1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Inflatable X-Jack –*Recovery Gear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hi Guys,

So, I have been looking into getting some more recovery gear in case I get stuck.

I generally off road on hard surfaces, but I have learned that hard surfaces can quickly turn soft and one can get stuck. I would say I am more of an overlander than a rock-crawler. I am usually off road for camping or to get places to ride my dirt bike or mountain bike. Note: I would love to have Long Travel, 4x4, etc and be able to tear around trails off road, but being in college, I can't afford to break things, etc etc. I get my thrills on the dirt bike and the mountain bike.

I've looked into winches, but they are just out of my budget. As far as I can tell, it would be 300 for an entry level winch, 120 for the hitch mount & 100 for the cable to connect it to my battery from the back of the truck = $520 + accessories like tree savors or sand anchors. One of the places I generally go, really has nothing to attach a winch too anyway.

I am currently looking into getting an ARB X-Jack. These are a sort of orange inflatable bag that can lift the truck 31 inches. I figure that if I ever dig into soft stuff, with this, I could lift the truck out of the soft stuff, fill in the whole and be on my way. Generally, I wouldn't trust something like this, but it has great reviews and ARB is a great company. At about $250, I want to make sure I'm spending my money on the right piece of recovery gear!

I would also invest in a thick rubber mat to cut into strips to use as a traction aid, and some wood blocks.

I have thought about a high lift, because it could be used as a winch or a jack, but it sounds dangerous to use as a winch and I really don't have anywhere to use a high lift on my truck except the trailer hitch, which seems to be discouraged.

1. Do any of you have experience with the X-Jack?

2. Is this the best place to spend my money on recovery gear?

3. $250 for the X-Jack is almost half the cost of the winch – should I spend that extra money and get a winch, or will the X-Jack suffice?

4. Am I not well enough equipped and just shouldn't off road? I've been fine for the last few years, off roading in the desert and on trails 5-10 times a year, but I'm just wondering if I'm stretching my luck. – I am very conservative off road.

Current Recovery Gear
    - Folding Sovel (Small)
    - Air Compressor (to Air Down, before I need to be recovered)
    - Standard Mechanics Tools
    - Survival Gear (water, food, lights, etc)
    - Tow Strap from Target
    - Blocks of Wood

I definitely need a little more recovery gear to be safe, so I want to know if you guys think the X-Jack and thick rubber mats would be a good addition?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    I personally would not get one. I'd get a Hi-Lift Xtreme and a offroad base. Then get a winch. There is a winch kit for the Hi-lift as well, they are the most underrated offroad tool you can have. Lots and lots of uses. to me an x-jack would only be useful if your only in sand alot.

3. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    How can I use a Hi-Lift on my truck if I don't have sliders, or steel bumpers?

I'm really looking for a way to get out if my back wheels dig in.

Is the Hi-Lift dangerous to use as a winch? Is it easy for the handle to snap back?

4. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
  5. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now

Same questions even though I plan on getting sliders

6. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I may be completely wrong, but I really feel like I would be better off with one of these shop jacks than a high lift since i wheel on flat surfaces and have no where to use a high lift on my truck. The X-Jack seems like it would be the best tool to get out if my back wheels dig in!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. Apr 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Anybody have any opinions?

8. Apr 6, 2014 at 11:18 PM
    gordi

gordi Only had a wheel fall off once

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB trd sport
    Fox 2.5 extended travel, dakars, rear 5125 255/80/17 cooper maxx ST
    I got stuck today and a hi lift on my tow hitch lifted both rears and i put logs under them and i am lifted in 4x4 with new toyo MT with deep tread. Damn mountain side spring fed the road bog i got stuck in, 3 hrs later two trucks chained together ahead of me with a 200 ft cable to a block and tackle chained to a tree behind me then chained to me i got out.....If you get plate bumper dont be a *** and not get a winch, until then sliders and a hi lift and be smart on how you use it. I have a painted rear bumper with no scratches on it and its never been scratched or dented.

9. Apr 7, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yes and no. "If" you know how to properly use one then they are relatively safe. "But...." you have to know what you are doing with them. Not only are they good for getting your truck off the ground they can be used for a multitude of numerous other things such as winching.

My opinion on air bags off road is you are pretty limited as to what you will be able to do with them. Yes they will lift your vehicle off the ground and do it relatively fast. But you will not be able to "shift" your vehicle while in the air. If you need to put something under a tire for traction then yes they would be good for that.

The experience I have with air bags is with auto extrication. We carry 3 sets on our Truck and they work very well for helping to stabilize a vehicle. That said we use other means along with the air bags to assure stabilization.

Long answer but yes it would not hurt to add that to your arsenal of off road equipment. Just remember they won't be ideal for every situation.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  10. Apr 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    One other thing I forgot to mention. It is amazing how little amount of air it takes to lift a vehicle with a bag. But like with anything you must train on the proper use of them to become proficient with them and understand their limitations.

11. Apr 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    Without sliders or a front bumper you are limited to uses. You can still use it to lift the rear with a shackle receiver. I'd honestly look at getting sliders, they can be done relatively cheaply. A Hi-Lift used properly as a winch is safe just slow. However improper use of it in any of it's many uses can be dangerous. I'm a cheap guy on somethings and another way would be a bottle jack on a large base. Really though if all your in is sand then the x-jack would be best, if you ever plan to get into other terrain I'd just get a Hi-Lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top