Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Tacoma backup camera.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
scoobydooz is just really nicescoobydooz is just really nicescoobydooz is just really nicescoobydooz is just really nicescoobydooz is just really nice
EMS: Metro West Ambulance
Name: Skylar
scoobydooz's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Tacoma backup camera.

I guess this sounds really stupid, but is there a way to turn the backup camera on while in drive?

The reason I ask. I was behind an Audi today, and noticed the guy in front of me with his back up camera fully on while driving down the highway. I could make out the bugs on my grill...

has anyone tried this??

I understand there are after market cams that can do this, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to trick the cam into thinking I'm reversing.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooz View Post
I guess this sounds really stupid, but is there a way to turn the backup camera on while in drive?

The reason I ask. I was behind an Audi today, and noticed the guy in front of me with his back up camera fully on while driving down the highway. I could make out the bugs on my grill...

has anyone tried this??

I understand there are after market cams that can do this, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to trick the cam into thinking I'm reversing.
Does your truck have the Temp / Compass in the mirror also? If it does then just remember the camera being on will take the place of that. I see no reason personally to have the camera on all the time since it is in the rear view mirror looking at exactly the same image of your mirror but whatever you like I suppose.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
AlanLoshbaugh is on a distinguished road
Name: Alan
AlanLoshbaugh's Tacoma Gallery
I hope it's ok to tack on another backup cam question here:
Can the visual display on the radio be made to show the backup cam?
Both the Dodge and Nissan we have at work put the pic on the a/v display, and that's nice.
The pic in the mirror is awfully small.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a good mod to have ... I may try it myself. There are some situations when it would be nice to have it on constantly, like when backing up into a tight spot when you're going back/forward/back/forward etc... That lag in waiting for the camera to come on after you shift is annoying (at least it in on my manual tranny truck... I don't know if the autos have that lag, too)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyS View Post
I don't know if the autos have that lag, too
No lag in mine.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
welterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant future
Navy: HT1
welterbf123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLoshbaugh View Post
I hope it's ok to tack on another backup cam question here:
Can the visual display on the radio be made to show the backup cam?
Both the Dodge and Nissan we have at work put the pic on the a/v display, and that's nice.
The pic in the mirror is awfully small.
My 2012 has the JBL system and it displays the backup camera on the radio display. I'm pretty sure this is a JBL thing. I don't think it can be done without it....
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
It seems user Nimrod sells a kit on ebay to make it work
but, I'm still researching that.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
smgcon will become famous soon enough
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Constable with 31 years service (Rtd)
Name: Geoff
smgcon's Tacoma Gallery
I have the kit from ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321276767143#ht_891wt_1014

Works great, easy to install. I had it on a 2013 radio, and now I have it on a 2014 Nav radio. You can configure it for the radio or radio/mirror display.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Does the mirror LCD still work with that?
That's cool.

Did you do the install?
If so; how hard was that?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the kit from Ebay and installed it in my '13... it works fantastic! You would not want to display in the mirror and the radio at the same time, the quality will be crap. FYI, if you do this you will loose the grid that is in the mirror view, that resides in the mirror.

Can you turn it ON while driving.... Yes you can. You have to pull your lower dash to expose the connector to the left of the steering wheel and splice into the red wire. I know this because you have to do this when you install the kit.

The lower dash comes out pretty easy, you can put the camera into the radio for $70 and an hour worth of work start to finish.... probably less if you did it before.

Here was my review: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...ll-review.html

IMO, turning ON the backup cam while driving is useless, it points down more than it points out. If you want to see the guy's grille behind you then maybe its worth it, I don't think you'll be able to check out the chickie behind you...LOL
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
IMO, turning ON the backup cam while driving is useless, it points down more than it points out. If you want to see the guy's grille behind you them maybe its worth it, I don't think you'll be able to check out the chickie behind you...LOL
Exactly my point
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
posseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
posseejesse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by welterbf123 View Post
My 2012 has the JBL system and it displays the backup camera on the radio display. I'm pretty sure this is a JBL thing. I don't think it can be done without it....
Ive had a 2011 jbl and now have a 2013 jbl system and both displayed in the mirror still. There is some kind of wiring that you can do to achieve this in the radio display. Did you buy your truck new or used?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
hotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhotrod53 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lynd
hotrod53's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 non-jbl and I bought the wiring kit to put the backup cam into the radio and installed it myself. My 2013 is being lemoned out and I'm expecting my 2014 in a week or so. I removed my backup wiring kit and I'm being told that 2014 has it in the radio already. Once I find out for sure that this is true, I'll be putting the kit up for sale. The guy who sold them on ebay doesn't list them anymore, I assume because 2014 doesn't need it. The kit was $69 new and I have all of the instructions including the installation pictures that came with the kit. I'll make someone a deal if I don't need it.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
here's the guy that used to do them; he's a member here.
don't know if he still does or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251494480549...549%26_rdc%3D1

Might be interested in yours if you sell it...thx