1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to: AC outlet in cab + 400 Watt Anytime Mod 2nd gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adriancast, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    adriancast

adriancast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    How to: AC outlet in cab

I wanted to make this how to thread because I think a lot of people would do this, but there wasn't a write up with good pictures for people like me that need them.

Started off with this single outlet from home depot. I also picked this outlet because the two screws will defiantly make sure it's not loose after the install.

[​IMG]

Another outlet option (thanks BrettBretterson) : http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9716&keywords=snap in

[​IMG]

Bullet splice from Radio Shack and T-Taps (not pictured yet)

[​IMG]

Start off by taking off the 2 bolts and 2 screws in order to remove the center console.
    I would recommend removing driver seat so it will be easier to get around everything. I didn't, but wish i did.

[​IMG]

Then you will see the power converter.

[​IMG]

You will only be messing with these two wires. lime green and red with white trace.
    Make sure you have plenty of space in there; it will get tight.

Green wire: hot
    Red wire: neutral

[​IMG]

Then you're going to want to strip out a piece like this for the t-taps in order to get a solid connection.
    Take your time stripping the piece out, i accidently cut the wire the first time and had to repair.

[​IMG]

Then I cut a little section off in order for the male end to go into the t-taps.

[​IMG]

How it will look after you put the t-taps.

[​IMG]

I used the two bottom holes for power connection. (one on each side)

[​IMG]

This is the back of the panel. NOTICE THE COLOR OF THE LETTERING TO SHOW YOU WHICH IS HOT AND WHICH IS NEUTRAL.

[​IMG]

That is pretty much it. Dont forget to ground. there is a spot right by the power inverter to ground. Just make sure your wires are long enough to reach. then put everything back together and enjoy.!
    Also, I purchased the two nuts to hold the screws. They did not come with outlet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not going to be using it for a night light. haha just to show you it works.

[​IMG]

If anyone has more outlet options feel free to post and I'll add to the original post so people don't have to be searching for it.

Member installations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5A7F549F-C891-4D34-B901-FE7FD921B8B6.jpg

D6FB258F-9D59-41E8-9521-EC40B1A14BBC.jpg

6FA0B70F-8DAB-4E52-9F26-317DB9CA77F0.jpg

Lastly, if you do this mod, feel free to add pictures to give other people ideas and hints on what outlet you used and where you put it. Thanks. If you upload from tacomaworld, I will add that picture to the original post so ppl don't have to flip through the pages.

400 WATT ANYTIME

Find the connector that connects to the inverter.

[​IMG]

Violet with white stripe. (Cut and cap off both ends)

[​IMG]

Manual Transmission only. blue with black stripe (cut and cap the clutch wires)

Solid violet wire. (cut and cap off the side that is not connected to the inverter) then the other end, extend and connect it to a ground.

[​IMG]

Thats pretty much it. Pretty simple. Make sure it works. Turn your truck on, put it in drive, push the power switch and the 400 watt should stay on if you did it correctly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Schlomy, SR-71A, SteveZee and 26 others like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    Neat, I always wondered where they put that power converter.
    Thanks

3. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    Me too haha. I didn't exactly know where until I pulled the console apart two days ago.

4. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    thanks. i've been wanting to do this forever, but the threads i saw were crappy quality pics and never had the confidence to do it. two days ago i just said f it and came out good.

5. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Subd' and going on my mod list! - Thanks for writing this up Adrian, nice work!

6. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    thanks, i figured a lot of ppl would like to do this, so thought i give it a shot.

7. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    Sub'd! doing this for the weekend!!!

Thanks a lot!

8. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    you're welcome. Post some pics when you're done.

9. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Curious what you're going to be using the plug for? Cool none the less.

What did you use to drill out the hole in the trim? A hole punch or step-bit would do a good job with some filing afterwards. -your resident electrician.

10. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Just for a phone charger. Mostly for if I have back passengers and they charge their phone. I used a drill bit (do not recommend) took me a while but it did the job.

11. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    SoutheastTaco

SoutheastTaco Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    columbia sc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport dc 4x4
    rear spring tsb, 255/75/17 bfg muds
    Glade plug in FTW...

reallifedog, Chimpo, Key-Rei and 3 others like this.
  12. Mar 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Haha that's a good idea.

13. Mar 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Silence9

Silence9 Solve et Coagula

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    If you take the Glade out in the winter! I put one of those great smelling moist fresheners in my truck, forgot to take it out one night in the winter, cupholders were caked in Red gunk...

14. Mar 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Thanks. Looks like an easy mod.

Can you also mod it to be able to run 400w while in gear and driving?

15. Mar 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea. They have nasty liquid.

16. Mar 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I don't think so. It's usually 400 watts when truck is off and 100 watts running.

17. Mar 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    rademan11

rademan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    4X4 trd off road
    Ranch Topper, Bull Bar.....Yes, I know everyone thinks they are crap, I like the look
    This is one modification I'm actually going to consider........
    Excellent how to thread and well thought out.
    Thanks.

18. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    rademan11

rademan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    4X4 trd off road
    Ranch Topper, Bull Bar.....Yes, I know everyone thinks they are crap, I like the look
    Another idea might be to cut off the female end of an extension cord leaving a few feet of cord on it. Use it instead of the receptacle. The cord could be rolled up under seat when not it use.....

big_jarv and 02Duck like this.
  19. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I like this because it's a lot cleaner. Nice and neat.

20. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Here you go: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...284662-110v-factory-inverter-always-400w.html

And the plugs I used in mine: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=9716 (http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9716&keywords=snap in)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    jdrew97030 likes this.
To Top