1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to find totaled tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SPCL, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 29, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    SPCL

SPCL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2020 2.7L 4x4 AC
    So some of you might remember about seven months ago I got in a really horrid accident and totaled my lovely truck. I haven't really been in a position to do much else financially (I totaled the jeep I got two months later, driving a minivan now) since then, but I'm in a place now where I might be able to buy some or all of it back... if I can find it.

Question: What happens to totaled vehicles? Is there a way I can track it now? I've still got the VIN, but putting that in to car-parts.com doesn't really help. Would CarFax show where it's at so I can try and track it down from there? OR is it a cube bound for China?

Thanks!

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you don't buy it back at the time of the accident, you're SOL.

Here in Pa..... totaled trucks go right to the junkyards and are sold as parts.

In PA - when a vehicle is totaled, its given a salvage title. When it has a salvage title, it goes to the junkyards. It takes a shit-ton of work to convert a salvage title to a 'reconstructed' title - which allows you to legally register / insurance it to drive on the roads. Insurance companies are not gonna spend the time or effort to convert to reconstructed titles (and they've never go to auction).

3. Mar 29, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    It's most likely sitting in a salvage yard being parted out.

4. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    slo13zx3

slo13zx3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    forest city pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd off 6speed nav
    Here in pa most cars and trucks that are totaled go to copart to be sold look on copart

5. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    roundhouse

roundhouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCLB 4X4
    Firestone Ride-Rites, Leer 180 cap, custom box anchors
    After I totalled mine in January I stalked it by finding the copart auction until it was auctioned about 2 months later. I watched the online bidding and toyed with the idea of bidding myself. However, I had already replaced it with a 2013 so I didn't have enough time or money jump in once things got serious. The online prebidding got up to $7200 before any live on site bidding (that I wasn't privy to). If the front end and driver door were fixed it wouldn't take too much to put it back on the road, although I don't know enough about seat belt and side curtain air bag replacement to know the expense there.

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfin...U_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_MINNEAPOLIS_NORTH_MN/

Out of curiousity I search now and then to see if it goes back for sale after a rebuild. As for your truck, I'd say you're too late if it's been that many months.

P.S. I followed the truck by simply Googling the VIN number

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. Mar 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    SALVAGE titles?

Wow, I'd be careful purchasing anything with a salvage title (in PA anyway) unless it was an absolute steal.

7. Mar 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    slo13zx3

slo13zx3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    forest city pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd off 6speed nav
    well you have to know what you are doing. my friend has a 13 jeep 4 door with the hard top, that was in a ''flood'' hurricane sandy the jeep never had water in it difs trans nothing got the jeep with 700ish miles for 16k.sticker was 38 and in the glove box go take a look at copart you can buy a bike a atv big truck boat bus dirtbike hotrod

Products Discussed in

To Top