1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weather and traffic apps.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GANGGREEN, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    GANGGREEN

GANGGREEN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a new 2014 and I've been completely unable to access these apps. When I found out that I didn't have the auto-dimming mirror with compass and temp gauge, I was rather upset but I figured the weather app would do basically the same thing. Unfortunately, every time that I try to use the app I get a message that "HD radio is not available in this area". When I mentioned it to my wife, she suggested that HD radio is probably something that's only available in the larger urban areas but when I was in Erie, PA a few weeks ago, I couldn't use the apps there either.

I live in a very rural area and it doesn't surprise me that I might not get it here but in Erie? Exactly what is HD radio and where should it be available? Do most of you use the weather and traffic apps in your areas? Is my unit behaving as it should or is something wrong that I need to address? By the way, if it matters, I have the Entune Audio Plus.

2. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Definitely need to be in a HD radio "zone". Not sure about Erie, but here in Denver and into the mountains, I have no issues getting this data to come through. Traffic app is, meh. I only use it when I see traffic backing up and it seems to be quite delayed, at least for me.

3. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    GANGGREEN

Member:
    Thanks. Like I said, I live in a rural area and very rarely travel into urban zones anyway so I don't need or care about the traffic app but I'd like to have the weather. Sadly, I've got nearly 3000 miles on the truck and have taken several trips (Syracuse, NY, Erie, PA and State College, PA) and have yet to find a spot where I had HD radio. Is there a map posted anywhere that shows where those zones are? Is there such a thing as a booster that I could get for the truck? What exactly is HD; what's the technology, cell towers?

4. Apr 3, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    GANGGREEN

Member:
    OK, so I just looked at a map on Bing images and my area isn't supposed to receive HD coverage but Syracuse, Erie and State College do, according to that map. What gives? Is there anyone in my area (northern PA, western NY) who gets HD coverage?

5. Apr 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    drewp

drewp Well-Known Member

Member:
    south Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport/DCLB
    I'm in the PHilly area and I do get the weather and traffic apps. I also have a '14 with the Entune Plus. I know when I visit relatives in upstate, PA, I lose the signal. Even around Scranton/Hazleton, etc. Even when I have the apps....I think they're pretty useless.

6. Apr 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    GANGGREEN

Member:
    Thanks Drew. Like I said, I have no use for the traffic app but there are times that I'd like to know the ambient temperature or get a decent forecast(like when I'm camping) and I've never gotten them. I may contact Toyota to see what they suggest or see if others in my area (or in State College, Erie, etc.) are getting the apps. Thanks for the response.

7. Mar 23, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    calraith

calraith pleb

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Johnson City, TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 CCSB TRD Off-Road
    I came across this thread from a Google search and have some information to share, so I thought I might as well create an account and add my $0.02.

I called Toyota's 1-800 line about this issue today. I get the impression they get this question a lot. For the Entune Plus models, there's no way to have a paired Bluetooth device supply the GPS or Internet access for weather or map data. The weather and nav apps will only work in major metropolitan areas where an HD radio signal is broadcast.

Toyota's support staff pointed me to the ttwnetwork.com website to check whether there's an appropriate broadcast in my area. When you go there, hover over Solutions --> Navigation / Data --> then click on RDS TMC Coverage Maps. There are only 3 cities in Tennessee that offer this service. Seems pretty useless to me.

By the way, HD stands for hybrid digital according to my local public broadcasting radio station. It does not stand for high definition.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Joe D likes this.
  8. Mar 23, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    Not sure about this but you might want to make sure the HD Radio is on. I have mine off because I can't stand it flipping back and forth between HD and regular.

Joe D and JimboAnz like this.
  9. Mar 24, 2016 at 3:19 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    The weather part of the HD radio, to get the weather map and temperature, probably wouldn't really work for you anyway OP. It doesn't give you the info for your specific location, only for the closest major city to where you are, so if you're not near one then it basically becomes useless. I know that because I have a 2014 that had the non nav unit but was the Entune one, and I checked the weather app one day messing around with it. I upgraded it to one with nav and it's the same thing. I don't really use the weather app on it so I don't really care, but the traffic thing on the nav is pretty sweet. That comes in handy for sure!

Joe D likes this.
  10. Mar 24, 2016 at 4:20 AM
    jevsrt

jevsrt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 dcsb 4x4 (xsp bling)
    Silly question but do you have your antenna on the truck, I bought my truck new and I just figured they didn't come with one,(since they come with the shark fInn thing) one day I found it laying in the back seat rest by the window..I put it on and helped a lot in getting HD Radio signal

11. Mar 24, 2016 at 4:23 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    I never pull up the traffic, it sux. occasionally look at the weather to get a ballpark temp, but never 100% accurate since its from next door town usually. temp on my phone is better.

12. Mar 24, 2016 at 4:34 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Yeah, its pretty useless both weather and traffic. Ill use it when im too lazy to pull my phone out of my pocket which isn't often. Firstworldproblems

13. Mar 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM
    ElderP

ElderP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    15 Access 4x4 V6 SR5
    Installed Cooper At/3's (265/70R16) and ProComp 7089 Rims. Tinted front windows. Did the Fog Light Anytime mod. Did the tailgate mod. Added running boards. Adding sound Deadening from RAAMaudio. Replacing stock speakers with Polk Audio DB6501's.
  14. Mar 24, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    good info on that website

15. Mar 24, 2016 at 5:16 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Pretty much what the others have said. I've got a 2014 T4R.

I live in an area with no HD (no internet either without satellite unless you want dial up or 1x on your cell). But, mine does work when I'm near larger urban areas.

I drive into and out of service going to work and coming home. It isn't a predictable service. Sometimes I get the HD signal 50 miles away from my work and sometimes it's 15 miles from work.

Traffic almost always seems delayed and weather only applies to areas near but not at my location.

I have found the weather map pretty accurate.

16. Mar 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM
    Cativelense

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    This is a very good suggestion, OP. Make sure you have the antenna on your ride... if you don't then that might be part of the reason why it doesn't work.

17. Mar 24, 2016 at 6:16 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Guys I think we can safely say OP is long gone. Nevertheless maybe someone else can benefit from the info.

"GANGGREEN was last seen: May 26, 2014"

18. Mar 24, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    Cativelense

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    AH. Didn't even notice that. Totally missed that it was a "dead" thread and someone else "revived" it.

19. Mar 24, 2016 at 6:30 AM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top