1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bandland 9,000lb Winch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Apr 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hi Guys,

I'm interested in getting a hitch mount winch as a precaution for when I'm off road. I don't go rock crawling and am generally on flat, wide, hard trails –*but I have noticed that very quickly a trail can go from hard to quite soft. On the spectrum of rock crawler to overland, I am on the overland side. I generally am off road either for camping or for getting to places to ride dirt bikes.

So, that said, I am not in the market for an ARB bumper and expensive winch, but I would feel more comfortable with a winch and the hitch mount option seems good for me!

What do you guys think of a 9,000lb Badland Winch and a Haulmaster Hitch Mount? Again, I'm not going out with the intent of getting stuck and needing to winch myself out. I drive conservatively and do my best not to get stuck, but it would be nice to know I could winch myself out! [This fall I was winched out by a Rino UTV]. I do drive a Sport PreRunner and plan on switching up to a 4WD, but that's not an option at the moment and I love MY truck.

Thanks for any input!

2. Apr 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    from what I have read online, badlands only last a couple of times and stop, and if your in a sticky situation you don't want that. Exspecially if your by your self trying to get to a camping spot. Honestly, being in the same spot as you hunting for a winch, that I may only use every now and again, Im going to spend the money once. That being said, a reputable company like warn is what comes to mind. Even if you get there entry level winches (VR I believe) I think your doing better than the badlands. Personally, I am thinking of the M8000 model which is still manufactured in the states ('Merica).

I do know warns are pricey, but even a superwinch or something a little more reputable than harbor freight. May want to look for warrantees, and read a bunch of reviews to see which is the best bang for the buck. Also I have heard a few good things about Engo winches (I think that's how you spell it) which are a pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  3. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much! I will look into more reputable brands and reviews, though a lot of the WARN winches seem way out of my budget. As I would really like to not spend more than $400 on the set up due to it's infrequent use.

How are you planning on mounting the winch to your truck?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked your build and saw your winch bumper!

4. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    haha yeah winch bumper for me.
    Though you don't want to spend money on the winch due to its infrequent use, think of it as only buying a winch once. Though it may not be used a lot, it will be used for a long time. So even if you get a good reputable brand, it will still last you, and you can put it on your 4x4 when the time comes. with proper maintenance of course :D

there are people here who are running, undercover winches where they sit behind the bumper, you can also do the hitch setup like you originally planned as well.
    Personally, if you don't want the weight up on the front all the time, the hidden hitch is probably your best bet.

5. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
  6. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    You're not going to get a decent winch for $400, about $150 will get you an alright come along. That would probably be a better option if you budget is that low and it's infrequent use. Come alongs are slow but they're affordable and work well.

7. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    400 on the whole setup including hitch is a little tight. A come along would be good alternative, paired with a snatch block or something. Would be slow, but it's better than nothing. Wouldn't have to get the front hitch either.

8. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a come-along that you recommend? I would be interested in that, but most of them online seem to be in the 30-40 dollar range and that just seems too cheap to me.

The Engo90000 was rated highly by 4Wheeler magazine [link above] and at $325, it beat out a number of $1000 competitors. I would be really interested in that!

I'm thinking of starting a new thread if searching on TW doesn't give me results since the title to this thread is somewhat irrelevant now.

The Smitty Built XRC 8 also looks like a good option

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/38.htm

I've yet to be in a situation where winching myself out backwards wouldn't be an option. This is because I don't go on very complicated trails.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  9. Apr 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Can't really recommend a come along. I only use a hi lift but haven't been in a situation where I needed it yet, not trying hard enough I guess. There are specific come alongs, and though they may be a little dangerous as you are right in harms way when cranking on the thing they are better than nothing.

If you were to get a winch with a from hitch you would have the option to winch forward or backwards. Though you don't go on complecTed trails maybe you want another run at an obstacle or something :p. With the come along you can just use the rear hitch and front tow point as an anchor.

Regardless of what you get, getting a good recovery kit with tree straps, shackles, snatch ect may be beneficial.

10. Apr 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
  11. Apr 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM
    RedlineTRD

RedlineTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Peyton, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB MT
    Working on it.
    I have the 12,000lb badlands with the front hitch from CBI, so I can mount it either front or back. I keep it in the bed when its not needed. I have zero complaints with this winch and its worth the $. If you time it right with a coupon you can get it for $299 with a wireless remote. Than pay the extra $49 for the warrenty and for any reason if it ever breaks you get a new one no questions asked. These winches scored right up there with the top brands in a test by 4wheeler magazine. Biggest downfall was line speed, and who cares if it takes an extra 3 min to get unstuck, your NOT stuck anymore right? They also roll off the same assembly line as superwinch and TMAX.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  12. Apr 5, 2014 at 5:11 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Is this the review from 4wheer redline? http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/

The badlands didn't work out of the box. Though you have a warrantee what happens if the winch fails when you need it. Sure you will get your money back, but that's not going to help you get unstuck. Guess it's not a big deal, but just something to think about.

13. Apr 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Kneeboarder1025

Kneeboarder1025 member-in-training

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Vehicle:
    '03 Forester
    Hi - I know I'm a first gen posting in the 2nd gen area, but I was recently looking into a similar setup and thought I'd chime in

It may have not worked for the 4wheeler test, but it did remarkable well in the the Moab Jeeper Winches in Hell

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

I had been researching this topic pretty heavily until I was able to pick up a M8000 on Craigslist for $350 so it's a moot point.

There is a several page thread on the Badlands 12000 over ih8mud as well, with mostly good reports. Also a great deal on the XRC8.

But I was leaning toward the Engo, in part becuase of the before mentioned 4wheeler article, and because at the time I found a vendor that had it with a synthetic line for $399 with free shipping - this was a few months ago. I was about to pull the trigger when the M8000 popped up on CL and snagged it. Then got a Warn Multi-mount knock-off off Amazon for $60 that seemed stouter then the HF receiver winch mount. I've got a Curt front receiver, which I know they make for the 2nd Gens, though if I could get a High clearance front receiver like CBI's for a 1st Gen I would have - but I'm on a tight budget so Curt receiver it was. I know it loses a lot of approach angle, and I haven't had a chance to try it on the trail yet, so I may re-think this, but I didn't have money for a winch bumper, and definitely didn't have the money to upgrade the front suspension, so that's what governed my choices.

I have put the winch to work pulling some small trees out off the ground, and do plan to get out on the trail with it. I also camp abit, and would be over in the overland side of the scale as well

Hope it helps

14. Apr 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    You can currently get the 12000lb Badland from HF with coupon for $299. This code is good until 4/30/14.. You can use the online promo code: 78559661 . For those who also want a free cheap multi tester with any HF online purchase, search item #90899, then use promo code:41329588
    [​IMG]

To Top