1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Used 2012 with 74000 miles?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CGC1200, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The picture showing wear is the rear driver's door.
    Likely had a child or pup back there.

Front door:

[​IMG]

Back door:

[​IMG]

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    When it comes to used vehicles. We are only going to be really guessing in what the owner did with the vehicle previously before you looked at it. I am really knit picky though about the little things. It's always good to go and get an inspection as well if you find a vehicle that you do like. I would be wondering why it's priced low for a truck that is only a year or so old?

I had a landlord long ago tell me. "You can tell by how a person is by how clean their vehicle is. You can tell how a person treats their stuff in how they are going to treat your stuff." It's something that has always stuck with me. It holds true because I know people who's car is messy, never clean. The exterior has been washed 4 times in it's whole life. And the maintenance is done whenever the owners get around to it. When you have owners who keep the car clean, do their maintenance, change things when they need to be changed, keep records etc. You can usually be pretty safe to say that it would be a good buy. In this case it's hard to say since that it's only pictures. Just by the low price and the engine alone I would say "no." Even though it's 10k of miles, they could be really hard miles.

3. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya... I'm happy with my 2.7 and it gets great mileage, but it's a regular cab 5-lug.

I think a DC Prerunner, you're going to be wishing you had gone with the 4.0

4. Mar 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    +1

And when buying a used vehicle private party, don't look at the spotless vehicle that's for sale... look at their other vehicles, their garage, the condition of their home and yard, and how their kids are dressed.

5. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    CGC1200

CGC1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm kind in the doghouse since I told him the subject vehicle (2012-74,000miles) was not the truck for us so now he said he's given up on his search (we've only been looking for a few weeks) and he doesn't know what "kind of vehicle" will "satisfy" me depsite this will be a truck for him. We obvi dont see eye to eye on the whole "no maintenance record" being an issue.

Have checked out Toyota's used inventory online, Kbb listings, autotrader, and craigslist. We have seen about 6 trucks in person and funny, my husband was ready to buy about half of them (and i of course, was the killjoy and said no.) The first vehicle, I told him to walk away because it was his first car he looked at, the 2nd car, the dealer was a wholesale dealer and seemed shady and although was priced fair, automatically added a $1000 seller's fee that was not advertised and they also said off the bat, no negotitaion, and would not let you test drive the truck without a credit check, so I told him to walk away, and now this third one with the high miles and no service records so he's frustrated with me.

So I'm really determined to find my husband his truck:

Prefer:
    -2010+ (open to 2009 if it met all criteria)
    -decent mileage, <50K Miles or so, so some warranty is still left
    -Crew Cab
    -V6
    -Gray (open to black, white, silver)
    -$20-23K (before TTL)
    -Long Bed

Would be nice:
    -TRD + Towing package (just not the base model--something about him not liking the side mirros paint matching the rest of the car versus basic black trim)

Any suggestions what else to do. Just wait and check periodically? Look at other makes?? Just seems Tacos are in high demand around here! The perfect one is out there right?!?!?

6. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I would not hesitate to buy any CPO from a Toyota dealer unless something is obviously an issue in the history.
    I would NEVER buy a used vehicle from a "used car lot"... they are "counterfeiters" and will jack together a POS to get it running long enough to get it off the lot.
    Half of the stuff in the chemical/additive area of an auto parts store is aimed at what they do to move vehicles.

I really don't think the '12 from Simi is that bad. Definitely not a bad truck, if you could get the price down so that $23k includes tax and license so it's $23k out the door, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

7. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    CGC1200

CGC1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    I agree. If we could have gotten it down to say 21, I would have thought it would be a better deal. But they said they couldn't even take off $100 dollars because it's been so discounted, so we got up to leave and they let us go. And then that was a long car ride home lol

8. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    akhermit

akhermit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic TRD Offroad
    Dang, I have poor eyesight. Yes, a dog most likely.

9. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    CGC1200

CGC1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    I missed it too and I think my husvand over looked it as well :)

10. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Hows the decision coming along? I cant help but notice what looks to be a good size dent in the right side of the rear bumper. Has anybody else noticed it or is it just me?

Also i got mine used with 53k miles and have no regrets on it yet. Ive only had it for 6 months though. Also got it from a toyota dealership. They def seem to hold their value and price them higher than other used cars.

