1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any reason NOT to go with a bumper replacement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dnasty, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    Dnasty

Dnasty [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Iowa
    All,

I am new to the forum here and am in the market for a new do-all vehicle and am leaning toward a Tacoma. Is there any reason to not go with a full bumper replacement for a Tacoma? I see that a lot of serious off-roaders have them to give better angles. Would you recommend doing this on a daily driver?

I am looking at different bumper replacements as I do a lot of hunting/fishing/outdoor activities and have had two collisions with deer that were pretty costly.

Does bumper replacement grille-guard have much of an effect of fuel econ? What about air-bag effectiveness? If you go with a replacement, should you modify your suspension to compensate for added weight?

I appreciate any advice.

2. Apr 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Ur gunna need a suspension upgrade

3. Apr 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    ^^^This, suspension is the pinnacle of all other upgrades. Trust me, I've done months worth of reading and research on this.

If you're gonna do a plate bumper I'd consider full skids too which will add weight as well so again, a quality suspension is gonna compliment this.

4. Jan 28, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Thread revival... I'm in the same scenario. Just for looks, deer, and 2 - 4 lights. I don't off road, maybe the occasional dirt road and trail. Don't know if I wanna blow $500 to $1000 on a "novelty"

5. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    I'm looking more toward trimming weights not adding on the Taco so im not much help to you here.

6. Jan 28, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    You also have to cut your liners (I just ended up removing mine altogether) and when you do that it leaves the air box intake port open to the elements (on 2nd gens anyway).

There is also a different front suspension unless you like the huge rake and an improper ride.

7. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    Don't get one. You will not see appreciable increase in the Delicious Factor in your life if you buy one.

Plate bumpers are for protection against rocks when you're on the trail, wheeling the fuck out of your truck.

Plate bumpers are for housing a winch, so you can pull yourself out of bad spots, or pull others out of bad spots, while you're wheeling the fuck out of your truck.

Plate bumpers are for increased approach angle, to get your tires onto rocks without crushing the lower portion of a bumper, so you can crawl on top of them while wheeling the fuck out of your truck.

Plate bumpers are for stuffing bigger tires, to help you crawl over stuff while you're wheeling the fuck out of your truck.

Since you're not going to wheel the fuck out of your truck, you can see that the plate bumper might not be a very good option for you.

Since the plate bumper expose the tires, and if you look at it from a pure Aerodynamic Standpoint, it's gonna smash the face of your tires into the wind, causing you to have to maintain higher RPMs to keep your speed up while you're on your way to the Mall Parking Lot.

Most plate bumpers are very heavy and will require you to get a suspension upgrade just to drive your truck without it smooshing your front springs and causing you to bottom out while going over speed bumps during your 20th trip around the Mall Parking Lot.

8. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    I'm noticing a pattern.

9. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    Tailgate semis in deer country. Also deers hate Nikiki manaj, blast that shit singing offkey. And that iggy girl. I g g y offkey. Deer flee.

10. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The Buckstop bumper on my Ram 3500 slays deer without leaving any sign of the incident on the truck, at least none that can't be wiped off :D

11. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:

:rofl:

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    mAtTyG04

mAtTyG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quick Sand OR
    6112 Front Suspension, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Nitto Ridge Grappler - LT285/75R17 C, Rear Blackout Tacoma Badge, De-badged, Icon Rebound Wheels, TRD Grill Gights, CBI Ditch Light Brackets w/ Baja Design Lights, Husky Liners, JBA UCAs, Geenlane Off-road Sliders, Tacotrooper Decal, DuraBump Rear Bump Stops, Pro-clip USA Phone Mount
    I have one and I don't wheel hardcore. My truck is my daily driver. I hunt and fish a bit. I did loose a bit of fuel economy but not enough to not add the bumper. I do have a little more peace of mind knowing if some moron cuts me off or a deer jumps out in front of me I have a lot more protection than a stock bumper. I did not trim the liner. I just have it tucked up in the bumper. I can easily go back to stock if I desire to. It's nice to be able to add a winch down the road should I choose to plus I think it looks good. It all boils down to personal preference. Some don't want the added weight, hate the look, have to justify it with hardcore off-roading. At the end of the day it's your truck and $ so do what you like.

13. Jan 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only bumper I think that's strictly for offroad use is a HC rear. Other than that, all plate bumpers are street friendly IMO. Deer or dickheads, there's a lot of times more protection is better, and they provide it.

14. Jan 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    Post of the year! I love it!! haha

Products Discussed in