1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's talk about Lug nuts.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eyebrows, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    eyebrows

eyebrows [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    ARB bumper Marker Lights KC Lights Clearance lights Various Plasti-Dip Locking bed storage Cross bed toolbox
    So the other day i was driving home from napa strangely enough. I felt a jolt and some crazy vibrations, when I pulled over i found my passenger rear wheel sitting crooked, turns out 5 of my lugs stripped out and and the 6th sheared clear off! Amazingly the drum dropped down onto the wheel and stayed rested on it for about 400 yards till i stopped. I had it towed to the Les Schwab near my house and they said they were the wron nuts, I always thought they looked odd with the wheels. Almost a quarter of the socket was in the hole on the rim. These are the standard 07trd wheels, i got new lugs all around at $5 a piece it was nothing short of highway roberey nut at this point I figured I'd avoided death long enough. so 24 lugs and 6 new studs got be back on the road. anyone else run into this problem?

2. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    On used vehicles with aftermarket wheels, it's not uncommon at all.
    Previous owner either doesn't know, or cheaps out and tries to use the stock nuts on aftermarket, or for some other reason has the wrong parts.

3. Mar 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    eyebrows

eyebrows [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    ARB bumper Marker Lights KC Lights Clearance lights Various Plasti-Dip Locking bed storage Cross bed toolbox
    That's what i figured, whoeverowned this truck before me had no idea what he was doing. I've probably spent close to 8 hours tracking down every wiring connection he made, (stripping ad wrapping wires then taping over them) and soldering and heat shrinking them all. I'm starting to go insane!

Products Discussed in

To Top