11. Mar 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    I have all the service records for my 2012, but it only has 8000 miles.

12. Mar 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Honestly 74k is way too many miles for a truck that is 2.5 years old... also, if they are selling it at blue book value thats WAY too much money. That black 2012 with 10k miles is nice... but its only 4 cylinder.. in the second heaviest tacoma body that is made.... it probably wont even get out out of its own way.... good truck just gonna be very slow.. :/

13. Mar 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    OP , what is your budget?? Im sure you could put together a brand new tacoma if u were almost willing to pay blue book value for a 2 year old used tacoma

14. Mar 31, 2014 at 3:09 AM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    Good catch! I didn't notice that dent on the right side of the bumper. It is always smart to walk away and review the pros and cons of purchasing a particular vehicle. If you decide to return, take another relative or friend along with you to look over the vehicle with no emotional connection. Dealerships and sales people are designed and trained to prey on your emotions. After all, emotions drive 90o/o of vehicle purchases. I should know because I was a car salesman. :eek:

15. Mar 31, 2014 at 4:26 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I would not get real upset over the windshield in two different vehicles in 5 years 3 in my VW 2 in my old Taco. My 2011 has had one also. Glass is glass every windshield is made of the same stuff. If you live in an area where they put stuff on the road in the winter you'll will have to replace a windshield at some point no matter what you buy.

16. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    OP I am sure I will catch some flack for this comment. And I am also sure you are a good hearted woman and are only trying to help your husband not make foolish decisions. I applaud your efforts to do research and make the best decision you can for your vehicle purchase.

That being said, sometimes you just need to let it go and let him make a decision you don't necessarily agree with. Not out of spite, but out of showing respect to your husband. Wether he deserves it or not. Studies have shown that the majority of men would rather feel respected than loved by their spouse. Just as the majority of women would rather feel loved. Of coarse their are always exceptions.

I am sure it would be a hard thing to do. Letting him make a decision that you feel in your heart is not the best one. But ask yourself which is more important too you. Making your husband feel that you respect him as a man and that you trust him to make important decisions for your family. Or, getting what you feel is the best deal on a truck. You may be completely correct about him not making good decisions. But, treat a man as he is and he will remain that way. Treat him as he could be and he will become what he should be.

Rant over, carry on. And good luck with the truck hunt OP.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  17. Mar 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    bear263

bear263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    Did anyone else notice that the truck has the jbl option? According to the description, it has 7 speakers and also if you look at the steering wheel, it has the voice button. It doesn't add much value to the resale, but it does add a little.

I purchased my 2011 taco dcsb in 2010 new and when I traded it in for a 2013 in 2012, it had 67k on it. All maintenance was performed at the dealer. Dealers can only see what was done at their dealership. You can take it to another dealer and it will not show up at the other. But should on Toyota's website. The op won't know without buying it and then register on Toyota's website. If the dealer will standby it, I see no problems with the mileage. The carfax shows it has been serviced. Oddly enough, at the same dealer selling it used. There is a gap from July 2012 to Dec 2013 with no reported records. But you never know. PO could have been in the military and it sat while they were overseas. KBB has this truck in my area from $21,900 to $23,100 with $22,541 for fair market value. I'd take a copy of kbb in with you and offer $22k. If the salesman won't budge, the go to the sales manager and then owner. If they want to sell, they'll come down.

18. Mar 31, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    Ehc0720

Ehc0720 Active Member

Member:
    My son just bought a 2012 Prerunner with 17K mi on it for $22K.

19. Mar 31, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    Ehc0720

Ehc0720 Active Member

Member:
    ... don't trust a car fax given to you by the dealer. I've bought 2 vehicles in the past that I've run the car fax my self on and they did not match the dealers copy. In both instances theirs started about 6 mo after they were put into service, one had been in a fender bender ( at 3 mo old, I had it checked and the front fender had been replaced but everything else looked good), the other was a rental for 6 mo (had 6K mi on it) and they told me it was a customer courtesy car for 3 mo.

20. Mar 31, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I was going to say the same thing. Could be a 2012 bought mid 2011, we are basically talking 25k miles a year which is just about what I do. Sometimes 30k. I wouldn't be concerned with the mileage, just the truck itself.

Products Discussed in

To Top