Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mythbusters Revisited

Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
socko3161 is on a distinguished road

socko3161's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to socko3161
Mythbusters Revisited

So I was watching mythbusters the other day and they revisited the myth about how to get better gas mileage on a Pick up, so they tapped into the fuel line to see exactly how to much gas was going to the engine. I saw the episode before when they drove around with the tail gate up or down and found that the mileage was better with the tailgate up... well on this "Revisit" episode, they drove around with the tail gate up, with a hard cover ( the flat style, not a cap), with the tail gate down and with the tail gate removed, and then they drove around with no tail gate but installed a mesh net across the where the tail gate would go and they found that the mesh actually gave them the best MPG, just thought this was interesting...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Light-tower is on a distinguished road

Light-tower's Tacoma Gallery
would of like to of seen that episode
Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
And I'm still going to say that it is truck dependent! All trucks have different aerodynamic qualities. What may be true for the Tacoma could be completely BS for the Tundra. Look at the difference in bed depth between the two. That will likely effect the results, as will the bed length. There are just too many variables .
Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
And I'm still going to say that it is truck dependent! All trucks have different aerodynamic qualities. What may be true for the Tacoma could be completely BS for the Tundra. Look at the difference in bed depth between the two. That will likely effect the results, as will the bed length. There are just too many variables .
I agree completely. There are even differences between the AccessCab, DoubleCab, Long bed, and short bed when it comes to aerodynamics.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Put on a cap (shell) that gives the best milage. It makes the truck one unit.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Swanner View Post
Put on a cap (shell) that gives the best milage. It makes the truck one unit.
Actually, it is even worse. You are creating a large low pressure area behind the truck. So you have high pressure in front pushing you back and low pressure behind pulling you back. Ideally, you would have a smooth contour from the front to back.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
what if you have a tool box how much does that hurt your mpg
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
what if you have a tool box how much does that hurt
I don't know, are you dropping it on your toes or slamming your fingers in it?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I love the look of a camper top on the long bed but i dont know how it would look on my shortbed. my ideal look for my truck is pb2themax's truck. How much did that shell cost if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, I do ming you asking.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Actually, I do ming you asking.
MING?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
MING?
I am going to show my age here, but wasn't he the bad guy from Flash Gordon?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division
GMG3 is on a distinguished road

Army:
GMG3's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
I am going to show my age here, but wasn't he the bad guy from Flash Gordon?
Oh good. You be the old guy. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Is this one of those times that I go and edit my prior post?

I meant to say mind.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a Leer 100R, it has flip-down slider, screened full sliding windows, headliner, Factory paint match and a 12volt light. Tax, installation and everything was $1400.-Rich
Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Damn thats pricey, but it looks great. I'd love one for my truck but i just dont want to spend that kind of money on just one thing.