1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration from new centerforce clutch?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BCephus, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    BCephus

BCephus [OP] Alright then

Member:
    First Name:
    Slingblade
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DCabSB 6 speed OME'd
    OME 886/dakar heavy, ARB bumper, 9.5XP warn, PDM tranquil kit, custom bullet hole tailgate anti theft kit, Camburg ball joint UCAs, Centerforce II clutch, FJ cruiser TRD wheels (black) with 285/75/16 Ds (white letters out, (Duh))
    I just had a Centerforce II installed, along with the PDM tranquil kit. The flywheel was resurfaced prior to clutch installation. I now have a vibration that was not there before. Just off idle, the batteries in both my mag lights start vibrating. I can see the TOB quivering through the inspection port. When I cut the truck off, a shudder goes through the whole truck. Vibe is when sitting still, clutch in or out make no difference. When I came down from speed last night, it was much worse. Cut it off and restarted and it was better.

Installer was nice enough to take pic of PDM sleeve installed.

[​IMG]
    Clutch ACTION is like butter, though.

Centerforce PP and disc both have AISIN stamped on them. Kinda wish I had just used AISIN to begin with. Would have paid for the PDM kit.

[​IMG]

Installer pointed at the clutch weights as the possible culprit. Centerforce had no comment or opinion as to what would cause it. No real surprise there.

Wanted some input before I GO OFF :quickdraw: on someone for my new $1300 back massager. I AM KIDDING ABOUT THE ":quickdraw:" BY THE WAY!

Anyone had this happen? 2nd gen/4.0 liter/6 speed

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:50 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    The only thing that you changed was the clutch correct ?
    I am going with an improperly balanced clutch

3. Mar 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    BCephus

Member:
    First Name:
    Slingblade
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DCabSB 6 speed OME'd
    OME 886/dakar heavy, ARB bumper, 9.5XP warn, PDM tranquil kit, custom bullet hole tailgate anti theft kit, Camburg ball joint UCAs, Centerforce II clutch, FJ cruiser TRD wheels (black) with 285/75/16 Ds (white letters out, (Duh))
    Yes, clutch PP and disc only. I did have the flywheel turned, so that is a variable. I am going to see if summit will take my centerforce back and if so order an Aisin clutch ($330) from rockauto. I don't want the vib making my rear main seal leak(possible?), or ruin my new $225 throwout bearing kit. Vib is not horrible but for a 550 dollar clutch, 530 labor/flywheel and 225 TOB kit, it needs to be perfect.
    I seriously doubt PDM kit could cause anything. Nice looking pieces.

4. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    mrbadwrench

mrbadwrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    2014 GMC Sierra 4x4, 1988 Mitsubishi J53
    Performance clutches are often much harsher than stock. They often rattle and or transmit gear noise/gear chatter through the driveline and can make a hell of a racket.

When I replaced my stock clutch with an LCE Pro unit, everything got much noisier. Lots of gear rattle and vibration while engine braking mostly.

Are you sure something is wrong?

5. Mar 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    BCephus

Member:
    First Name:
    Slingblade
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DCabSB 6 speed OME'd
    No not really. I just think that the rotating mass should be perfectly balanced for a daggone $550 clutch. Other than the vibe, it is a real improvement in engagement. Most of the improvement is probably from the tranquil kit more so than the clutch disc/pp itself. My TOB has been squealing for about 30k miles on and off. 95k on it now. Didn't need a clutch, but a guy posted a pic of an FJ with the transmission quill snapped off at 160k when TOB seized up....
    It does have some neutral rattle, but that's cool. Still taking it easy on it. Centerforce says 500 miles for break in. Oddly enough, the vibes seem to change each time I drive it. Maybe it is the weights not coming to rest in the same place each time....I admit I have a little vib OCD anyway from the lift, tires etc.

6. Sep 10, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    Any update? Is this kind of vibration common problem in Centerforce clutch?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top