL..couldn't have happened to a bigger douche.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. Mar 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    'As a kid', we used to find empty half-gallon milk cartons. We'd stomp four of them flat and put them in the street along with one other one we'd put two bricks into...NOT flat...then sit back and watch.
    Human nature is a funny thing.

:D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. Mar 29, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Reminds me of a story from my brother in-law.

His dad when he was a teenager (mid 40's). Got a tractor tire and rolled it down the avenues in SLC, UT. Steep streets. After about a 1/4 mile or so of gathering speed it hit a cab broad side and rolled it. Lucky bastard never got caught.

6. Mar 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I'm glad since that I have owned a truck that I haven't ran anything over, or had to avoid anything. Now, when it comes to small cars that I have owned it's a different story. Either way in a vehicle it's scary none the less.

7. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    jamesrenoallen

jamesrenoallen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB MGM
    a couple of years ago I was driving down the freeway and there was a truck hauling a horse trailer a couple of cars ahead of me. The trailer hit a bump and the door swung open bounced off the median and flew off its hinges. Somehow it missed everyone I front of me and landed right in front of my Ranger I had at the time. I had nowhere to go so I hit it full on destroying both front tires and causing a slow leek in one of the rear tires. I almost lost control but made it to the side of the road just in time to see a line of five or six cars all hit it causing all to pull over as well. A cop pulled in a few minutes later and we got the crumpled mess of the road. He then helped me put my spare on and then gave me his spare and followed me to les Schwabs a few miles away and retrieved his spare. $450 for new tires and I was late to work so I got written up for not calling in. And the bastard with the trailer never stopped and I never heard anything back from the police weather on not they caught him.

8. Mar 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    That sucks , good thing the buckets weren't filled with concrete.
    My friend had a wheel from the other side of the freeway come off a car and bounce over the center divide and land on the hood / windshield/ roof of his f150. He was shaken up but ok. F150 was totaled

9. Mar 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    One time I was hauling a bobcat with a rented tandem axle flat deck and one of the wheels came off coming down a hill and It came up right beside me like out of the movies. Then went across the center line, barely missed some cars and literally exploded against a power pole.

10. Mar 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    I was telling my dad about this thread. He told mea a story about when he was in he 20's he was driving his mothers ( my grandmother ) 1967 olds cutlass at night when he came around a blind corner and hit a engine block in the road he said he tried to brake but the thing had drum brakes. He said he went over it dead center of the car it lifted the car up off the ground and they had to have a wrecker come and lift the car off of it. He said it wiped out the bumper and oil pan but other then that the car was good. They don't make them like that anymore.LOL

11. Mar 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I hit a sizable length of 4"x4" lumber on I94 2 weekends ago. It was right at dusk, changing lanes and didn't see it until it was too late. I hit it with my right front wheel at 70mph. There was a loud bang, truck jumped and it scared the crap out of my kids who were sleeping. As it was dark and I didn't have any vibrations or idiot lights, I didn't stop and check until I got home...an hour later.

There was absolutely zero damage. The only thing I could find was on the front crossmember, the LCA bumpstop hit with enough force to emboss the lettering onto the crossmember.

I had the truck for 10 days when that happened. Had I been driving anything else, the damage would have been major.

20140323_120828_zps5be68d0d_039909560cc50e2feea075797328a7cadb6d722f.jpg

12. Mar 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    yf19

yf19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    1998 ExtraCab Limited V6
    Icon coil overs, Camburg UCA, 1" body lift, lots of trimming, Scion XB seats with Wet Okle covers, Alpine Head unit and amps with RF subs and Polk Momo in doors, and much more.
    I ran over a 5 gallon bucket too when my truck was new. It had some kind of industrial type green paint in it and totally smeared the left side of the truck. I didn't see the paint so I kept on going. Got to my destination and got out... SOMEBITCH WTF!! New truck too. It was a bitch to get out. 16 years later I still have a little green splatter left on the flares. I always think of that when I see it.

Products Discussed in

To Top